Dallas' Plan B

Deron is obviously plan A, but what do they do if they miss out on him? They basically threw this season by not re-signing guys like Chander in order to mantain that cap flexibility to make signing Williams a possibility and their entire future basically depends on being able to lure Deron home.

So what do they do if he doesn't sign? There really aren't a lot of free agent options that could be considered a worthy consolation prize for missing out on Williams. The only thing I can think of that would be anywhere close to signing Deron would be bringing Nash back. Would that be their plan B, reunite Dirk and Nash?

Plan A - Obviously try signing Williams

Plan B - Sign Nash and try going for another defensive free agent big i feel that Omer Asik would be a good fit. If you cant grab Asik then go for bigs like Kaman or Camby. With the way the NBA is shaping up you really dont need a true center anymore, getting a defensive big would be good enough.

Edited by ChosenOne

I feel like Nash will be in Dallas if they miss out on Deron. I'd be shocked if they missed on Deron though. It is gonna take Brooklyn acquiring Dwight for Deron to not be wearing a Nets jersey. Is the Mavs situation perfect? Nope, but it is 1000x better than it is in Brooklyn, plus its his hometown. Cuban is the best owner in the world too so that helps, you know he is never gonna cheap out on putting talent around Deron like Utah did.

I think theres a much better chance Deron would sign in Dallas than Nash. Don't get me wrong, it would be a decent fit for Nash. I've read somewhere that supposedly Phoenix, Portland and Toronto are the three teams he's considering right now. I can't remember who it was that said this, so it might not be that viable. It was from a sports network though, I believe the Score.

I think theres a much better chance Deron would sign in Dallas than Nash. Don't get me wrong, it would be a decent fit for Nash. I've read somewhere that supposedly Phoenix, Portland and Toronto are the three teams he's considering right now. I can't remember who it was that said this, so it might not be that viable. It was from a sports network though, I believe the Score.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1189044

This is where I saw that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Some stuff i heard.

Supposedly dallas is going after roy hibbert, goran dragic, michael beasely, steve nash, eric gordon, kyle lowry, an dwight howard.

most likely hibbert and gordon will match offers, and dwight is prob a no go.

one thing i can see happen is signing nash+kaman or maybe kyle lowry coming here.

Some stuff i heard.

Supposedly dallas is going after roy hibbert, goran dragic, michael beasely, steve nash, eric gordon, kyle lowry, an dwight howard.

most likely hibbert and gordon will match offers, and dwight is prob a no go.

one thing i can see happen is signing nash+kaman or maybe kyle lowry coming here.

I could be wrong so I'm more asking but I thought if a guy is restricted and a team(portland) offers a contract and he accepts, isn't it now only between the team that has that guy restricted(indy) and portland on where that player would go? Sorry for the run on. Lol.

I could be wrong so I'm more asking but I thought if a guy is restricted and a team(portland) offers a contract and he accepts, isn't it now only between the team that has that guy restricted(indy) and portland on where that player would go? Sorry for the run on. Lol.

Technically you are right but until the offer sheet has actually been signed (which Hibbert can't do until July 11th) nothing is set in stone. Portland or Hibbert could back out and change their mind since it is nothing but a verbal agreement at this point. It would be awful business and you rarely see anything like that happen, but it is a possibility.

Once the offer sheet has been signed, then what you are saying is 100% true. It would either be Portland or Indiana for him and no other team could enter the mix.

Technically you are right but until the offer sheet has actually been signed (which Hibbert can't do until July 11th) nothing is set in stone. Portland or Hibbert could back out and change their mind since it is nothing but a verbal agreement at this point. It would be awful business and you rarely see anything like that happen, but it is a possibility.

Once the offer sheet has been signed, then what you are saying is 100% true. It would either be Portland or Indiana for him and no other team could enter the mix.

I guess maybe that was what I was kinda getting at is that CUSTOMARILY teams or players don't back out once its agreed upon. But I see what you're saying now.