Raptors Sign John Lucas to a 2 Year, $3M Deal

The Toronto Raptors are closing in on the signing of free-agent point guard John Lucas III, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com the sides are in advanced discussions to finalize the terms on a multiyear deal to add Lucas to a backcourt rotation that had already been strengthened earlier this month by the Raptors' acquisition of Kyle Lowry.

One source said Wednesday the Chicago Bulls, who've employed Lucas for much of the past two seasons, were resigned to losing the 29-year-old.

With the Raptors and representatives for point guard Jose Calderon working together on trying to find a new home for Calderon via trade, as ESPN.com reported last week, Lucas has been targeted by the Raptors to potentially serve as Lowry's primary backup when Calderon -- who wants a fresh start -- moves on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8178374/source-toronto-raptors-close-deal-john-lucas-iii

Is this insurance in case of a future Calderon deal or does this mean that the Raptors are close to dealing Calderon?

UPDATE:

Signed a 2 year, $3M deal. The 2nd year is a team option.

Totally forgot to mention in my first post that I hate the idea of giving a guy like Lucas a multi-year deal.

If it was a savy veteran backup point like an Earl Watson or something, sure, I'd be fine with giving a guy like that a multi-year deal to be the backup point guard. However, Lucas is hardly that type of player. I could easily see his shoot first, shoot second and pass third playing style becoming very annoying as time goes on.

Of course, that is just me. I've always liked having a steady, calming influence as my backup point guard. A guy who is reliable, can come in and run the offense and you know what you will get on a nightly basis over having boom or bust type of backup point guards. Lucas definitely falls into the latter catagory.

Officially signed a 2 year, $3M deal. The 2nd year is a team option.

Definitely a lot better signing than what I first anticipated. I still don't like his game very much, especially if he is the backup point (as a 3rd string, I don't mind though) but considering I was expecting something stupid like 3 fully guaranteed years, I'm fine with this signing.

I like Lucas, from what I've seen he should be a solid guy coming off the bench for us. Calderon is going to be even more pissed off though...

I really doubt Calderon cares about this move one way or another. If Calderon is still here come te start of the season, he is clearly not going to have to fight Lucas for minutes. He is simply a vastly superior player.

I think this move has much more to due with them having insurance in case of an injury or a Calderon trade that doesn't find a point guard coming back.

If all three of the current points are on the roster at the start of the year, it is clear that Lucas would be getting mop up and garbage minutes.