Raptors Rescind Qualifying Offer to Bayless, Make Him UFA

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Raps G Jerryd Bayless is now unrestricted free agent, agent Jeff Schwartz tells ESPN. Raps have pulled qualifying offer to make Bayless UFA

Not a surprise at all to me, as I posted in the other thread to expect them to rescind the QO to Bayless today.

Kind of sucks since I like Bayless and thought he was the Raptors best player last season. I understand why the move was made since there simply isn't any room for him on the roster after the Lowry trade, but I still wish they could've found some way to keep him around.

Hopefully he can get a legitimate chance somewhere since I still think he could be a starter in this league. The last two years when he was given a chance and didn't have to constantly look over his shoulder, he was very productive for Toronto.

It is worth noting that the Raptors didn't have to rescind his QO to trade for Lowry or sign Fields. They could've made both of those moves even with having his $7M cap hold on their books.

I'm not saying that another move is on the horizon as this could simply be a case of Colangelo doing Bayless a favour and allowing him to find a better situation than being stuck on the bench in Toronto. However, it is interesting as it does open up some more possibilities for another move.

I can't really think of what they would do next, though. Their roster seems pretty set with:

PG: Lowry/Calderon

SG: DeRozan/Ross

SF: Fields/Johnson/Kleiza

PF: Bargnani/Ed/Acy

C: Amir/Valanciunas

Ideally, I'd like to see them sign a big like Camby or Kaman for 1 year to start at center while Valanciunas develops, but that wouldn't happen, so I'm really not sure what to expect, assuming another move is forthcoming.

Don't like this at all. Its so weird that while so good as a starter, he just could never adapt to a bench role. I understand it is harder to get in a rhythm, especially knowing you could get pulled any minute. Hopefully not many teams are interested, and we can bring him back at a lower rate? Or is that not allowed? I think he can be a piece for a team. Don't be surprised, if he goes to a team where he gets to start, if he doesn't put up really nice numbers. I think he has a chance to be good in this league, just sucks we didn't give him that shot lasts season, and started Jose instead all those games. Stupid really.

Don't like this at all. Its so weird that while so good as a starter, he just could never adapt to a bench role. I understand it is harder to get in a rhythm, especially knowing you could get pulled any minute. Hopefully not many teams are interested, and we can bring him back at a lower rate? Or is that not allowed? I think he can be a piece for a team. Don't be surprised, if he goes to a team where he gets to start, if he doesn't put up really nice numbers. I think he has a chance to be good in this league, just sucks we didn't give him that shot lasts season, and started Jose instead all those games. Stupid really.

Yes, they still can, assuming they have cap space.

Rescinding his QO basically does two things:

1. Makes him a UFA and no longer an RFA so Toronto can't match an offer he receives (I'm sure you knew that already, though)

and

2. Eliminates his cap hold. In Bayless' case, his cap hold is $7.6M so rescinding the QO frees up that $7.6M cap hold. Toronto could use that money for other purposes (trade, free agency).

Toronto can re-sign him still, they just don't own his rights anymore, so they can't exceed the cap to sign him and they also can't use an exception to sign him, either.