Raptors Extend Qualifying Offers to Jerryd Bayless and Sonny Weems

Not huge news, but there was speculation that the Raptors wouldn't give QO's to either of these two players so I thought I'd post it anyways.

I can't really see them keeping (well, bringing back) Weems after drafting Ross and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bring Bayless back (all depends on Nash and if they amnesty Calderon), but I guess it doesn't hurt to make both of them restricted and have the option of matching any contract they receive.

Not huge news, but there was speculation that the Raptors wouldn't give QO's to either of these two players so I thought I'd post it anyways.

I can't really see them keeping (well, bringing back) Weems after drafting Ross and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bring Bayless back (all depends on Nash and if they amnesty Calderon), but I guess it doesn't hurt to make both of them restricted and have the option of matching any contract they receive.

I like both signings . Baylsis is still young and Weems is a good guy in the dressing room

I like both signings . Baylsis is still young and Weems is a good guy in the dressing room

Just to be clear, they aren't signed yet.

The Raptors just extended Qualifying Offers to them which makes both of them restricted free agents. They haven't signed new contracts yet and will still be free agents. The Raptors just have the right to match any contract that they are offered.

I really hope we bring Bayless back. I'd prefer we just trade Calderon to a team that needs him like the Lakers or maybe the Trailblazers or something. Bayless really impressed me last year, and I think at the very least he could be a very good back up point guard for us. Weems on the other hand, I honestly forgot he was still on the team. Like you said, with Ross being drafted, Weems is good as gone.

I think if the Raptors sign Nash and amnesty Calderon to create cap room to go after a small forward (likely scenario if you ask me) Bayless will be back assuming the price tag is reasonable.

With seeing how active he was during the whole workout process (him and DeRozan were at basically every single one of them watching from the sidelines and giving encouragement) I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back. He will backup Nash and then Uzoh will be the 3rd string point.

At least that is what I think will happen.

Bayless has been a good asset and regardless of his time spent in the league, he has room for improvement. I'm all for re-signing him. As for Weems, I like him as a character and as an athletic bench wing. The only issue was that Triano had no idea what he was doing and gave Weems the wrong role to play. With defensive teachings from Casey and a better role setting, Weems can be very effective for us. Thumbs up to both.

With the Lowry trade and a Calderon trade/amnesty looking unlikely, don't be surprised if Bayless' QO is rescinded since his cap hold is $7.6M and if Toronto wants to do anything else that doesn't involve a Calderon trade or amnesty, they will need that cap space.

Besides, assuming Calderon sticks around for the final year of his contract, where is Bayless going to play?

Lowry and Calderon will split the 48 minutes at point guard between them (maybe even play together a bit)

DeRozan, Ross and Fields will work out the 48 minutes at the 2 (with DeRozan and Fields playing some 3).

That leaves basically no room on the roster for Bayless.

I think he is done in Toronto and would not be surprised to see them rescind his QO within the next few days.

With the Lowry trade and a Calderon trade/amnesty looking unlikely, don't be surprised if Bayless' QO is rescinded since his cap hold is $7.6M and if Toronto wants to do anything else that doesn't involve a Calderon trade or amnesty, they will need that cap space.

Besides, assuming Calderon sticks around for the final year of his contract, where is Bayless going to play?

Lowry and Calderon will split the 48 minutes at point guard between them (maybe even play together a bit)

DeRozan, Ross and Fields will work out the 48 minutes at the 2 (with DeRozan and Fields playing some 3).

That leaves basically no room on the roster for Bayless.

I think he is done in Toronto and would not be surprised to see them rescind his QO within the next few days.

I hope not. I'd prefer us move Jose and keep Bayless.