Kobe: Stern's Olympic Age Limit Idea 'Stupid'

Kobe: David Stern's idea 'stupid'

http://i.imgur.com/hg7Ek.png

MANCHESTER, England -- After saying in Las Vegas that he hopes NBA pros will continue to represent their countries in the Olympics, Kobe Bryant voiced his dismay with the 23-and-under concept floated by NBA commissioner David Stern in even stronger terms Tuesday when Team USA arrived in the United Kingdom ahead of London 2012.

Speaking at an appearance at the town hall in Manchester not long after the Americans reached British soil via an overnight flight after Monday night's exhibition victory over Brazil in Washington, D.C., Bryant branded Stern's proposal to restrict the NBA's Olympic involvement to players aged 23 and younger as "stupid."

Read More

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Only reason I could even see this going down is if enough owners/gms/coaches complained about injuries. Or if we wanna just be America and prove how badass our under 23 ball players are compared to the rest of the world.

In the words of Chris Paul, the olympics are a huge honor and you represent your country. Even for someone of Kobe or LeBrons magnitude that's still probably the highlight of their athletic career to win an olympic gold.

I agree with Kobe on this issue. I understand why there is an age limit for soccer so the Olympics don't overshadow the World Cup but this rule would make no sense for basketball. Hopefully the Angel of Stern won't deprive us of enjoying watching Team USA play at its full potential.

It's a bad idea because Olympic Basketball is the premier tourney for International Basketball. The best players from each participating country should play. U-23 works for soccer because the World Cup is the sports biggest International competition.