So... what was the lockout for again?

kingfish

1. So that teams can't just continue to add talent even when at the luxury tax. It has already worked on Dallas, and is working on LA too (incredibly reluctant to add salary). If you are going to commit 50M to 3-4 players, your depth is probably going to be pretty bad. Obviously it isn't as effective as a hard cap in causing teams to work on restructuring, but it at least creates SOME parity since no more than a few teams will be luxury tax teams.

2. Hard cap, soft cap, luxury tax, it doesn't matter. FA's will always be overpaid. The chance to add a player, without giving up anything, will always cause GM's to hand out massive contracts, especially a sport like basketball where one player can make more difference than any other sport.

3. Teams at the lux tax can't offer the full MLE, which is kind of a weak change, but still a change none the less. If you are a 6th man type and aren't at a ring chasing point in your career, and can get 3M from the Lakers/Heat, etc, or 5+M from another team, also offering more playing time, which do you take? Probably that 5M.

I would like to see some sort of an RFA compensation system similar to the NHL. For example, if you sign an RFA to a max deal, the team losing that RFA should get a first in return (for example, Phoenix gives NOH their first by signing Gordon to a gigantic contract he obviously shouldn't get).

Obviously the CBA isn't perfect, but it is still an improvement over the previous one. I think it will take a while but eventually these huge contracts will kick teams in the ass when it cripples their flexibility. I think the effect of the new CBA will be seen when teams are near the luxury tax. Teams are not going to want to go more than 5M or something like that over it.

Edited by Check my Stats

Lulz its basically done its best to assure a Miami/OKC finals for the next 4 seasons. Small market owners/front offices are showing now more than ever just how incompetent they are.

Hilarious. So is New Jersey incredibly well managed because Dwight wants to play there? Or Deron knows he is coming? Miami is incredibly well managed because they cleared the books, and live in a hot climate? Don't fool yourself, Miami did nothing extraordinary to acquire their 'big 3', it just happened to be the most convenient landing spot. They did a shit job surrounding Wade with talented players since 07, but you're right, it takes terrific management to clear your cap and sign 3 players who are friends. A small market team could have also cleared their cap, but would it have worked? Yeah, okay...

Its hilarious when people act like LA, Miami, etc are so well managed. Guess what, the reason they get all these star players, is because they WANT to go there. They literally force their way there. Players under contract can't even get traded just anywhere, somehow players under contract like Dwight still dictate where they go. Guess what, a team like Toronto can do everything wrong, but they don't get bailed out, whereas Miami/New Jersey can surround their superstars with shit for 3 years, but players WANT to go there, because of the market. So even though they do everything wrong, they get bailed out.

I am not trying to sit here and make excuses for shit signings such as my favourite team's GM has made a habit of doing, but at the same time, don't sit here and ignorantly act like small market teams are more poorly managed than large markets. The big market teams have fallbacks, superstars want to be there. Teams like Miami, New York, New Jersey, etc can do everything wrong for 3, 4 years, but players still want to go there for whatever the reason may be, and that is why they are relevant. Not because their GM is some genius. Its [expletive]ing retarded..

And for the record, if Miami was so well managed, their 4th best player wouldn't be Mario Chalmers.

Its just frustrating sitting here, and fans like you sit there and act like your team is so incredibly well managed. Guess what, you got what you have right now because of LeBron, Wade and Bosh, not because your team is so well managed.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 2

Lulz, I guess you missed in 05 when Riley traded for Shaq and the other pieces that contributed to us winning it all. And how can you sit there and say Miami isn't well managed? Riley made a shit ton of moves to get us the big 3. Dude has been money since he's been in Miami. That's good management. Giving the Gerald Wallace's of the world 10 million a year in guaranteed money or giving Eric [expletive]ing Gordon a max contract = awful management.

Its not surprise that the top teams in the league are the ones with the best front offices. The Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Bulls, Celtics and Lakers (I'm sure I'm missing a couple teams) all have great GM's who know what they're doing.

Edited by Flash

Look at the contracts these horrible GM's are giving out.

Exactly, and they're all coming from mid level or small market teams. Danny Ferry is already looking like a genius. Yeah the Hawks may not be great this year but they were already at their ceiling so he unloaded the worst contact in the league. They'll get a good draft pick or 2 this year and re-build or make an effort next year in free agency with all the money they just cleared.

The Jazz and Nuggets are both teams I should've mentioned as well. They saw that their stars wanted out and ended up getting great value for them, someone Orlando should've done last season when Brooklyn offered half their team and picks for the next half decade.