If Kobe ended up with 7 rings...

• Owner

Even without the rings, he's top five for me. Jordan, Kareem, Kobe, Magic, Wilt (no particular order).

Add two rings to the collection, and I will stick him right behind MJ, without thinking twice. I still can't get over the fact that Wilt averaged his 50 PPG, and did everything he did on the glass, in an era where 6'7" PF's were defending him, and there were few athletic freaks.

It would depend on how he got those rings. I think he needs at least one more as the definitive best player on the team, which I don't think he is anymore. Lets say he wins 2 more, but Dwight wins finals MVP both times, then what? Because honestly, unless the voters [expletive] up utterly (entirely possible), or Kobe somehow stops shooting 11-26 every game, I really don't see Kobe being more productive than Dwight.

But to answer your implicit question, no, he would not be ahead of MJ.

EDIT: Didn't read your entire post, my fault. If he wins 2 more, and is the best player on the team somehow, then the I don't see how you keep Kobe out of your top 3. I don't think we have to worry though, because I really don't see how Kobe is going to get 28 a night seeing as he will probably need 22+ shots for that, which there really aren't that many available for him.

Even in your suggested scenario, he still isn't ahead of MJ.

Edited by Check my Stats

Dwight may very well win Finals MVP if he averaged like 22/18 with 3 blocks which hes very capable of.

Kobe is going to lead this team in scoring regardless though. I think hel be a bit more efficient playing alongside Nash, his 28 points or so wont take a lot of shots.

In my all time great list I would have Kobe at about 11 or 12 very close to top 10. Kobe's one of my favorite players but I think there's guys I could put ahead of him. I know alot may say Kobe is top 5 and with good reason but MJ, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bird, Russell, Hakeem, Big O, and Shaq are in my top 10 and are ahead of Kobe IMO and I think you can make arguments as to who can be at #10 between Kobe, Robinson, Malone, Barkley, and Duncan. If he wins 2 more rings and is still productive I would put him in my top 10 easily, if he makes it to the Finals and play's the way he did in game 7 of the 2010 Finals then it can go either way. What I mean by go either way is he can stay where he is from a ranking standpoint or he's ranking could go down especially if LeBron continues to win rings and rack up MVP's. Overall though I think Kobe is a top 15 player all time and could be top 10 if he still puts up great numbers with rings.

Edited by htownborn

• Owner

Robinson, Malone and Barkley over Kobe??? I'm the biggest Charles Barkley fan on this site, and he's not even CLOSE to KB.

I can see where people think any of the other legends are better (like Magic, because of his individual awards, or Russell because he has 11 rings), but there is no way in hell any ringless player in the history of the game is sitting in front of Kobe on that list.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone place Kobe out of the top 10, and especially sticking any of those three players ahead of him.

• Like 1

Robinson, Malone and Barkley over Kobe??? I'm the biggest Charles Barkley fan on this site, and he's not even CLOSE to KB.

I can see where people think any of the other legends are better (like Magic, because of his individual awards, or Russell because he has 11 rings), but there is no way in hell any ringless player in the history of the game is sitting in front of Kobe on that list.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone place Kobe out of the top 10, and especially sticking any of those three players ahead of him.

LOL chill bro I didn't put Barkley ahead of Kobe I said you can argue that he's top 10 along with Robinson, Duncan, and Malone (Karl and Moses). Honestly I would have Barkley behind Kobe but not to far behind. I think you can make an argument that Robinson and Malone are ahead of Kobe even though you can probably make a better case for Kobe. True Malone doesn't have a ring but he does have 2 MVP's and Robinson has 1 MVP just like Kobe he just doesn't have the rings Kobe has. Granted Kobe should probably have more MVP's but the same can be said for guys like Shaq as well.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone place Kobe out of the top 10

Believe me I've seen a lot of people not including Kobe in there top 10, hell I've even seen some not include the dude in there top 20 let alone top 10 a lot of that may be hate towards Kobe though, may sound crazy but there are some that fell that way. I know in my post I said I would put Kobe at 11 or 12 but I take that back it's not that I don't consider Kobe a top 10 player all-time I just think you can argue that others can be considered there as well.

Edited by htownborn

• Owner

LOL chill bro I didn't put Barkley ahead of Kobe I said you can argue that he's top 10 along with Robinson, Duncan, and Malone (Karl and Moses).

I know you didn't necessarily stick him there. My question is, how is there even an argument? Kobe has as many championships as Duncan, D-Rob, Malone and Barkley combined. He's a better scorer than all of them (even Malone...the all-time scoring numbers don't mean THAT much, or else Karl is also a better scorer than MJ). Kobe has always been five times the defender Charles has been.

If you're going to say that Charles Barkley is arguably top ten, you might as well stick Steve Nash in there as well, because he has two MVP awards...and Dirk Nowitzki, for having one MVP + a championship, as well as Kevin Garnett (who has actually accomplished more than Barkley AND is a better overall player).

Then, if Nash is considered, you have to add Stockton, who is a top three PG of all time (Magic, Oscar, Stockton).

Believe me I've seen a lot of people not including Kobe in there top 10, hell I've even seen some not include the dude in there top 20

I feel bad for them, then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know you didn't necessarily stick him there. My question is, how is there even an argument? Kobe has as many championships as Duncan, D-Rob, Malone and Barkley combined. He's a better scorer than all of them (even Malone...the all-time scoring numbers don't mean THAT much, or else Karl is also a better scorer than MJ). Kobe has always been five times the defender Charles has been.

If you're going to say that Charles Barkley is arguably top ten, you might as well stick Steve Nash in there as well, because he has two MVP awards...and Dirk Nowitzki, for having one MVP + a championship, as well as Kevin Garnett (who has actually accomplished more than Barkley AND is a better overall player).

Then, if Nash is considered, you have to add Stockton, who is a top three PG of all time (Magic, Oscar, Stockton).

I feel bad for them, then.

Fair enough and I don't disagree with a word you said. I just like looking at things from a unbiased prospective that's all but you make good points