Miami Heat lands Rashard Lewis

Real Deal

• Owner
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Lewis spoke with Hawks and Knicks, but felt Miami was the best fit, especially since he already had $13.7M coming from Hornets buyout.

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Source confirms @WindhorstESPN report that Heat close 2 deal w/veteran F Rashard Lewis. Can only offer $1.35M vet minimum next year.

Might as well report it as a done deal...they are just working out the numbers now.

• Owner

It's still not that bad of a pick-up, but I would think the Heat should be digging for a big man before anyone else, especially with the Lakers picking up Steve Nash and, potentially, landing Dwight (who really knows, at this point).

Lakers goggles aside, I really think LA has the best chance of beating Miami next season. I want to say OKC, but they aren't making enough changes, and unless Durant goes ballistic with a very-improved post game and defense, OKC is basically going to bring back the same team with slight improvements.

It's still not that bad of a pick-up, but I would think the Heat should be digging for a big man before anyone else, especially with the Lakers picking up Steve Nash and, potentially, landing Dwight (who really knows, at this point).

Lakers goggles aside, I really think LA has the best chance of beating Miami next season. I want to say OKC, but they aren't making enough changes, and unless Durant goes ballistic with a very-improved post game and defense, OKC is basically going to bring back the same team with slight improvements.

we need to sign 2-4 players to play off the bench for depth we lack it majorly

Don't know why we signed him, but why the hell not. We now have Lebron, Battier, Miller, and Shard at SF. Guess this just allows us to move Lebron to PF and keep Bosh at C. I would be pretty damn happy if Lewis is still good, but I have not heard much from him in years.

At least our bench looks way better.

Edited by SRV

Rashard Lewis was an utter scrub last year (the last couple years actually). That is why you "haven't heard much from him". At least he is a decent rebounder at the 3, that's about all I'd give him at this point. Its almost like Riley is ignoring the actual issue on this team right now, and if Steve Nash really has as much of an impact for LA as he could, then LA is a serious, serious threat to Miami.

Edited by Check my Stats

I don't think we are ignoring the fact we need a center....centers are just too damn greedy for what we can give them. You notice almost every single FA we sign is taking less money because they are reaching the end of their career or they are not good enough to play a significant role. Camby could have come here, but he chose New York because they could give him more money.

For the vet minimum he's a solid pickup. He's been garbage the last year or two, but the talent is there, and he'll have a very easy time offensively playing on this squad. If he fails, then he can easily be cut or demoted to the Juwan Howard role.

And with only the MLE and vet minimum to work with, Miami had little to no chance picking up a quality C who deserves PT over Bosh/Haslem/Anthony at the 5. With how stacked Miami is on the wings, maybe they can make a deal during the season to pickup a solid big man. Until then, it really isn't overly necessary, and it's better to make quality pickups as opposed to garbage signings based on team needs.

We are also going after Grant Hill....safe to say we don't give a shit about the low post, we would rather play small ball.

We could have a team of

PG: Chalmers - Cole

SG: Wade - Allen - Harris

SF: Battier - Miller- Lewis

PF: Lebron - Haslem

C: Bosh - Anthony - Pittman - Hamilton

Then we could have Hill playing SG or SF if we sign him. I am pretty sure James Jones retired, and I don't know if Juwan Howard retired, but he is a FA either way. Turiaf and Curry are FA's and I doubt we bring them back.

We are also going after Grant Hill....safe to say we don't give a shit about the low post, we would rather play small ball.

We could have a team of

PG: Chalmers - Cole

SG: Wade - Allen - Harris

SF: Battier - Miller- Lewis

PF: Lebron - Haslem

C: Bosh - Anthony - Pittman - Hamilton

Then we could have Hill playing SG or SF if we sign him. I am pretty sure James Jones retired, and I don't know if Juwan Howard retired, but he is a FA either way. Turiaf and Curry are FA's and I doubt we bring them back.

I still think we need to add another big in there... Maybe take a chance on oden if he wants to come back? Idk somebody big and at least decent defensively..

I would give Oden a shot in a heartbeat, but I don't run the team..haven't even heard him being considered. I am sure he is just as greedy as the other centers though, someone will give him big money if he was actually healthy, but I think he is still messed up.

I just googled him and apparently he was interested in playing for us, but if we don't give him a shot, something must be wrong with him, or we really don't want a center.

Edited by SRV

We just won a ring with Bosh at C. We have Joel to back him up so I'm glad we didnt overpay or a guy like Camby when we added the best 3 point shooter ever and a 6'11 guy for the minimum which both come out to less than Camby is making.

Yeah but we didn't have to face any kind of post presence on offense.. It may be different if we go up against a Bynum or Dwight or something. (I know we've been able to handle Dwight pretty well in the post for the most part) but still..