Toronto Agrees to 3 year, $20M Offer Sheet With Landry Fields

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Raptors have agreed to a three-year offer sheet with Knicks restricted free agent Landry Fields, said his agent, Chris Emens of Octagon.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Sources say that the three-year deal offer sheet to Fields, with the Year 3 jump a la Omer Asik, approaches $20 million

Oh Colangelo, you moron.

I know this move is designed to sign Nash by taking away the option of a sign and trade involving Fields. However, you better hope you actually sign Nash because, remember, you actually have to pay this scrub money.

I'm all for signing Nash, but not if it costs $20M to sign Landry [expletive]ing Fields. Just up your offer to Nash for crying out loud. Don't sign Fields, lol.

What an awful offseason so far. :lol:

• Owner

Painful. Toronto just gave an offer sheet to the guy the Suns were interested in for Steve Nash. If the Knicks match, they can't trade Fields...and if they don't match, they lose Fields and possibly any chance they have at Nash as well.

Well played, Raptors. Well played.

EDIT: Beat me to it, BFT.

And I had no idea they were giving him that much money. Nevermind. Yikes.

The thing that makes no sense to me is if Nash was actually set on signing with the Knicks (I don't think he has made up his mind at all, but lets just pretend he wanted to go to NY) does throwing this offer sheet at Fields actually do him any good? Wouldn't that piss Nash off by taking away his number one choice, or at least forcing him to accept $3M to go to New York?

Lets say the Knicks match (lol, I know) and they are out of the Nash sweepstakes, wouldn't he turn to Dallas instead of Toronto?

I just don't see how this move helps the Raptors sign Nash. If anything, I think it hurts the chances of him coming to Toronto. Just an awful move from Colangelo.

I have been a huge Colangelo advocate through all these bad years, but its time. This move has pushed me over the edge. I am ready to fire this guy. Horrible, just horrible. Hopefully Knicks somehow match, but even they aren't that stupid.

Edited by Check my Stats

Every time I think BC couldn't get any dumber, some bullshit liek this happens. LANDRY SUCKS. Nash is not going to want to sign here if we're going to pull bullshit moves like this. Now theres a possibility we're going to be stuck with Landry Fields for 3years, $20 million AND not get Nash out of it if he goes to Dallas. I REALLY hope BC knows something we don't know, like that hopefully Nash has already said he doesn't hjave interest in signing in Dallas and it was only between TO and NY.

I have been a huge Colangelo advocate through all these bad years, but its time. This move has pushed me over the edge.

I definitely haven't been a fan of Colangelo for a long time now, but that is the one silver lining to this deal.

Assuming he doesn't sign Nash (and I don't think he will anymore despite what I posted after the draft) this has to spell the end of his time in Toronto, right..... right?

Problem is if he does sign Nash the suits will look the other way as they are rolling around in Nash revenue and Colangelo probably gets another 6 years. :lol:

The Toronto Raptors have reached a verbal agreement with New York Knicks restricted free agent Landry Fields on an offer sheet, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources say that Fields will sign a three-year offer approaching $20 million. He cannot sign until July 11, the first day NBA players can sign new contracts.

The deal is expected to include a spike in Year 3 similar to the deal the Houston Rockets verbally agreed to this week with Chicago Bulls restricted free agent Omer Asik.

The Knicks would have three days to decide whether to match the offer once Fields signed.

Thoughts?

I didn't even see this before I posted my own topic about it, my apologies. I don't feel Landry as a Raptor, it's as simple as that. His play seems rigid to me at times and he doesn't seem to excel at any one part of the game. It might be the fact that he's being overshadowed in NY but I doubt it. Not the right asset to acquire in my opinion.

The thing that makes no sense to me is if Nash was actually set on signing with the Knicks (I don't think he has made up his mind at all, but lets just pretend he wanted to go to NY) does throwing this offer sheet at Fields actually do him any good? Wouldn't that piss Nash off by taking away his number one choice, or at least forcing him to accept $3M to go to New York?

Lets say the Knicks match (lol, I know) and they are out of the Nash sweepstakes, wouldn't he turn to Dallas instead of Toronto?

I just don't see how this move helps the Raptors sign Nash. If anything, I think it hurts the chances of him coming to Toronto. Just an awful move from Colangelo.

Not only that, but what does Nash do for Toronto? I know he is a great player, is Candian and people love him there, but he's not going to win you games. That roster is no good. He's not a serious person to build around, he's 38 years old.

I guess it's all about selling seats. -_-

Edited by JYD

Toronto is a playoff team with Steve Nash, or at least close, which is what our ownership wants. That is why they bring him here, and on top of that, the amount in ticket sales, merchandising, etc would be worth it to pay Nash 20 million a year, they will make so much off him it is insane.

