R. Lopez Ready For Fresh Start With Hornets

Robin Lopez ready for new career chapter in New Orleans

http://i.imgur.com/orcdn.png

Westwego, LA. (AP) -- Robin Lopez always saw himself as a defense-first big man, someone who can grind out low-scoring games. The 7-foot center suspects that's why the Hornets, with defensive-minded coach Monty Williams at the helm, made a trade with the Phoenix Suns for him late last month.

"With the exception of Phoenix, in college and high school I always played with low-scoring successful teams," Lopez said on Thursday morning while working out at the Hornets' training center. "That is something I can definitely get accustomed to here."

Lopez is currently rehabilitating from an operation earlier this month to repair a torn medial meniscus on the same left knee that has bothered him since early in the 2010-11 season, when he went out for a month after then-Suns teammate Jared Dudley fell and rolled into him. His performance has sagged ever since the injury and last season he fell out of a starting role and averaged 5.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 14 minutes a game. Other previous injuries during his young career have included a bulging disk in his back and a fractured foot.

Full Story