MVP Challengers to LeBron

Sħãlïq™

INSIDER: MVP Challengers to LeBron

LeBron James is going to be the best player in the league next season -- no doubt about it.

Shaquille O'Neal and Bryant could each lay claim to being the league's best player for a few years, but they have just two MVP awards combined. That's the same number that Steve Nash has, and while he is good, he has never been regarded as the league's best player. History suggests there's a good chance James won't win this season's MVP award. That being the case, here's a look at seven candidates besides James and what needs to happen for each of them to be named MVP.

Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

Durant is the obvious choice outside of James. Few would have argued if Durant had been named MVP over James last season, so it's logical to think this is the season Durant finally takes home the award.

He made great strides in several areas last season. A career .468 shooter, Durant raised his field goal percentage to a career-best .496. He also averaged career-highs in rebounds (8.0) and blocks (1.2). That's all well and good, but for Durant to win the MVP award, he needs to continue to improve on defense. While he is not strong and burly, with his length and athleticism, he could be a lockdown defender -- at least on perimeter players. Speaking of strength, he needs to get stronger so tough, tall, athletic defenders such as James and Stephen Jackson can't disrupt him and keep him from getting the ball where he likes it on the floor.

While it was nice to see Durant grab eight boards a game -- he should always be around that number -- he actually had a drop off on the offensive glass. Early in his career, he would get you an offensive rebound per game, but last season, he averaged a career-low 0.6 offensive boards. The decline was indicative of Durant's decision to play outside more. I like him outside since he is such a great shooter, but he needs to be more aggressive in attacking the rim. Last season, he averaged just 7.6 free throws per game, his lowest average in three seasons.

For Durant, who could very well lead the league in scoring for the fourth straight season, the MVP formula is to get more aggressive in the paint, both by driving and by rebounding, and to improve defensively. Leading OKC to the best record in the league will be a huge boost for his MVP chances as well.

Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers

How long Howard sits out while recovering from back surgery will affect his MVP chances. But assuming he is back by December, he'll definitely be in the hunt. Expect Howard once again to be in the top two or three in rebounding and blocked shots, but we also should see an improved Howard on offense. With Nash dishing him the ball and Bryant and Pau Gasol drawing attention from the defense, Howard should receive more one-on-one coverage than he has had in years, perhaps ever.

The question for Howard and the Lakers is how age affects Nash (3 and Bryant (34). If they show a decline, Howard will likely emerge as the club's top player and have a good shot at winning the MVP. But if both players are as good as they were last season, Bryant is likely to lead the Lakers in scoring and arguably be their best player, which could keep Howard from claiming the award.

Voters could also hold Howard's handling of his exit from Orlando against him, as they might have done to James in his first season in Miami. But if Howard averages around 19 points, 15 rebounds and more than three blocks per game while leading the Lakers to the first- or second-best record in the West, the award could be his.

Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

CP3 was my preseason pick for MVP last season, and if Chauncey Billups weren't injured, maybe I would have been right. But Paul is still on the short list of candidates. He looked slimmer and more athletic during the Olympics than he did last season, so I'm expecting an uptick in his already terrific play.

He is going to be around 20 points and nine or 10 assists a game, he is going to have several clutch moments late in games, and he is going to be among the league leaders (likely No. 1) in steals. For Paul to win the MVP award, though, it's all about the Clippers' record. If they end up in the mid-50s in terms of wins, perhaps good for third place or better in the West, he has a shot.

Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

Rondo is not typically on most people's list of MVP candidates, but it could happen. The Celtics are clearly his team, and I love what they did this offseason. They had a strong draft in getting Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo. They added Jason Terry as a free agent, and Jeff Green and Avery Bradley will return from injury. Boston is going to contend in the East, and Rondo will be its engine.

To win the MVP award, he'll need to lead the Celtics to at least the second-best record in the East with a mark that is close to that of the Heat's. And he'll need to rack up several triple-doubles, lead the league in assists and score about 15 points a game, which would be a career-high. That's asking a lot, but if he can do it, he might be rewarded with the MVP award.

Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs

Parker was a legitimate candidate last season, even though most people never think of him as an MVP. Guess what? Most people don't think of him as a Hall of Famer either, but he will be. If Parker does what he did last season, that could be enough to get him the award. If voters don't want to give the award to James and the Spurs finish with a better record than the Thunder out West, should Parker be denied?

After all, with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in the twilight of their careers, Parker doesn't have teammates like Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, Gasol or Dwyane Wade helping him out. Don't get me wrong, Duncan and Ginobili are still very good, but if the Spurs run to the league's best mark again, Parker has to be given the lion's share of the credit -- and serious consideration for MVP.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

Bryant isn't likely to win the award. But he is coming off a historic individual season, so it would be a mistake not to include him on this list. You might have read this before, but it's worth repeating: In his 16th season, Bryant averaged 27.9 points a game. The previous best for a player in his 16th season or later was 23.4 points per game (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). The previous best for a guard was 14.8 ppg (Reggie Miller). What Bryant did was absolutely incredible.

If he can duplicate that performance by averaging around 25 points while shooting in the high-40s percentage-wise -- he must shoot less and more efficiently this season -- he has a shot at winning the MVP award. With Howard, the Lakers should challenge OKC for the best record in the West, and if Bryant is more efficient and just as productive offensively, perhaps the voters will see fit to put him atop their ballots.

Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks

For the bulk of his career, Melo hasn't been a strong defender nor has he made his teammates better. But he is tired of hearing that, and he is tired of watching James and other players to whom he feels equal earn all the laurels simply because their teams win. After being around James, Bryant Paul and others all summer at the Olympics, my guess is that we'll see an improved Melo this season.

In addition, a bull's-eye sits squarely on his chest. Deserved or not, Anthony is viewed as the guy who didn't want Jeremy Lin in New York. If the Knicks struggle this season, Anthony -- regardless of how many points he averages -- is going to take the blame. But if he can mesh with Amare Stoudemire, play solid defense for coach Mike Woodson and lead the Knicks to a top-three finish in the East, his reward could be grand.

Source

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

I could see Dwight coming close to winning it this season if his scoring goes up as much as I think it could with Nash getting him the ball. The one holding him back of that will probably be Kobe who will demand to get his fair share of touches. Right now I'd bet on Lebron winning it again this year. Durant will be in that mix too.

No one should be a threat, but if anyone is going to be (as a result of the damn media) it would be Durant. It will take a team winning 65 games, and putting up pretty incredible numbers to be LBJ. Especially when you consider that LBJ could very well improve this year, which I am sort of expecting, with his confidence probably at an all-time high now.

But really, no one is even close to his realm right now. Unless the Heat somehow implode, LBJ blows out his knee, or an LA team develops a time machine and pull 2006 Kobe/2009 Chris Paul out of it, I don't see how anyone could very well win it, or even be close. And rightfully so.

Until Durant shows me he can dominate, or at least impact the game on the defensive end, as well as facilitate consistently for others, I just can't put him in that conversation with LeBron. We all know he can drop buckets better than anyone in the world... but it takes more than that to be MVP. It will take damn near 70 wins for Durant to steal that MVP from LeBron.

Edited by Check my Stats