Jacque Vaughn Named Magic's Head Coach

Force

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

Magic name Jacque Vaughn coach; he spent last two seasons as an assistant with Spurs

Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless

Jacque Vaughn right choice for Magic coach. Popovich products always a good bet. DHoward might realize his destination should be Orlando.

Thoughts? Guy is only 37.

• Like 1

Fantastic decision IMO. I really think he's going to become a great coach.

Pop and Duncan compliment his coaching all the time. He's one of those guys that you just knew was going to make a better coach than actual player.

Trap job for JV. His career will go down with the team as they rebuild over the next few years. The Magic need someone more experienced imo.

Why is it a trap job? When the Magic deal Dwight everybody will write them off and, depending on the package, have little-to-no expectations for them. That makes any positives he accomplishes with the team a bonus.

I really don't see how a rookie head coach getting his first gig with a rebuilding team will result in ruining his coaching career unless he absolutely tanks as a coach. If that is the case, it doesn't really matter what type of team he is coaching because he wouldn't be cut out for being a head coach anyways.

Why is it a trap job? When the Magic deal Dwight everybody will write them off and, depending on the package, have little-to-no expectations for them. That makes any positives he accomplishes with the team a bonus.

I really don't see how a rookie head coach getting his first gig with a rebuilding team will result in ruining his coaching career unless he absolutely tanks as a coach. If that is the case, it doesn't really matter what type of team he is coaching because he wouldn't be cut out for being a head coach anyways.

I'm not saying its going to permanently ruin his career, but it will definitely decrease the number of coaching opportunities for the future. Putting a guy with no head coaching experience into a spot like this is too big of a gamble for both parties.

I'm not saying its going to permanently ruin his career, but it will definitely decrease the number of coaching opportunities for the future. Putting a guy with no head coaching experience into a spot like this is too big of a gamble for both parties.

You are acting like he is guaranteed to fail.

Why is getting your foot in the door way too big of a gamble for Vaughn?

I could understand if he was hired with the expectation of getting the team back to the Finals or something, but the realisitic expectations for the Magic this upcoming season will be very, very low once Howard is dealt.

Any positives will likely reflect very well upon the job Vaughn does as a coach.

I know it isn't an exact comparision but like at Dwane Casey last year.

His name was rumored for a couple of jobs (like Vaughn) but he missed out on one (Houston to McHale, like Vaughn missing out on a few jobs this year) until he was hired by a rebuilding team with low expectations (Toronto for Casey, Orlando for Vaughn). Nobody expected anything from the Raptors with many people predicting them to be a bottom 3 team in the league. Casey ends up completely changing their identity as a defensive pushover, getting them to be an average defensive team and also managing to guide them to the 8th worst record even with Bargnani, Bayless and Calderon (arguably the Raptors 3 best players last year) missing at least 10 games (and in Bargnani's case, more than half the season). He is now viewed as one of the better young (in terms of head coaching experience) coaches in the league.

Like I said, I know the comparision isn't exact since Casey had previous head coaching experience with Minnesota, but who's to say that Vaughn can't have a similar year as Casey did? Sometimes the best option for rookie head coaches is to come into a situation where there isn't a lot of pressure and expectations.

I just don't see the logic behind this being a poor career decision for Vaughn. Sure, he may end up in over his head but that would be the case regardless of what team he is coaching.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, I'm just having a hard time grasping your thought process here.

Maybe it's just me but I've never been a big proponent of putting an inexperienced coach into a gig where the team is in complete rebuild mode. I had no problem the Cav's hiring Byron Scott because the guy has some experience and can do a much better job of pointing the team in the right direction.

I get what you're saying, but what good does it do to hire someone like JV? Chances are it's more of a miss than a hit. Realistically it's going to take Orlando maybe 2-3 years minimum to rebound and get back into the mix of things.The Magic need to hire someone with a better track record that way you can maximize the talent that they have now.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that hiring a coach with experience reduces turnover, and gives the team a better opportunity to succeed. I'm not taking anything away from JV, but the chances of him getting this team anywhere are very slim.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely comes across as a really smart person. I hope he brings a "Spurs-like" affect on the Magic and I hope he plays the younger guys. We're obviously in tanking mode now. It's gonna be a fresh breath of air seeing our guys play with heart and play something different then the whole inside/out game.