Want a one-way ticket to Mars?

[--->Source]

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/yzZMfRnsLk0tW0F3KShdag--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/technews/ran-630-mars-books-shutterstock-630w.jpeg

Mars One wants to send you to the red planet, but it's a one-way trip

If you've always wanted to live on a distant world, Dutch company Mars One wants to give you your chance to settle on the red planet. There's only one catch: You'll never be able to return to Earth.

Next year, Mars One will hold a worldwide lottery to select 40 people to train to be civilian astronauts. That group will be sent to live in a desert simulation for three months, after which the initial pool will be whittled down to 10. By 2023, this group will be sent to Mars to form the first permanent human settlement.

According to Bas Lansdorp, founder of Mars One, "We will send humans to Mars in 2023. They will live there the rest of their lives. There will be a habitat waiting for them, and we'll start sending four people every two years."

Once the new settlement has begun to thrive, the possibility for a return visit to Earth may open up. Still, that's not guaranteed. Says Lansdorp, "our astronauts will be offered a one-way trip. We have no idea when it will be possible to offer return tickets."

Joining up with Mars One is probably the most cost-effective way you'll ever set foot on Mars. After all, buying a round-trip ticket to Mars from space tourism company Space X will cost you $500,000.

[via Fox News]

[image credit: Wadi Rum desert via Shutterstock]

This article was written by Fox Van Allen and originally appeared on Tecca

Would you go? You would probably die within 3 months for sure. I mean you would run out of food and water, then you are totally [expletive]ed.

I wouldn't do it. There's a reason there is no humans currently there...it's uninhabitable for us, so we'd be stuck in a space-mall the rest of our lives.

Still, cool idea, and hopefully in 30-40 years there will be more cost-effective ways to go there and back.

I wouldn't do it. There's a reason there is no humans currently there...it's uninhabitable for us, so we'd be stuck in a space-mall the rest of our lives.

Still, cool idea, and hopefully in 30-40 years there will be more cost-effective ways to go there and back.

Yea but the rest of your life would be really short, because you wouldn't have food to last you no more then a year if you get the right food and know how to share it with the rest of the people who would be with you. Also I think after the food, people might even start to attack each other and could eat each other.

Kinda related, but if we were to ever colonize say the moon, we would need 160 unrelated people for there to be virtually no risk of crossbreeding

Why 160? Why not shorter number or higher number? Just curious. Or did you just throw out a number for not special reason. Also that is a really good and smart idea.

The Reapers will just build the mass relays and we'll be fine. Mass Effect status.

But seriously, I probably wouldn't lol

Mass Effect :wub: love that game!

Yeah I probably won't do it neither because back on earth people would look at you like you are Lewis & Clark, but for the rich you are just a test subject that goes there to get information. Then you're name will be forgotten through out history as being the first humans to go to Mars. While the rich will claim they were the first humans and etc....

Yea but the rest of your life would be really short, because you wouldn't have food to last you no more then a year if you get the right food and know how to share it with the rest of the people who would be with you. Also I think after the food, people might even start to attack each other and could eat each other.

Why do you assume there will be no food? They won't be doing this project just to have the colony eat each other lol. It is meant to kickstart a colony on Mars, and they will be adding people every year or so (I'm sure each shuttle providing plenty of food for the people already there).

Why do you assume there will be no food? They won't be doing this project just to have the colony eat each other lol. It is meant to kickstart a colony on Mars, and they will be adding people every year or so (I'm sure each shuttle providing plenty of food for the people already there).

True but they said they might send more people out there and it would take forever for someone to get there. And another forum where it's more deep about this convo, they are saying these people could us the co2 from Mars to build a greenhouse and make a garden for food. But then again you would get annoyed by getting vegetables all the time, I'm sure you would want meat at one point. You're body really needs protein at some point. Also I do not know how they would manage to even find water.

True but they said they might send more people out there and it would take forever for someone to get there. And another forum where it's more deep about this convo, they are saying these people could us the co2 from Mars to build a greenhouse and make a garden for food. But then again you would get annoyed by getting vegetables all the time, I'm sure you would want meat at one point. You're body really needs protein at some point. Also I do not know how they would manage to even find water.

1) It takes like 7 months to get to Mars.

2) Why do you keep assuming they need Mars' environment to create food? I am sure they will be bringing wayyyyy more than enough food to last them when they take the trip out there. And besides, I am not certain, but I am assuming they will be building this structure that these people will colonize in before the "settlers" even get there, that will be equipped with whatever they need for survival.

3) People spend months and years at space stations already and don't resort in cannibalism. I am sure this thing on Mars will be the same.

1) It takes like 7 months to get to Mars.

2) Why do you keep assuming they need Mars' environment to create food? I am sure they will be bringing wayyyyy more than enough food to last them when they take the trip out there. And besides, I am not certain, but I am assuming they will be building this structure that these people will colonize in before the "settlers" even get there, that will be equipped with whatever they need for survival.

3) People spend months and years at space stations already and don't resort in cannibalism. I am sure this thing on Mars will be the same.

Yea it does take around 7 to 9 months, but there is different kind of food that is more nutritious for you're body that last short amount of time. Now you have other food that is alright for you're body to eat. But I'm just think of worst case scenario, because it would be super difficult to survive on Mars or anywhere for that fact without food, specially water.

And it would me smart to make a greenhouse on Mars so you could start producing food, that is one quick/easy way to survive if they ran out of food.

Yeah that is also true but they know their outcome that they will be back to the public after spending much amount of time away from the public, also someone has to bring them food as well once they run out an such. This here is a totally different situation, which these people have to be sure they could loose their life on Mars.