LA Backs Deal For NFL Stadium

Sħãlïq™

L.A. backs deal for downtown NFL stadium

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles took a major step Friday toward building a downtown stadium to lure an NFL team back to the nation's second most populous city, despite questions about how a 72,000-seat venue in the city's urban core would impact notorious freeway traffic, nearby housing prices and air quality. The 12-0 vote by City Council came after starkly contrasting predictions about what the $1.5 billion project would mean for an economically troubled city that has fretted over the loss of professional football since the Raiders and Rams fled Southern California in 1994.

Supporters said the deal with developer Anschutz Entertainment Group would create thousands of jobs, a center of civic pride and new tax dollars for cash-starved City Hall, while critics warned that nearby housing prices would soar and traffic would come to a virtual standstill on game days.

''I know the result will be the return of economic vitality,'' Councilman Paul Koretz predicted.

The vote was overshadowed by the recent announcement that AEG was seeking a new owner, though company officials have assured City Hall the stadium plan will remain the same, even if the company changes hands. The biggest question about the stadium is the most obvious: There's no one to play in it. But Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and other supporters hope the agreement will eventually attract a team to one of the nation's most lucrative media markets.

Read More

Cool!! :rock:

The Jags is a good idea.

they'll fail even more in LA than they do in Jacksonville. The Jags have sold out every game for 3 straight years. They have a pretty faithful local fanbase. Moving them is as logical as moving any other small market team, and quite frankly, would make no sense since no one in LA would want to get behind them.

the Raiders belong in Oakland. everyone knows this, I don't know why you are acting surprised.

I was surprised you said 'No one wants the raiders in LA'.

Anyway, the city of Los Angeles needs an NFL franchise. To me it doesn't matter if it's the Raiders or not. L.A. not being in the NFL is a joke.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

I was surprised you said 'No one wants the raiders in LA'.

Anyway, the city of Los Angeles needs an NFL franchise. To me it doesn't matter if it's the Raiders or not. L.A. not being in the NFL is a joke.

No it's not. It's not like LA has never had an NFL team. They've had two and both failed

la isnt exactly a football city at least not from what i noticed. its a basketball city, everyone is a laker fan, and dodgers have strong support. other than that, usc has strong support for college football. nfl wise, most people already have their teams, whether it be the raiders, chargers, niners. i highly doubt people are going to switch over just because a random team is brought over to la. like Lkr said, its already been tried twice and failed. so i dont know why they are wasting their time for a third time. stupid idea.