Cuban Rips Kidd

Mavericks owner Cuban OK without D-Will, mad at Kidd

"I was more than upset. I thought he was coming. I was pissed. J-Kidd is a big boy; he can do whatever he wants. But you don't change your mind like that. That was ... yeah. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point, but as of now, I wouldn't put J-Kidd's number in the rafters." -- Cuban

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban quickly moved on from the club's failed bid to land point guard Deron Williams. But he's holding a grudge against Jason Kidd, the championship point guard who surprisingly backed out on a deal to return and signed with the New York Knicks.

Cuban, during an appearance Tuesday morning on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's "Ben & Skin Show," said the Mavs actually might be better off without Williams, the homegrown talent and three-time All-Star the Mavs hotly pursued in free agency. Cuban claimed a max contract for Williams would have created tricky salary-cap ramifications and made it difficult to build a championship-caliber roster around him and Mavs stalwart Dirk Nowitzki.

"I don't want to pick on Deron Williams because he's a great, great, great player, and so it's not necessarily him, per se," Cuban said. "The conversation we had going back and forth -- and obviously the decision was to go for him -- but the conversation was, 'OK, once you add $17.1 million in salary to what we'd have with Dirk and Trix (Shawn Marion), then what do you do?' That's your squad. And it's not just your squad for this year. It's your squad for next year other than the $3.3 million mini midlevel.

Source

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

awful title since i had to click the link to find out what was promised and he didn't really rip him

As for Kidd, who was prepared to sign a three-year, $9 million deal with the Mavs before backing out the next morning to accept essentially the same deal with the Knicks, Cuban is still fuming at Kidd's handling of the situation and said there's no chance he'll consider retiring Kidd's No. 2 jersey.

"I was more than upset. I thought he was coming. I was pissed," Cuban said. "J-Kidd is a big boy; he can do whatever he wants. But you don't change your mind like that. That was ... yeah. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point, but as of now, I wouldn't put J-Kidd's number in the rafters.

"It hurt my feelings, period, because I felt that we had developed a relationship, and I thought that he was committed to the organization. It sure seemed that he was. I mean, J-Kidd was active in going out there and talking to Deron Williams the whole time. I guess it was more shocking and surprising than anything else."

idk why the Mavs would retire his jersey anyway

Mavericks owner Cuban OK without D-Will, mad at Kidd

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban quickly moved on from the club's failed bid to land point guard Deron Williams. But he's holding a grudge against Jason Kidd, the championship point guard who surprisingly backed out on a deal to return and signed with the New York Knicks.

Cuban, during an appearance Tuesday morning on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's "Ben & Skin Show," said the Mavs actually might be better off without Williams, the homegrown talent and three-time All-Star the Mavs hotly pursued in free agency. Cuban claimed a max contract for Williams would have created tricky salary-cap ramifications and made it difficult to build a championship-caliber roster around him and Mavs stalwart Dirk Nowitzki.

"I don't want to pick on Deron Williams because he's a great, great, great player, and so it's not necessarily him, per se," Cuban said. "The conversation we had going back and forth -- and obviously the decision was to go for him -- but the conversation was, 'OK, once you add $17.1 million in salary to what we'd have with Dirk and Trix (Shawn Marion), then what do you do?' That's your squad. And it's not just your squad for this year. It's your squad for next year other than the $3.3 million mini midlevel.

Source

You should post a bit about Kidd in the quote if you're going to title it "Cuban Rips Kidd"