Serge Ibaka or James Harden

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My guess is that both will be getting max contracts when they become free agents next season. They're both rising stars and obviously the Thunder wont be able to keep both. So the question is who do the Thunder retain, the possible defensive anchor or the potential perennial all-star?

For me personally the decision is simple you bring back the person who doesn't compromise you stars in Westbrook and Durant. Scoring doesn't seem to be any sort of issue for the team so bringing back an elite shot blocker sounds to be the obvious solution.

Edited by Simba

I personally would keep Ibaka, the guy will just become a much bigger defensive force and I'm sure Thunder can find another guy in the FA or specially Draft to put up close to 16ppg off the bench or probably as a starter. But yea I would def. keep a good defensive player around because there is more scorers now a day then really good defensive players. I mean if they make it to the Finals lets say again Harden won't be guarding LeBron no way. But with Ibaka you have a better chance of making LeBron life a little harder.

Ibaka. He's a special big man. I saw him step up big time against the Heat. His jump shot keeps improving, and his hustle, especially on defense, is rare in the league. He's gotten better each year and could be a top power forward in the league in a few years.

It's a lot easier to find a sixth man type player. Sure, it may not be to Harden's caliber, but he'd be easier to find a formidable replacement for.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Serge Ibaka was the best shot blocker in the league this past season, and it wasn't even close. Harden is one of the league's best shooting guards already, but when you have two perimeter players capable of scoring 25+ a night, it's best to focus on building up that front court. Ibaka probably won't ever develop into a big time scoring threat, but he brings something special to the team that Harden can't: a defensive anchor. Defensive anchors are much more rare than a solid scorer off the bench. Will OKC be able to bring in a player as good as James Harden? No. But, can they land a serviceable player for the MLE that can shoot and score well for a 6th man? Most likely, yes. Keep Ibaka and you will keep your defense strong. Lose him, and your two superstars are going to have to spend a lot more energy on defense without a 3.6 BPG guy protecting the paint.