What is the Wolves' ceiling?

With Rubio expected to take another step in his second year as starting point guard, as well as one of the best scoring and rebounding forwards in the game in Kevin Love, the Wolves have a talented duo to build around. With additions such as Andrei Kirilenko, Aleksey Shved, Greg Stiemsma, Brandon Roy, and Chase Budinger, as well as Pek's impressive performance this past season, the supporting cast appears to be very competent. Derrick Williams is a big question mark at forward, as many have targeted him as a potential bust early in his career, but I think he will pair well with Rubio in transition, whether it's off the bench or at small forward. Depth and overall talent has definitely improved from a few years ago in Minnesota.

With that being said, I still think they are a long way away from title contenders, even if you give the group a couple years together to gel. They are very limited defensively, and although Love and Rubio is a solid tandem, these days it takes more to contend for a title. I think they are another star away from title contention, as the Wolves are still weak on the wings and lack a shot blocking presence in the post. I see them slipping into the playoffs and being a first round exit this upcoming year, and beyond that it will take a major move before they hit their eventual ceiling, which I think will be set at around 3rd in West (definitely behind Lakers and Thunder).

Where do you see Minnesota's eventual ceiling considering the lineup they currently have, and what needs to change in the future for them to contend for a title?

The Wolves definitely improved this year but obviously their not on the levels of the Lakers, Thunder, Clippers, or Spurs and I don't think there better than Memphis, Dallas, or Denver not yet anyway. I think they can compete with the likes of Utah, Phoenix, and possibly Golden State for the 7th or 8th seed and being a first round knockout. That would be a good season for the Wolves since they haven't sniffed the playoffs since 2004. As for there ceiling If they keep the team together that they have now I don't see them being any better than what Memphis during the 10-11 season. As you said if they could add another good piece with what they got they could possibly contend with the best in the West

Edited by htownborn

I would be shocked if a Kevin Love-led team ever won a playoff series.

I think it can happen, especially if Rubio develops into the player he's expected to be, but he is going to have to have a killer supporting cast. Teams without a true superstar rarely contend for titles, and when they do, they've got a very strong and balanced lineup across the board, a la Sacramento of the early 2000s with Webber or Detroit when they had their run in 2004. Minnesota is going to need some serious players at the 2, 3, and 5 spots, and there is very little margin for error when you don't have a guy like LeBron, Durant, or Kobe that can score on isolations and command extra attention.

It's possible, but they'll have to do better than Roy, Kirilenko, and Pekovic around their young duo.

• 2 weeks later...

7th seed is their ceiling.

They won't be better than any of:

Lakers

Clippers

OKC

Spurs

Nuggets

Grizzlies

I imagine they'll be fighting for one of the final 2 playoff spots in the West along with:

Dallas

Utah

Golden State

I think they finish outside of the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they landed one of those final two spots since there really isn't a whole lot seperating Minny from these three teams. Assuming everybody stays healthy, I'd have Golden State and Dallas ahead of them, but if a key player or two misses even 10 games for one of those teams, Minny should jump ahead of them.