Orlando @ Miami

alcstarheel

• 4 months later...

Lol, Carter guards Q and he scores 8 points on him. Dorell comes in the game, and he scores 6 straight on Carter. Neither have scored above 20 in a game, yet they both combine for 14 in the first quarter.

Van Gundy REALLY needs to talk to Vince about his defense :lol:

Edited by Poe

This is how we need to play. Play defense, pass the ball, and score. NOT THAT HARD! We have all this talent and we throw it away by playing dumb, now we have to keep the lead, which we will probably give back at some point but you know what I mean.

The Magic have played lackadaisical defensively, and the Heat have taken advantage... kind of the reverse situation in Memphis.

Gundy will dig into his team by half time. This game may turn out closer towards the end. Hopefully the Heat won't relax too much and let this lead slip.

Edited by Poe

Well... So far, Wade has touched the blue a little today. At least he's only taken three jumpers, one managed to drop, and it was out of 10 total shot attempts. It was also after attacking the rim a bit, which is a good time to start shooting is after you establish a driving game. That's Wade's game. Keep it up.

Edited by Poe

I'm always trying to expand my knowledge of the game, and I consider myself a somewhat low spot right now so I'm going to start paying more attention to detail on each player individually. Today, I'm going to analyze my current fave player's game.

When playing the SF spot, Dorell is much like Trevor Ariza where he's learning to feed well off great playmakers, especially playing with D Wade. He's gaining good timing cutting to the basket, and doing a great job knocking down corner jumpers. The form on his shot looks fantastic.

Confidence is still an issue in his game, especially when handling the ball. The issue isn't that doesn't take good care of the ball, since he hardly ever turns over the ball. The problem is attacking the basket. He looked aggressive at first, but after some unsuccessful drives he started settling for contested jumpers due to indecisiveness with the ball in his hands. He needs to improve his change of speed and change of direction. He does do a great job keeping his head up, though, and usually spots the open man, though sometimes he'll pass out too quickly when nobody is actually open. I do like his willingness to be a ballmover, though.

Also, he needs to find a way to get himself to the foul line more. He's so athletic, so quick, and has a high percentage from the foul line. He's 80% for his career I think. He needs to look for contact more often.

One more issue in his game is that he needs to develop at least a somewhat decent post-up ability. For a guy who's 6-9, playing the SG position and being guarded by JJ Redick and Jason Williams on some occasions, he needs to take advantage and call for the ball in the post. His length alone would make those very easy baskets.

His hustle and battling on the boards were actually been close to spectacular today. Yet another 8 rebound performance in under 30 minutes. His defense does seem to need a bit of work, though. He does a good job staying in front, and his length can bother players, but he needs to do a better job keeping his hands up and cutting away the drive on close-outs. The only reason JJ was able to score on Dorell was his tendency to leave both hands on his sides. Most shooters in this league will recognize it. His length won't save him in every situation.

Overall, if he can develop a better driving game, post up game, and more overall confidence with the ball in his hands, he'll become a great player in this league. Easily a 20+ PPG scorer in the future just because of the major mismatches that he can create due to his versatility and athleticism.

Sorry for making a long post on a guy nobody cares about. I did it more for me than anyone else. Next time I'll analyze a guy like Beasley or Jermaine.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Wright's post up game won't take shape until his strength increases, or his build (probably both).

The similarities are there between the two (Ariza and Wright). Both are athletic, both hit open shots, and both are defensively talented due to their length, but I can't see either of them being an all-star in this league, nor a first or second option on a contender. Third option, most definitely...but Dorell is still raw in a few spots of his game, surprisingly, but that's because he doesn't get enough burn to improve as much as, say, Dwight Howard did (using someone out of his draft class).

Wright's post up game won't take shape until his strength increases, or his build (probably both).

The similarities are there between the two (Ariza and Wright). Both are athletic, both hit open shots, and both are defensively talented due to their length, but I can't see either of them being an all-star in this league, nor a first or second option on a contender. Third option, most definitely...but Dorell is still raw in a few spots of his game, surprisingly, but that's because he doesn't get enough burn to improve as much as, say, Dwight Howard did (using someone out of his draft class).

Yea but a guy who's 6'9'' with a 7 foot wingspan being guarded by a guy 6'4''? He's not the strongest guy in the world, but if he can establish low post position being head and shoulders over the guy guarding him, that's clearly a mismatch IMO. He's young and still has plenty of room to add more weapons to his game. He should develop a hookshot, turnaround jumper..... anything that can get him points when being guarded by a guy half his size.

Also, about the "burn" he's gotten... I consider him more of a sophomore than a 6 year vet. He's only played in just over 150 games by now, and a lot of that playing time was in garbage minutes. He still has a long way to go. Believe me, he still has a lot of potential, and I think he's much better than Ariza as an overall player, or at least by the end of this year he will be. Once he develops a better driving game, he'll take off.

Dorrell has much more potential than Ariza IMO. I think he has a lot more natural basketball ability than Ariza. Perfect example of his growth is when he sprinted back on defense and intercepted a pass and then flew right past every guy on Orlando's team and went in for a layup.

Perfect example of his growth is when he sprinted back on defense and intercepted a pass and then flew right past every guy on Orlando's team and went in for a layup.

Exactly. That's the Dorell we see when he forgets what being self-conscious mean, and plays purely through hustle and aggression. He needs to take a note from KG and bang his head on the wall or something.

BTW, last thing I'm going to say about Dorell before heading to bed.

DW1 will be an all star by next year if he went to a successful run-n-gun team. A team much like the Suns. First of all, Steve Nash and his amazing playmaking abilities will continually give Dorell open looks, maybe similar to what Nash did with Marion, and Dorell is proving to be a high percentage shooter from almost everywhere on the court when given open looks.

Also, Dorell is just dieing to run out there. The Heat don't run the break much, although they should, but D is just hustling after every rebound. He'd definitely benefit greatly playing for a run-n-gun style team. He'd definitely pick up to his full potential much quicker that way.

Come to think of it, I hope this idea doesn't hit Dorell's mind. Hopefully he isn't smart enough to go FA next year. I really want him to stay here on the Heat :P

Edited by Poe