What's the deal with Orlando?

The Magic have lost some good players in the last couple decades (Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, and now Dwight). What is about the city of Orlando or the Magic front office that has led to poor retention in regards to their stars? Does the blame strictly fall on one thing or is it a combination of both? I honestly can't think of another franchise that has done such a poor job holding on to their franchise players.

Shaq- Wanted to play in LA.

Penny- Broken knees.

McGrady- Ran out of town by the GM/wanted to go to better team.

Howard- Wanted to play in bigger market with (at least) a 2nd superstar.

• Owner

For both McGrady and Howard, I'd shift the blame over to the front office. I realize the Magic put together a team that reached the Finals in 2009, but once that happened, they never really did anything to improve, and they felt Howard was going to continue to carry them without getting over that hump. People said the same about Cleveland and LeBron, too.

Shaq is different, though. I felt like he never gave Orlando the chance. He had dollar signs for pupils the day he started playing over at LSU, and he knew where to go to make the best of his career, money-wise.

I mean...with McGrady, he lasted 4-5 seasons in Orlando, after Toronto dealt him for Fran (lol), but that team was absolutely horrible. Dwight has been there since 2004. As noted by Nitro, Penny's career was basically over before he even thought about leaving Orlando. But Shaq? He gave them four years, reached the Finals and was swept, got to the ECF's and was swept by the Bulls, and then he bailed, despite having an all-star teammate in Penny (and Hardaway was a four-time all-star before his big injury, twice before Shaq's departure).

• Like 1

I realize the Magic put together a team that reached the Finals in 2009, but once that happened, they never really did anything to improve,

I actually think they did improve the season after. Remember, they swept the first 2 rounds in 2010, and the Hawks series they historically destroyed them. However, they ran into a Celtic team that was on a serious roll. They beat the Celtics the previous year, but that was in 7 games without KG.

Definitely didn't make the improvements to win a championship, though, and the horrible contracts they latched onto handicapped them.

I mean...with McGrady, he lasted 4-5 seasons in Orlando, after Toronto dealt him for Fran (lol), but that team was absolutely horrible.

And as I said in my first post, he was literally ran out of town by a GM who would constantly trash him in the media and behind the scenes. T-Mac's personality didn't help things, but I think T-Mac wanted to stay deep down.

dont remember the exact words but in shaqs book he said his relationship with the magic started to crumble when he took time off to mourn his grandmothers death. she was one of the most important people in his life so it was real personal and real serious. and one day head coach brian hill told reporters "i dont know where he is, go find him" and acted like he didnt know what was goin on in shaqs life. teammates and front office didnt stick up for him

he also looked at alonzo mourning as his competition [they were drafted right next to each other], and zo signed a contract worth 110 million. so the bar was set and thinking he was the better player [which he is] , shaq asked for 115 million but all the magic pitched him was 7 years at 70 million [somethin like that]. he then found out that the front office didnt wanna pay him more than penny. supposedly it was gonna be his team because "its a guard's league now". jerry west over at the lakers traded a couple guys for cap relief and offered shaq 120 mill and the rest is history

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...