Raptors Trade James Johnson to Sacramento

The NBA’s amnesty window closes for the year on Tuesday evening and Colangelo said he doesn’t “anticipate doing something with amnesty, but until the deadline passes, you never want to close that door.”

Amnestying Calderon is not in the plans.

Though Calderon could be back, one of his teammates likely will not be.

“We’ve got a few smaller transactions that may happen in the coming days,” Colangelo said, before clarifying.

“At least one transaction that could happen that would free up some additional flexibility, both financially and with respect to the new makeup and composition of our team in terms of playing time,” he said of the unnamed player.

According to multiple sources, the Raptor in question is combo forward James Johnson, who fell out of favour with the coaching staff late last season following a strong first half.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/15/calderon-may-stay-for-now-raps-lose-in-vegas

I honestly think Johnson is as good as gone and would be floored if he is back witht he Raptors next season. With all of the "rumors" (and I only say that because none of it has actually been confirmed, but with how frequently his name is brought up, you know that at least some of them are true) and controversy around him last year it was clear he was on a thin leash. Drafting Ross and signing Fields made it even more obvious that Johnson was on the outs.

The problem is, what exactly do they expect to get for him? His value is probably next to nothing. Best case scenario is you get a $3M TPE for him.

UPDATE

Dealt to Sacramento for a 2014 2nd round pick.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

As @ESPNSteinLine reports, source confirms Kings get James Johnson for second-rounder. Johnson picked 16th out of Wake Forest in 2009.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

The second-round pick the Kings gave to Toronto in exchange for James Johnson, source says, was for 2014. Nice pickup, I say.

Traded to Sacramento for a 2nd round pick in 2014.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

As @ESPNSteinLine reports, source confirms Kings get James Johnson for second-rounder. Johnson picked 16th out of Wake Forest in 2009.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

The second-round pick the Kings gave to Toronto in exchange for James Johnson, source says, was for 2014. Nice pickup, I say.

That is actually a better return than I thought. Not to say it is anything of note comming back, but I thought the best case scenario would be one of those imaginary 2nd rounders where the protection on it makes it so you never actually get it.

Assuming Sacramento doesn't turn it around within the next two years, the Raptors may actually be getting a pick that is only 7-8 spots lower than the 1st they dealt for him (28th overall in 2010, I believe) which isn't bad.

Still, it is basically nothing like I figured.