What Happens With Calderon Now?

With the Raptors picking up Lowry, what happens with Calderon?

Does he stay as the backup point guard for the final year of his deal?

Does Toronto trade him?

Do they amnesty him to make room to either sign or trade for a legitimate starting calibre small forward?

I'm hpoing we could trade him for an asset of some kind, but if that doesn't happen, then I'm fine with an amnesty. Bayless atleast deserves the backup PG role and if we can get something for Calderon or use the money on something of need (SF) than thats the better option.

• Owner

He's a $10.6 million expiring contract. See what you can get for him, and when the February trade deadline rolls in, his value could be a bit higher because:

1) teams may desperately need a PG by then

2) tax-paying teams may see that they aren't much of a contender and would rather shed some salary for the summer

3) he may prove to be a decent sixth man, which will entice a few contenders who feel they can't win it all without more bench production

I only think we amnesty him if we somehow offer an FA a huge contract that they agree to, and even then it'd be A) overpaying for someone like Batum (who wouldn't come here, but just an example), and B) most likely an RFA who could just easily get matched.

I figure we ride out the year, use him for a filler in a deal if needed (that rumoured Iggy deal), and just let him expire at season's end, and probably bring him back at a much lower (who am I kidding, probably 6M a year) cost next year. Jose is one of the best backup points in the league, if not the best, I have, and will always give him that much.

My money is on him being used in a trade or kept all year. He is a really useful player on the bench, and a really good insurance policy if Lowry gets hurt. Clearly we are hell bent on winning 42 games this year, so I really doubt we amnesty anyone this year, and just amnesty Kleiza next summer to beef up our cap space we're set to have.

Yeah, I don't see them amnestying him either, nor do I think they should.

I think everybody knows my opinion of Calderon as a starter, but as much as I dislike him, I fully admit that he was absolutely fantastic as a backup point guard to TJ Ford for that 1.5 years. If he can give that kind of production again I could easily see some team come knocking looking to acquire his services around the deadline when most of his deal has already been paid.

With the deal, the Raptors have no plans to use the amnesty clause on Jose Calderon or Linas Kleiza. That means the Raptors could theoretically package Calderon and another salary to make a run at a swingman via trade, should one come available.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/07/05/toronto-raptors-acquire-point-guard-kyle-lowry-from-rockets/

Well word on the street is its gonna be Calderon + demar for Iggy.

Well, the trade rumour is Jose/Demar/Davis for Iggy/Vucevic

I'd rather keep Demar and allow the lineup of Lowry/Demar/Fields/Bargnani/JV to work at this point. Plus, we can make attempts to throw out Jose for a trade alone for a decent SF. Or Amnesty him and free up room for another signing.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Calderon? Growing sense w/rival teams is Raps either use Spaniard's expiring deal in trade or just keep him. Scratch him from amnesty lists

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger

Follow-up to Stein's Tweet: With Bayless QO off books, no strong need to amnesty Calderon unless blockbuster deal materializes.

It's funny, if you asked me if I wanted Jose Calderon gone, any way necessary, at the beginning of last season I would've said yes in a heartbeat.

Now? I'm glad to hear that the chances of them using their amnesty on Calderon seems very slim. I think it would be a huge waste of the clause to use it on Calderon.

That isn't to say I would be upset if he was traded. Far from it. I just don't want to see them waste their amnesty clause cutting a guy on an expiring contract unless it was necessary to sign a high impact player, which there aren't any available.

Sources: Jose Calderon wants trade

Well aware the Toronto Raptors have no plans to release him via the amnesty clause, representatives for veteran guard Jose Calderon have informed the Raptors that Calderon welcomes their attempts to trade him, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Calderon, while undeniably attached to the city of Toronto after spending his entire six-year NBA there, is hoping the Raptors can find a trade home for him now that newly acquired Kyle Lowry is already penciled in as coach Dwane Casey's new starting point guard.

The Raptors, sources say, are open to a trade but want to send Calderon to a team with salary-cap space that can absorb the Spaniard's $10.6 million salary, thereby creating a trade exception for Toronto and giving them added financial flexibility for further moves.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8162133/sources-toronto-raptors-jose-calderon-welcome-trade

I just don't see which teams would be willing to pay 10 million for him, I get that he's expiring, but to me, he is not a starter on a playoff team, or at least a playoff team with a chance to win a series. I guess he could fit on a team like Indiana right now since they stupidly traded away a decent point guard, and they owe us one for the Roy Hibbert-Jermaine O'Neal fleecing.

If I had to guess, it would be that he opens training camp with the Toronto Raptors. I'd rather us just buy him out or cut him outright instead of amnestying him, it would be a waste to amnesty an expiring contract if there are no free agents to pursue. The reason he would want out would presumably be to start somewhere else, but I just don't see any possible fits. The only way I see him getting dealt is if he is a piece to a bigger deal (ie. him and Derozan for Iggy rumoured deal, etc).

Prior to yesterday I wouldn't have been surprised to see something along the lines of Marion for Calderon. Mavs dump Marion's salary which should give them enough cap space to offer two max deals next summer in hopes of getting Paul and Howard. Calderon would be competent enough as a starter for a year.

However, now that they traded for Collison I don't see that happening unless they really think that they have a chance of landing both Howard and Paul. Otherwise, I don't see why they downgrade.

In addition to that, Marion didn't exactly enjoy his time in Toronto the first time around and I can't see him being too pleased to come back. I got the impression he just did not enjoy the half year he was with the Raptors at all.

Outside of that, I honestly can't think of any scenario that makes sense.

Philly doesn't because if he wants out because of Lowry and not starting, well, the same thing would happen in Philly with Holiday.

Indiana just signed DJ Augustin and, personally, I think that Augustin is better than Calderon.

Maybe Sacramento? Calderon would be a solid veteran and would theoretically work well with Robinson and possibly Cousins. He would be an awful fit with Evans, though.

I just don't see any team really being that interested in him. Most of his suitors would be contenders looking for a backup point guard (LA and SA come to mind) but they don't have anyway of getting a deal done.

I don't think Calderon is a Raptor come training camp with the way Colangelo was talking yesterday, but I also don't see any real logical landing spot for him either.