Nash to Lakeshow?

I remember people retracting similar statements when a 38-year old Jason Kidd was the PG of the 2011 champion Dallas Mavericks.

I'm not sure why your opinion on Nash is suddenly changing, or seems to be changing?

Has something changed since 2009 when you said he wasn't even a HOF player? I'm not saying you're saying he's amazing right now, but some comments you have made about him in the past have me scratching my head.

dunno how small market teams like Toronto or Milwaulkee even have fans still . I'm all for loyalty to your team as Ive been a fan of the Celts since the Ricky Davis days , but it seems like the smaller teams just have no shot at ever being good in today's nba.

dunno how small market teams like Toronto or Milwaulkee even have fans still . I'm all for loyalty to your team as Ive been a fan of the Celts since the Ricky Davis days , but it seems like the smaller teams just have no shot at ever being good in today's nba.

who can blame him

he put in so much he deserves to be with a contender. no self respecting veteran should waste their career in a small team that doesnt have a serious shot at the title

It's funny how ECN now believes everyone's opinion on Nash is changing now since he's in LA. Everyone knew he was a top 7 pg in the game and everyone still knows that. There is a reason why so many teams were after him. Stop trying to make it look like peoples views on him are changing.

• Owner

I'm not sure why your opinion on Nash is suddenly changing, or seems to be changing?

Has something changed since 2009 when you said he wasn't even a HOF player? I'm not saying you're saying he's amazing right now, but some comments you have made about him in the past have me scratching my head.

Well, in March of 2010, I said he was the third best PG in the NBA (over Rondo and Rose):

3. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns (17.0 PPG on .506 FG, 3.3 RPG, 11.2 APG)

During the first month of the season, many believed that Nash would be a top candidate for the MVP award, and rightfully so.

The Suns tore through the league, playing 11 of their first 17 on the road and going 14-3 in the process. Phoenix then took a spill, dropping out of the playoffs after losing 18 of the following 30 games.

Playing through his ongoing back problems, Nash and a rejuvenated Amare Stoudemire, put together two win streaks of five games a piece, and the Suns are now holding onto a comfortable fifth seed in the playoffs.

If Nash wasn’t such a bad defensive player, he would easily top the point guard ranks every season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359606-nbas-fab-five-point-guards

I've said numerous times that he is an offensive genius.

None of that, or what has happened over the last 2-3 days, means I'm changing my stance on him robbing Kobe of his MVP awards (at least one), because Nash has never, ever been a better player than Bryant...at any point of his career. It's going to be based on how I think the MVP award should be handed out differently, but that's a different discussion altogether.

Is Nash a HOF'er? Well, I don't believe he deserved at least one of those MVP awards, and he doesn't have a championship, so based on that, I don't think he should be...but he still won two MVP's, and if he ends up with a ring in LA, it's hard for me to ignore that. The guy is the best shooting PG I've ever seen in all of my years watching the NBA.

This is why the NBA is such an inferior league.

Big pickup for the Lakers. He is going to really solidify this team. They have been missing a point guard for years now. I really HATE the Lakers, and this makes me want the Thunder to win even more, but good pickup nonetheless. Trading Bynum for Howard right now would put this team over the top. Talk around town is that Grant Hill is going to sign for MLE or LLE. Got a lot of offseason to go.

What if the Hawks traded JSmoove for Gasol now?

Nash

Kobe

Hedo or JRich

Josh Smith

Dwight

Might be game over.

Realistically the Hawks are trying to clear up cap space and rebuild, trading for Pau doesn't accomplish anything.

I would much rather keep Pau. He would be much more effective in p&r/p&p situations. Granted that Josh Smith is alot more athletic and a far superior defender, his offense is really suspect. Imagine having him and Ron on the floor at the same time. Plus this unit already has chemistry, and with their window closing I wouldn't take a chance. Prior to the Nash signing I was all for Pau getting traded.

Well, in March of 2010, I said he was the third best PG in the NBA (over Rondo and Rose):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359606-nbas-fab-five-point-guards

I've said numerous times that he is an offensive genius.

None of that, or what has happened over the last 2-3 days, means I'm changing my stance on him robbing Kobe of his MVP awards (at least one), because Nash has never, ever been a better player than Bryant...at any point of his career. It's going to be based on how I think the MVP award should be handed out differently, but that's a different discussion altogether.

Is Nash a HOF'er? Well, I don't believe he deserved at least one of those MVP awards, and he doesn't have a championship, so based on that, I don't think he should be...but he still won two MVP's, and if he ends up with a ring in LA, it's hard for me to ignore that. The guy is the best shooting PG I've ever seen in all of my years watching the NBA.

So, the best shooting PG you've ever seen isn't worthy of the HOF because he has at least one "undeserved" MVP? He's below average on one end of the floor, yet excellent on the other end of the floor. You don't have to be great on both ends to be a HOF player.

It's funny because I'll guess you think Jason Kidd is a surefire HOF player, right? I'm just not sure how you don't see Nash as a HOF player.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

I would much rather just shop Bynum for Dwight. But for the most part I'm satisfied with the starting five. We need to sure up our bench and add a couple knock down shooters.

This is the same type of crap most people and Lakers fans in particular criticized LeBron for. Kobe always having to have elite players come to him, or have elite players on his team already.

Let me hear you criticize Kobe for "chasing" a championship.

This is the same type of crap most people and Lakers fans in particular criticized LeBron for. Kobe always having to have elite players come to him, or have elite players on his team already.

Let me hear you criticize Kobe for "chasing" a championship.

At the end of the day he didn't jump ship, Lebron did.

