Sports-Lite & Discuss Hoops Affiliation

Sports-Lite

Hey guys! I'm a member from a newly created site(2 weeks old) called Sports-Lite. We are seeking long-term affiliation with Discuss Hoops and hopefully our site can work as a team. I couldn't recognize which Administrator I should actually speak to, I'm very sorry for that!

Thank you.

What do you mean my good man?

I believe all new topics created in the General NBA and team forums are sent to our Twitter feed. This topic isn't basketball related and not exactly what the followers of our account want to see.

• Owner

We have dropped all affiliations over time, for many reasons I really won't bother getting into (has to do with our hack a few years ago, and about 200 total spam PM's over the last year). However, I have planned on adding new affiliates for a while.

As of now, though, I don't have a page set up for affiliates, nor do I have requirements (ex. how long a board has been up and running). The requirements are specifically placed to assure us that we aren't touching base with a site that has broken away from another affiliate of ours, one that encourages spamming, has a history of ripping ideas/images/names, etc.

It brings me to my sole question, though: what relationship do you guys have with HN? I noticed a handful of members came from there.

Yikes, looks like this went through to the Twitter feed.

I removed it from both the FB and Twitter accounts within two minutes, lol.

• Like 2

The graphics designer from HN is actually my best friend. He helped create our site from scratch. HN and SPL have no connections whatsoever. The owner(Tony Hoops) has promised affiliation in the future once our site grows. Our main focus is to become a large sports forum.

Edited by Sports-Lite

• Owner

The graphics designer from HN is actually my best friend. He helped create our site from scratch. HN and SPL have no connections whatsoever. The owner(Tony Hoops) has promised affiliation in the future once our site grows. Our main focus is to become a large sports forum.

That's fine. I was just curious, of course. OTR/DH has been up for 7 1/2 years now, so we've had our share of affiliates...and quite a few have broken ties with previous sites not only for their own good, but to damage another. I didn't see any indication of that going on, though, but I had to ask.

Honestly, if you want a tip, I would cool off on the affiliates right now. Rake in your members, establish yourself on a social network(s), and take another month to do that. Then, start searching for smaller message boards that are on life support, maybe even asking for a merger (we've never merged with anyone, but it seems to be effective), or tackling HN before anyone else as far as affiliates go. Your first big one should be HN, anyway, since your community is most familiar with them.

I won't name the two sites I'm thinking about, but they rushed into affiliations before, and now, neither of them are around. Instead of gaining members, linking back to the more established site brought less in and sent FAR more out.

• Like 1

That's fine. I was just curious, of course. OTR/DH has been up for 7 1/2 years now, so we've had our share of affiliates...and quite a few have broken ties with previous sites not only for their own good, but to damage another. I didn't see any indication of that going on, though, but I had to ask.

Honestly, if you want a tip, I would cool off on the affiliates right now. Rake in your members, establish yourself on a social network(s), and take another month to do that. Then, start searching for smaller message boards that are on life support, maybe even asking for a merger (we've never merged with anyone, but it seems to be effective), or tackling HN before anyone else as far as affiliates go. Your first big one should be HN, anyway, since your community is most familiar with them.

I won't name the two sites I'm thinking about, but they rushed into affiliations before, and now, neither of them are around. Instead of gaining members, linking back to the more established site brought less in and sent FAR more out.

Wow, that's a whole lot of time! 7 years is a whole lot. The thing is, SPL is not like HN whatsoever. We're a sports site. We can hopefully have H-N in our pockets as we grow even larger(I respect that site with my heart). But we're a sports site - not a hoops site. We know HN will die off real soon. That place has been occupied by trolls and it was getting ridiculous. We had to do something about it. It's the reason why most of their members is on our site. Obviously they are going to post on HN more because they are much more active, but that's only a matter of time.