Demar Derozan Drew League Highlights

Video

Obviously summer league games aren’t the best way to analyze a player and his true abilities but you can still get a feel of a player and what they are capable of doing. Check out NBA rising star DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors showing off his improved game during the LA Drew League semi-finals and championship games. DeMar seems to have tightened up his handle a bit and worked on his shot.

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/debo-snap-shot-.jpg

I know the Drew league doesn't compare to the NBA, but by the looks of it, Demar seems to have really improved on his jumper, most noticeably his range. His handles might be a bit improved too.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

I bought way too much into that drew league shit last year. He even did well in the pickup games with the select team (read he was the leading scorer for the, don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong). I don't give a shit what he is doing in any jersey besides a Raptors one.

I bought way too much into that drew league shit last year. He even did well in the pickup games with the select team (read he was the leading scorer for the, don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong). I don't give a shit what he is doing in any jersey besides a Raptors one.

You are correct. He was the leading scorer for the select team. I don't remember the exact specifics, but I think he averaged around 7 points a game and shot around 60%, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

As for the Drew League, his 44 point game was impressive given the fact that based on what I read he pretty much took over the game and brought his team back nearly single handedly. That kind of mentality is more impressive to me than the fact that he dropped 44 points.

However, at the end of the day I couldn't care less how he played in the Drew League. I'm more interested in the work that he is doing with Raptors coaching staff, his work with his personal strength and conditioning coach and things like that.

I know his drew league playing doesn't mean anything if he can't bring it to an NBA court. I just liked what I saw from parts of his game that seemed to be weaknesses last season.

The problem is that the same things were being said at this time last year. I actually remember reading threads on the RealGM Raptors board about how DeRozan's jumper was significantly improved and that his handle was much tighter based on Drew League highlights.

Of course, those things didn't exactly prove to be correct. Sure, he dramatically improved his 3 point percentage last year, but his mid range jumper wasn't nearly as good as it was the previous season, he was still a well below average shooter from deep and he struggled to create much of anything in isolation situations.

I don't think anybody will say that DeRozan doesn't look good in those highlights because that isn't true. It's just a case of been there, done that with him and people aren't really impressed by him having a strong showing in a summer league.

This year may be different because he was on the select team and he is able to work out with Raptor coaches and trainers, but the Drew League stigma isn't exactly a positive one considering how much hype he got last year because of it.

No matter how DeMar does in the season, I always see his summer work and I see improvements of some sort and that keeps my hopes alive that this guy still has upside and can be a star in this league. This highlight mix only has me more excited for the year, ontop of everything that has happened already.