Which playoff format is better?

ChosenOne

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never liked the finals format...it kind of screws over the top seed because all the pressure is on them to win both their home games. Even if they manage to win one on the road, in the back of their mind, they know they can be beat at home anyways during those last two games.

Edited by SRV

2-2-1-1-1 EASILY 2-3-2 is AWFUL literally the worst playoff format there should be no reason why the Heat have more home games played than the Thunder at one point in the series, I honestly don't see why it's not 2-2-1-1-1 3-3-1 is better 2-3-2

2-3-2 puts way too much of an emphasis on the first two games.

Using this year as an example.

If OKC wins the first two at home, they go to Miami needing to win just 1 of the 3 in order to have 2 closeout games in a row at home. Stupid.

If Miami wins the first two on the road, they get 3 games in a row at home. Stupid.

If the series is split, Miami has to win 2 in order to avoid having to face two straight closeout games on the road. Stupid.

Basically, whoever is the first to 2 wins in this series will win the series under this format. 18 of the last 20 Finals winners were the team that won 2 games first (coincidently, the two times they didn't win both involved Miami and Dallas).

• Like 2

The 2-3-2 is horrible. The fact that if both teams take care of home court the team with home court ADVANTAGE plays down in the series, well thats just stupid. This is the only league with this format (I believe), and it is probably to make for easier media travel. So stupid, and something they should seriously consider changing. This series is a perfect example, even if OKC wins one back on the road, they head home down 3-2, so dumb.

I honestly dont mind other one. I kind of like how the finals format is set up, it gives it a different feeling then the regular playoffs. It really doesnt matter what the format is, either team has a chance to win. If you go up 2-0 at home, youre in a great position to close out when you come back home. If you split at home, no biggie just take a game on the road, and you ensure that the series will end on your court, meaning if you lose the other team has to close you out on the road. Conversely its a nice advantage for the lower seed if they split, they can close you out at home, but winning 3 in a row is hard to do. Still I think most teams would not mind a closeout opportunity on the road when you have 2 tries at it. It really can go either way and still favors the higher seed imo.

• Owner

and it is probably to make for easier media travel

That's absolutely correct. I don't remember who brought this up before, but I do recall that they learned it was true from Adam Silver. I almost want to say it was Ric Bucher...but with the Finals format, you have three plane flights (max) instead of the potential five you would have in a non-Finals seven-game series, and that's significant for both the media and the players.

I also prefer the 2-2-1-1-1 format. I don't like the idea of one team having 3 straight home games or having all their home games together. I would even prefer a 2-2-2-1 or a 1-2-2-1-1 over the 2-3-2 format. I'm sure there are still other possibilities that would be better than the current 2-3-2 style.

I also prefer the 2-2-1-1-1 format. I don't like the idea of one team having 3 straight home games or having all their home games together. I would even prefer a 2-2-2-1 or a 1-2-2-1-1 over the 2-3-2 format. I'm sure there are still other possibilities that would be better than the current 2-3-2 style.

2-2-2-1 would give the lower seed a game seven. Which wouldn't make any sense.

It's cute how the 2-3-2 didn't become a problem until the heat won the championship.

Lol, no. I never liked the 2-3-2 format. Plus, this topic was made before the Heat won.... -_-

Edited by Guru
  • Like 1