Billups' Rehab Going Well

Clippers Re-sign FA Chauncey Billups

599281_10151012227671877_4254713_n.jpg

The L. A. Clippers today re-signed unrestricted free agent and five-time NBA All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced. In 20 games (20 starts) played for the Clippers during the 2011-12 season, Billups averaged 15.0 points, 4.0 assists, 2.5 rebounds and 30.4 minutes per contest. Billups shot 36.4 percent from the field, 38.4 percent from behind the three-point line and 89.5 percent from the free throw line. Billups 2012 season ended prematurely on February 6th in Orlando when he suffered a torn left Achilles tendon after scoring 18 points (10 in the fourth quarter) in what would eventually be a 107-102 overtime road win for Los Angeles.

Billups averaged 16.8 points, 5.4 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 32.1 minutes in 72 games with Denver and New York during the 2010-11 season. He was traded to the Knicks on February 22, 2011 and was later claimed by the Clippers off of waivers on December 12, 2011.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/clippers-re-sign-chauncey-billups.html

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

• 1 month later...

Billups' rehab going well, won't back down from Lakers

The Lakers have garnered headlines with an off-season that has superstars Steve Nash and Dwight Howard headed to the West Coast. But the other team in Los Angeles, the Clippers, has quietly made some solid moves this summer from giving a five-year extension to franchise cornerstone Blake Griffin, trading for forward Lamar Odom and signing former Piston Grant Hill. So Clippers combo guard Chauncey Billups, who is diligently rehabbing his left Achilles tendon, isn't about to back down from the Lakers.

“They are trying to stack the deck over there, but I tell you what - I'm very pleased with my team and what we've been able to do and I will just say this - don't nobody scare me, man,” said the former Piston with a chuckle. Billups, who was Finals MVP when leading the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title, spoke briefly with the Free Press over the phone Saturday afternoon and said his rehab is “going well.” Billups, 35, suffered the injury in the February and some wondered if the 15-year veteran was facing the end of his career.

But he attacked his rehab vigorously and said he is doing almost all basketball-related activity with going five-on-five the remaining step. The Clippers signed him to a one-year deal this summer.He would like to be ready when training camp opens in a few weeks, but he is shooting for the season opener.

“I think it's going to be close, but I'm shooting to be ready for the regular season, to be honest with you,” Billups said. “But obviously you don't just jump out there in the regular season with no practices, I would never do that. “But honestly, I'm not in a rush at all. If I'm ready, I'm ready, but I'm just grinding and whenever my body tells me it's time to get back out there, that's when you will see me.”

Source

Talked to Chauncey Billups over weekend. Said he aiming to be ready by the regular season. Busy rehabbing left Achilles.

Billups on Lakers: “They are trying to stack the deck over there, but I tell you what – I’m very pleased with my team d what we’ve been able to do and I will just say this – don’t nobody scare me, man."

http://twitter.com/Vincent_Ellis56

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

• 4 weeks later...

Billups Looking Like a Rebounder

The vet is on the court and says he's 'far ahead of schedule' in returning from Achilles' tendon injury -

great news for a team that had a busy off-season.

http://i.imgur.com/QdUXq.jpg

Chauncey Billups is recovering from a torn left Achilles' tendon. (Paul Buck / EPA / January 19, 2012)

Soon, perhaps sooner than anyone dared hope, Chauncey Billups will regain his game and a piece of his identity. The man who was initially reluctant to join the Clippers after they won his rights in an amnesty waiver auction last December can't wait to rejoin a team he liked enough to re-sign with for another year. Expected to need at least eight months' healing time after tearing his left Achilles' tendon on Feb. 6, the veteran guard is back on the court, though he hasn't played five-on-five yet and wouldn't declare a target for his return.

"When my body feels right, that's when I'll be back," he said. "That being said, I'm far ahead of schedule. "It's not even like I had a summer. I've been on the whole time, doing rehabbing and other work every day. I'm looking forward to getting back to playing and being with the guys and resuming my normal life as a player."

Billups became the Clippers' glue in his 20 starts before his injury, adding poise and experience to the 14.9 points, 2.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists he averaged over 30.4 minutes. He was a leader on the court and in the locker room, providing guidance to Chris Paul and a voice of knowledge for Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe.

Full Story

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'