If Fields was a 3, I would even be more okay with it, but where the [expletive] are we supposed to put this guy? Colangelo will probably tout Fields' flexibility, "we love that he can play the 2 or the 3, we can play multiple lineups, we love the flexibility this gives us". [expletive] man, I've defended Colangelo all these years, I knew he wasn't great, I knew he [expletive]ed up, but I continued to believe he was better than hiring a rookie GM. Now, I just say [expletive] him, and [expletive] all this lol.

I have this feeling that Demar might be on his way out, with other pieces, for Rudy Gay or Andre Iguodala. It just doesn't make sense for us to have 3 SG's as core pieces.

Edited by Check my Stats

Not only that, but what does Nash do for Toronto? I know he is a great player, is Candian and people love him there, but he's not going to win you games. That roster is no good. He's not a serious person to build around, he's 38 years old.

Nash makes the Raptors a hot draw in Toronto the likes of which they haven't been since Carter was around.

I'm not saying they are a struggling franchise or anything, becuase they certainly aren't, but MLSE knows that if they sign Nash this summer their revenue will increase by an absolutely absurd amount. Every game would be a guarantee sell out, merchandise sales would go through the roof, sponsoship opportunities would dramatically increase, etc... Basically, anything related to due with revenue or making money, you name it, it will go up if Nash signs in Toronto.

From a purely basketball standpoint they could definitely have a chance of making the playoffs as an eigth seed and they get an extra 2 home games, but I honestly don't think they care about the basketball standpoint as much as the business standpoint. That isn't to say Nash wouldn't be able to help some of the Raptors players develop (or in Valanciunas case, make the jump from Europe to the NBA) and it would be helpful in that regard, but the pursuit of Nash is all about how much profit they would be able to make with him on the team with about 25% of it likely being about Toronto making the playoffs.

Also, in Colangelo's case, it probably saves his job. His deal is up at the end of the year and if he doesn't do something to increase the buzz with the Raptors, I doubt he is back given his spotty track record with the team since taking over in 2006.

The Raptor beat writers are such puppets. It is pathetic.

Not one of them has even had the balls to even say a negative thing about this offer sheet.

- Wolstat and Koreen are too busy talking about Fields averagng 10.5 points when Melo was hurt and "finding his shot" late in the season by shooting 33% from 3.

- Grange was saying that he is a starting calibre player on Prime Time Sports.

- I don't even think I've seen Jones, Smith and Smith say anything about this, but considering those 3 are the biggest yes men, you know they'd be gushing how great of a move it is.

The only one who has had the balls to rip into this offer sheet is Bob McCown when him and Grange were talking about it about 10 minutes ago on PTS.

I realize that they can't just rip into the deal given they have to maintain a relationship with the team or else they'd be out of a job, but still, the blatant ass kissing and blind defending of every ridiculous move made is pathetic. I'm not saying to call for Colangelo's head, but at least point out the obvious negatives in this offer sheet or something.

This is the worst contract handed out thus far imo. What exactly does Landry Fields bring to the team, the way I see he's like a Thabo minus the defensive prowess. Didn't he become a bench warmer for the Knicks near the end of the season?

Edited by Simba

Lots of people said that about Phoenix...but Toronto also has nowhere near the potential of players and Nash is also what, five years older? Never understood why they let Colo be in charge of the rebuild.

This is the worst contract handed out thus far imo. What exactly does Landry Fields bring to the team, the way I see he's like a Thabo minus the defensive prowess. Didn't he become a bench warmer for the Knicks near the end of the season?

I think the thought process is that with Nash on the team Fields' cutting and off the ball movement would really shine, especially since the floor is going to be spaced with Bargnani as a stretch 4, Valanciunas being able to hit corner and elbow jumpers and Ross being a deep threat. When DeRozan is playing the floor would more congested, but Nash's passing ability should help compensate for that.

His rebounding would cover for Bargnani, since, like CmS said, covering for Bargnani's weaknesses is a must for any player that the Raptors sign.

Problem is you can get a guy to do those things for a lot less than what the Raptors are going to be paying Fields. No matter how you try to spin this contract, it is bad and a significant overpayment.

Yeah, I know he was a bench warmer for the Knicks a lot this season. What a [expletive]ing bone-head move. I'm still pissed off about this. This better not cut into Derozan and Rosses minutes either. I'm already worried about Derozan planning on demanding a trade or refusing to re-sign after this upcoming season, and if this causes him to want to leave town, I will absolutely lose it.