• Owner

It's funny because I'll guess you think Jason Kidd is a surefire HOF player, right? I'm just not sure how you don't see Nash as a HOF player.

Other than scoring 30 a night, what doesn't Jason Kidd do? He's not a bad offensive player at all. He shoots the three pretty well, hitting 40% a few seasons and, on average, 4-5 of them a night. He's also a stellar passer, which is also offense. Won't have to mention just how good of a defender he is.

Like I said, it's up in the air for me when it comes to Nash. I just hate that he is so bad on the defensive end of the floor, and that he doesn't take more shots and is more aggressive. There are plenty of times Nash should have taken over games, because he has that ability to (he has against the Lakers), but he declined, and it has cost him a few big games.

Nope, but I already explained why LeBron was criticized so much, and you completely ignored it, I see.

Other than scoring 30 a night, what doesn't Jason Kidd do? He's not a bad offensive player at all. He shoots the three pretty well, hitting 40% a few seasons and, on average, 4-5 of them a night. He's also a stellar passer, which is also offense. Won't have to mention just how good of a defender he is.

Like I said, it's up in the air for me when it comes to Nash. I just hate that he is so bad on the defensive end of the floor, and that he doesn't take more shots and is more aggressive. There are plenty of times Nash should have taken over games, because he has that ability to (he has against the Lakers), but he declined, and it has cost him a few big games.

Nope, but I already explained why LeBron was criticized so much, and you completely ignored it, I see.

There's a big discrepancy between both players defensive play, but I also think there is a big one offensively as well, career averages aside. I'm a believer that a PG's offense far outweighs the defensive aspect of a PG's game, and I think Nash is certainly superior offensively, even though Kidd is superior defensively.

Are you really taking a prime Kidd over a prime Nash if you need one game to win? Would you take Kidd?

• Owner

There's a big discrepancy between both players defensive play, but I also think there is a big one offensively as well, career averages aside. I'm a believer that a PG's offense far outweighs the defensive aspect of a PG's game, and I think Nash is certainly superior offensively, even though Kidd is superior defensively.

Are you really taking a prime Kidd over a prime Nash if you need one game to win? Would you take Kidd?

Yes, prime Kidd over prime Nash. Kidd does more for you, overall.

There is a reason why I valued Kobe so much when he was in his prime. Kidd wasn't the ultimate player, and he had holes when he was at his best, but while Nash worked wonders with an Amare-less Suns squad (which you bashed him for once, because you used to support Amare quite a bit, and I distinctly remember you trying to discredit Nash for a few things back on the old OTR)...J-Kidd took his Nets team to back-to-back NBA Finals with Kenyon Martin as his scoring "force" (if you want to call him that).

A PG's offense is very significant, but as a Boston fan, you see first hand just how important a PG's defense is, also..and Rondo is very similar to a guy we're talking about right now. I won't need to explain any further.

Not to discredit anything you've said about Nash, but take a look at the hundreds of names in the Hall right now. I know you can find dozens of players less deserving. When I say Nash belongs in the Hall, I'm saying that he's one of the top, maybe, 400 basketball people of all time.

You can make an excellent argument that the Hall isn't nearly exclusive enough, but that's neither here nor there.

• Owner

Not to discredit anything you've said about Nash, but take a look at the hundreds of names in the Hall right now. I know you can find dozens of players less deserving. When I say Nash belongs in the Hall, I'm saying that he's one of the top, maybe, 400 basketball people of all time.

You can make an excellent argument that the Hall isn't nearly exclusive enough, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, all of the argument (for my side) was based on me ignoring who was in the Hall right now.

When you consider everyone in it, there's no question Nash belongs. But again, it also goes back to what I said about the MVP awards, too.

Kevin Johnson put up better numbers (in my opinion) than Steve Nash...yet, he didn't get into the Hall. KJ had four consecutive seasons of 20/10 (or better), shooting around 50% most of his career...and when he did that (and he was in his ultimate prime), he didn't have Charles Barkley as a teammate (he did have guys like Tom Chambers, but he's no Barkley)...and yet, I don't think people even give a damn about him, or are even aware of what he did.

That's just one example, really. It's stuff like that, honestly, that makes me debate all of this.

-------------

With all of that said, though...back to the point: Nash, in a Suns jersey, is an enemy. Of course I don't like him when he's in Phoenix. However, in LA...I'm going to like the guy, unless he walks in with a shitty attitude (like Bynum has). With that said, though...that doesn't mean I'll change my opinion about him. He's still an awful defensive player, and he has yet to be successful in an offense that he doesn't necessarily dominate the ball in.

Now, how will this all work out with Kobe, Drew and Gasol (or Howard, if he's here)? I have little doubt we'll struggle, but I rarely overrate players just because they are on my favorite team.

Nash can most certainly put us over the top, though...not because he's a former MVP, but because he actually takes a massive load off of Kobe's shoulders when it comes to facilitating, and he's going to get our big men easy buckets. With each contributing player we rake in, teams apply less defensive pressure on Kobe...which means he lasts longer during games, during seasons, and during the rest of his career.

Great pickup. Still an absolutely brilliant player offensively, and with two seven footers (or Dwight alone) and a strong Mike Brown-coached team defense, the Lakers should once again be in the thick of the championship hunt. Nash will make this stagnant, predictable offense so much more dangerous and versatile.

• Owner

signing players past their prime at 38 is not the answer

remember how GP and Malone turned out........................................

The team was injured most of the year, including Kobe and Shaq. There was a point where Gary Payton was the only one available during games (out of the four).

And, yet, that team still got into the NBA Finals.