2012 Official NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Warren2ThaG

I'm listening Chris Grant and Byron Scott's press conference right now, and Chris Grant seems extremely confident about Waiters. He said that Dion was the best player on that Syracuse team and took the sacrifice to come off the bench on that team.

Ecstatic with the Jeremy Lamb pick, I can't believe he slipped that far and went after Austin Rivers and Terrence Ross. This was the "upside" pick I was hoping for, I don't see why the Raptors/Rockets couldn't come to an agreement but I'm happy with the Lamb pick although I REALLY wanted Drummond. Kevin Martin has to be out the door soon.

Not so high on the Royce White pick at 16th, Houston is said to be very high on him but we could have used Tyler Zeller moreso than another forward. I'll trust Daryl Morey and hope the upside with White was worth it.

Really wanted Perry Jones with the 18th pick, topped my board for weeks but seeing him fall all the way to the late first round makes me feel a bit better about it. Terrence Jones is another guy with high upside, probably not on Andre Drummond or Perry Jones level but its a low risk-high reward pick this late.

Overall decent draft although I'm disappointed we didn't make a trade for either a trade up or veteran (a 2 for 1 trade would have been nice, too many players now). I'm glad Morey and the staff went for the upside picks rather than playing it safe like they have the past few years.

Rockets have acquired another 2nd.

ClutchFans.net ‏@clutchfans

The minor move is a done deal but won't be done until tmrw. Involves someone in the draft. Very minor. Likely a 2nd rnd pick they acquired.

What a complete waste of a season.

Seriously, I put up with watching Jamaal Magloire, Rasual Butler, Alan Anderson, Ben Uzoh, Aaron Gray and Gary Forbes for Terrence [expletive]ing Ross?

Oh yeah, and then they pass on Quincy Miller for Quincy Acy? [expletive] Colangelo.

Kill me.

ClutchFans.net ‏@clutchfans

Source confirms the "minor move" by the Rockets was for the 53rd pick of the draft, Turkish power forward Furkan Aldemir.

Had a feeling the Rockets were going to try and pick up a 2nd for him. Good stash pick that late I suppose.

• Owner
The Lakers paid Dallas about $500,000 for the rights to Darius Johnson-Odom.

Okay, that is awesome. He's really a steal at 55. I was hoping he would fall all the way to 60...and I can't believe he fell that far.

The guys on NBATV ranked him as the biggest steal of the second round. Not saying much, though, but I like this.

Johnson-Odom was first-team All-Big East after averaging 18.3 points and 2.7 assists as a senior. Scored in double figures in 33 of 34 games

What a complete waste of a season.

Seriously, I put up with watching Jamaal Magloire, Rasual Butler, Alan Anderson, Ben Uzoh, Aaron Gray and Gary Forbes for Terrence [expletive]ing Ross?

Oh yeah, and then they pass on Quincy Miller for Quincy Acy? [expletive] Colangelo.

Kill me.

I think Terrence Ross looks like a pretty decent player. Good 3 point shooter, athletic, good defensively. I just wish they would have traded down with Houston to get him. Houston supposedly was very interested in Drummond, and when he ended up falling, I wish they could have found a way to pull off a draft and trade or something. I hope that they atleast tried.

I actually liked what the Rockets did this draft

I liked getting Jeremy Lamb at #12 and I was surprised he wasn't picked earlier I think we may have gotten a steal with him. He was easily the best player available at the time and he will probably be our started if the Rockets trade K-Mart like I expect them too.

The Royce White pick was a bit of a surprise I wanted Zeller here but I was actually a big fan of Royce White's game this year. He has a very good all around game that you don't see out of most guys his size and the thing that impresses me the most about him is his ball handling and court vision. He needs to improve his jumper and defense some but other than that I like his potential.

I really wanted the Rockets to get Perry Jones at #18 but Terrence Jones isn't bad. He's not as athletic as PJ3 or has the upside that PJ3 could possibly have but he's a better defender and he has an improved inside and out game.

Overall I would give the Rockets a B+

Not so high on the Royce White pick at 16th, Houston is said to be very high on him but we could have used Tyler Zeller moreso than another forward. I'll trust Daryl Morey and hope the upside with White was worth it.

Give him a chance he's going to be pretty good I believe. Like JYD said he's like a poor man's LeBron without the freakish athleticism and scoring ability. 6'8 260 with handles like a guard, good court vision, good strength, solid defense and decent but not great athleticism, and can go coast to coast and bulldoze through the lane.

Edited by htownborn

I'd give Raptors a C

They didn't fail the draft, but they really didn't do anything great. Their third pick seems pointless to me. I wish they would have used that with the other second to move up and get Draymond Green or Jae Crowder or something. I also really think they should have moved down with Houston, but I guess that might not have been possible. The rumours about them being interested in the Raptors pick may have been false, who knows.

