Ilyasova, Bucks Agree to 5 Year, $45M Deal

The Milwaukee Bucks didn’t make the playoffs last season, but their offseason has already been a success. Sources confirmed a report on the basketball Web site HoopsHype Sunday afternoon that the club was close to a deal that would keep forward Ersan Ilyasova in Milwaukee on a five-year, $45 million deal.

Ilyasova was one of the top free agents on the market at power forward, a “stretch four” who finished tied for second in the league in three-point percentage last season (.455) with Warriors guard Stephen Curry. But he also averaged 8.8 rebounds to go with his 13 points per game, posting 20 double-doubles for the Bucks and finishing second to Orlando’s Ryan Anderson in voting for Most Improved Player.

The Nets had significant interest in signing Ilyasova, particularly if they were unable to make a trade for Magic center Dwight Howard. But one source said Sunday that Milwaukee had never been very concerned about Brooklyn, surmising that the Nets couldn’t create enough cap room to make an offer that Ilyasova would have to seriously consider. The Raptors also were reportedly interested, and Ilyasova had offers to play in Europe as well.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/08/report-bucks-to-keep-ilyasova/

If Ilyasova can duplicate or build on the season he had last year I don't mind this signing for Milwaukee. It isn't a steal or anything like that, but I wouldn't call it much of an overpayment either, assuming he can build on his very good year last year. I thought he was easily the Most Improved Player last year and was absolutely robbed of the award.

However, the fact that he had his breakout during a contract year would be a bit worrisome to me since I've seen numerous times where players play out of their mind and then come back down to earth after getting the long term deal. Will Ilyasova be another one of those?