Raptors trying to trade for Kyle Lowry

Dash

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way

Have to wonder whether Morey will actually move Lowry with Dragic now appearing to be unlikely, but could potentially knock out one of their competitors for Goran assuming Nash is going to New York. I have no idea what we would want from Toronto though, it seemed like a deal between them was hinging on the 8th pick and we all know how that turned out.

Horrible, just horrible. If we wanted Lowry, why didn't we deal the 8th pick for him? This is so gay, this whole situation continues to get more and more frustrating each day.

At the time BC probably thought he was getting Nash. I know its stupid that he wouldn't just do it, but I mean thats probably why he didn't do it.

No thanks.

Besides, what exactly does Toronto plan to offer?

Ed Davis? Yeah, the Rockets would love him considering they already have 10,000 power forwards.

Terrence Ross? They drafted a better shooting guard prospect 4 picks later in Lamb.

DeMar DeRozan? Lamb on a rookie deal for 4 years > DeRozan up for an extension after this year.

Jonas Valanciunas? Possibly, but they clearly are very high on Asik and even then, Toronto would be crazy to do it.

So yeah, fat chance of any Lowry to Toronto deal after the Raptors botched the draft pick and didn't take Drummond.

• Owner

No thanks.

Besides, what exactly does Toronto plan to offer?

Ed Davis? Yeah, the Rockets would love him considering they already have 10,000 power forwards.

Terrence Ross? They drafted a better shooting guard prospect 4 picks later in Lamb.

DeMar DeRozan? Lamb on a rookie deal for 4 years > DeRozan up for an extension after this year.

Jonas Valanciunas? Possibly, but they clearly are very high on Asik and even then, Toronto would be crazy to do it.

So yeah, fat chance of any Lowry to Toronto deal after the Raptors botched the draft pick and didn't take Drummond.

If Lowry wants out bad enough, and Houston doesn't snag Jeremy Lin, you could just offer that 2013 1st, top 3-5 protected, and I'm sure Houston will bite.

• Owner

Well, yeah.

But that would be absolutely retarded. So it has Colnagelo written all over it.

Yeah, but you guys were willing to deal #8 for Lowry (considered it), so I wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets caved in and took the future first for next season, and Toronto gladly accepted the deal.

Looks like Jeremy Lin will still be a Knick, though, so who knows.

Yeah, but you guys were willing to deal #8 for Lowry (considered it), so I wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets caved in and took the future first for next season, and Toronto gladly accepted the deal.

Looks like Jeremy Lin will still be a Knick, though, so who knows.

Actually, they were willing to do the 8th for Lowry and the 12th so that they could still draft Ross. Houston was either not offering a pick or were offering the 18th and that didn't interest Toronto because they wouldn't be able to draft Ross.

I know the talk was Toronto didn't trade for Lowry because they were set on Nash, and I have no doubt that was a big part of it, but I still think they make the trade if the Rockets were offering the 12th pick as well.

• Owner

Actually, they were willing to do the 8th for Lowry and the 12th so that they could still draft Ross. Houston was either not offering a pick or were offering the 18th and that didn't interest Toronto because they wouldn't be able to draft Ross.

I know the talk was Toronto didn't trade for Lowry because they were set on Nash, and I have no doubt that was a big part of it, but I still think they make the trade if the Rockets were offering the 12th pick as well.

Ah. I read from someone on Twitter (retweeted by one of the ESPN guys) that Houston didn't want to make the trade because they were trying to deal Lowry to the Kings for that 5th, and since Robinson fell and ruined it, Houston had already made the decision to use up their picks to draft young talent.

Either way, Ross was obviously the bigger picture at that point, and I can see why they didn't trade that 8th (not saying I think they should have drafted Ross, but I won't get into that).

Ah. I read from someone on Twitter (retweeted by one of the ESPN guys) that Houston didn't want to make the trade because they were trying to deal Lowry to the Kings for that 5th, and since Robinson fell and ruined it, Houston had already made the decision to use up their picks to draft young talent.

Either way, Ross was obviously the bigger picture at that point, and I can see why they didn't trade that 8th (not saying I think they should have drafted Ross, but I won't get into that).

I read that as well, but I don't buy it. I think they offered Lowry for the Raptors 8th, Toronto countered with Lowry and the 12th, Houston countered with Lowry and the 18th and Toronto turned it down.

All the speculation was that Houston wanted Drummond and I don't see who else they would've been targeting. Everybody knew Beal was going to Washington and everybody also knew that if MKG or Robinson fell to 5 that Sacramento would pick whoever fell without hesitation. That leaves Drummond as the only guy I can think of.

After Toronto turned the offer down, that is when I think Houston finally decided to just use all of those picks since they knew Drummond was no longer possible.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part and maybe Toronto was all ready to do the trade but Houston backed out. I highly doubt it, but it is possible.

I don't think the Rockets liked Drummond enough to cough up Kyle Lowry just to move up 4 spots especially knowing that there was a good chance Jeremy Lamb was going to fall to them at that point. Daryl heavily hinted that Lamb was 7th on their draft board so in their mind it could have essentially been 2 spots and not maximizing isn't how Houston works. They were reluctant to move their only point guard as is, and in hindsight for good reason.

Morey sounded like he loved this draft and given Toronto's high asking price, I think he just thought screw it and picked 3 prospects he really liked (well 4, Tyler Zeller was meant to be taken with 18th) like BFT said. Houston was still in play for Dwight back then too and plan B must've been to get Drummond + Lamb (Lowry + +16 + 18 for 8th would have made sense,IMO).

Houston wanted a deal for #5 done before the draft. MKG was #2 on the Rockets' draft board and had they moved up on draft night, I had little doubt Thomas Robinson would have been the pick.

Anyways it sucks we couldn't work a trade on draft night looking back but I can see why the Raptors didn't bite. Can't think of a trade post-draft for Lowry that would make sense for either side but who knows? Both front offices appear to be in panic mode.