Okay, that is awesome. He's really a steal at 55. I was hoping he would fall all the way to 60...and I can't believe he fell that far.

The guys on NBATV ranked him as the biggest steal of the second round. Not saying much, though, but I like this.

You're going to love DJ-O. Very hard worker with great skills too. Kid can both shoot and slash to the hoop when needed. I was really hoping the Bucks would get him with their 2nd rounder.

Now I have a reason to actually watch a Lakers game every once in awhile. :lol:

• Owner

You're going to love DJ-O. Very hard worker with great skills too. Kid can both shoot and slash to the hoop when needed. I was really hoping the Bucks would get him with their 2nd rounder.

Now I have a reason to actually watch a Lakers game every once in awhile. :lol:

A little undersized, though...that's the only thing I don't like. However, he plays bigger than he is, just because he's so athletic.

I'd give Raptors a C

They didn't fail the draft, but they really didn't do anything great. Their third pick seems pointless to me. I wish they would have used that with the other second to move up and get Draymond Green or Jae Crowder or something. I also really think they should have moved down with Houston, but I guess that might not have been possible. The rumours about them being interested in the Raptors pick may have been false, who knows.

Screw moving up for anybody. Just take Quincy Miller instead of Acy. I like Acy as a hustle big, but they already have Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, Gray and Valanciunas. Why take him? Roll the dice and hope Miller becomes what people thought he would coming out of high school. There is no excuse to pass up on his potential at that point in the draft, especially since the Raptors have such a gaping hole at SF as is.

I think Terrence Ross looks like a pretty decent player. Good 3 point shooter, athletic, good defensively. I just wish they would have traded down with Houston to get him. Houston supposedly was very interested in Drummond, and when he ended up falling, I wish they could have found a way to pull off a draft and trade or something. I hope that they atleast tried.

I don't hate Ross, but at 8th? No thanks.

Take a chance on Drummond. If him and Valanciunas both reach their potential, you are looking at potentially the best frontcourt duo in the league. With so little dominant big men, having two on the same team would make Toronto an absolutely lethal team as long as they surround them with the right mix of talent (shooting, good PnR point, etc...). That would enable them to bring Bargnani off the bench as a super sub scoring option or even play him at the 3 when playing zone. If the two of them end up not being able to co-exist, flip one for a position of need. I'm sure you would find more than a few willing suitors for either Drummond or Val.

Even if you want to go with a swing, take a chance on Lamb. He is a better shooter, longer and is more capable of creating his own offense than Ross is.

Honestly though, the thing that pisses me off more than anything is that the Raptors missed out on Harrison Barnes, a guy who I've been wanting on this team for the past 2 years, because of a [expletive]ing coin flip. Ugh.

Screw moving up for anybody. Just take Quincy Miller instead of Acy. I like Acy as a hustle big, but they already have Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, Gray and Valanciunas. Why take him? Roll the dice and hope Miller becomes what people thought he would coming out of high school. There is no excuse to pass up on his potential at that point in the draft, especially since the Raptors have such a gaping hole at SF as is.

Yeah I agree with you there. Quincy Miller was the higher rated prospect and plays in a position of need on our team. Our group of bigs just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and there is no way we can give minutes to all of them.

I don't hate Ross, but at 8th? No thanks.

Take a chance on Drummond. If him and Valanciunas both reach their potential, you are looking at potentially the best frontcourt duo in the league. With so little dominant big men, having two on the same team would make Toronto an absolutely lethal team as long as they surround them with the right mix of talent (shooting, good PnR point, etc...). That would enable them to bring Bargnani off the bench as a super sub scoring option or even play him at the 3 when playing zone. If the two of them end up not being able to co-exist, flip one for a position of need. I'm sure you would find more than a few willing suitors for either Drummond or Val.

I agree that Drummond would have been the better selecetion. But he has a very high risk with him. He's got all the tools, but hes pretty far from being a lock at being a dominant big.

Even if you want to go with a swing, take a chance on Lamb. He is a better shooter, longer and is more capable of creating his own offense than Ross is.

Honestly I prefer they take Ross over Lamb right now. I think byu the sounds of it, Ross has a good head on his shoulders and is a pretty smart kid. I know I shouldn't judge Lamb on a few interviews, but I just can't help but think he doesn't have the brains or drive to want to make the NBA. I know I could easily be wrong, but Lamb was one of the guys I really hoped we didn't take.

Honestly though, the thing that pisses me off more than anything is that the Raptors missed out on Harrison Barnes, a guy who I've been wanting on this team for the past 2 years, because of a [expletive]ing coin flip. Ugh.

I know, that really [expletive]ing stings. Must be a lot worse for you considering he's been your favourite player all throughout college and even before that. To think if we could have just lost one more game, we would have had Harrison Barnes.