Rockets trade Lowry for a 1st round pick

Can somebody please fire Colangelo before he completely [expletive]s this team up?

By the sounds of it, this pick has little to no protection on it since Woj and others are saying it is a "guaranteed lottery pick". The moron probably sent an unprotected 1st to Houston.

The only thing that makes me not absolutely loathe this trade is that the 2013 draft is supposed to be really shitty after the top 5 and Toronto sucks, but they aren't bad enough to get a top 5 pick assuming they don't get lottery luck.

On the other hand, from a basketball standpoint I'd rather have a 26 year old Lowry than a 38 year old Nash.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, I actually don't mind this move all tha tmuch, haha. I forgot just how bad the draft is supposed to be next year.

Lol BFT I was in the process of posting how surprised I was that you didn't like this deal. Lowry is likely to be better than anyone you draft next year. Just gotta pay the man.

Yeah, I overreacted at first just because Colangelo making a move usually equals disaster, lol.

Gary Forbes is also going to Houston.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Rockets and Raptors are working on something "innovative," source says, with lottery protection on 1st round pick returning to Houston.

Have no idea what he means by innovative, but if the pick is lottery protected I have no idea why Houston settled so much, unless they are hoping Toronto doesn't make the playoffs and instead they get a 2014 pick, which is supposed to be a stronger draft.

Ok, so I guess Houston is guaranteed a lottery pick out of this?

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Rockets are telling people theyre guaranteed future Lottery pick from Toronto in Lowry deal (ESPN first), tho it's unclear how that happens.

What the hell? Knowing Toronto's luck (and Colnagelo's complete failure to build a team) they'll end up handing over Andrew Wiggins or something, lol.

Ok so it sounds like it is protected for both teams.

Houston won't get the pick if it is too low, but Toronto won't have to surrender it if it is too high either.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

Rockets-Raptors pick will be protected both ways. Rockets won't get it if too high, but also will wait if Raptors season makes it too late.

So I'm thinking Toronto keeps anything in the top 5 and gives up anything from 6-14?

Ok so it sounds like it is protected for both teams.

Houston won't get the pick if it is too low, but Toronto won't have to surrender it if it is too high either.

So I'm thinking Toronto keeps anything in the top 5 and gives up anything from 6-14?

I'm alright with that. Personally I'd rather have Terrence Ross this year and lose next years pick. Although if we make the playoffs like I'm hoping, then I guess we still keep the pick.

One thing I'm wondering about, is what if we make the playoffs for the next 5 years or something so we have no lottery picks? Would Houston just have to wait until we have a lottery pick that isn't top 5 before they get it?

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

To explain pick protection, Rockets get pick next yr if between 4 and 14. If not, then if 3 to 14 next two yrs; 2 to 14 two yrs after that.

Jerome Solomon ‏@JeromeSolomon

The deal is a five-year rollover, so basically the only way Rockets get nothing is Toronto makes playoffs or gets No. 1 pick every yr.

Wow that is some light protection. Love this for the Rockets, pretty sure that pick will be around 10th-12th (Toronto should be fighting for an 8th playoff seed with the addition of Lowry) but we need lottery picks to rebuild.

Edited by Dash

I am excited to bring in a nice point guard like Lowry who is a hound on defense, which Toronto fans are unfamiliar to at the point guard spot. However, this is a really risky deal. I hope Toronto makes the playoffs next year, but it is probably for the best we don't.

This is a really interesting deal. If that pick winds up being in the 3-7 range, Houston wins, but anything in the late lottery, you have to feel like Toronto got a nice deal. I would have liked to have seen heavier protection though, like top 3 protected for all 5 years, or maybe go 5 first year, then 4, then 3, etc. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. After picking in the late lottery the past 3 years, who bets when Houston gets this pick, it's top 5? :lol:

It just sucks BC didn't make this deal when he could have, 2 weeks ago, at a much less riskier cost. Toronto wins this deal today, but when Houston gets that pick, well, shit could be really ugly... like Toronto Maple Leafs ugly.

Colangelo is like that sim league GM who trades off all his future assets to try and be okay for that one year. He's such a jack ass lol.

Edited by Check my Stats

I am excited to bring in a nice point guard like Lowry who is a hound on defense, which Toronto fans are unfamiliar to at the point guard spot. However, this is a really risky deal. I hope Toronto makes the playoffs next year, but it is probably for the best we don't.

This is a really interesting deal. If that pick winds up being in the 3-7 range, Houston wins, but anything in the late lottery, you have to feel like Toronto got a nice deal. I would have liked to have seen heavier protection though, like top 3 protected for all 5 years, or maybe go 5 first year, then 4, then 3, etc. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. After picking in the late lottery the past 3 years, who bets when Houston gets this pick, it's top 5? :lol:

It just sucks BC didn't make this deal when he could have, 2 weeks ago, at a much less riskier cost. Toronto wins this deal today, but when Houston gets that pick, well, shit could be really ugly... like Toronto Maple Leafs ugly.

Colangelo is like that sim league GM who trades off all his future assets to try and be okay for that one year. He's such a jack ass lol.

ECN