Bargnani Bulking Up: Good or Bad?

Casey and others have mentioned that Bargnani added 15 pounds over the summer. Normally you like to see big men bulking up, especially ones who struggle with some of the more physical aspects of the game like Bargnani does.

However, is this necessarily a good thing for Bargnani? I think we can all agree that Bargs will never be a good rebounder. Nor is he ever going to be a bruiser down low.

So is it really better for him to continue to bulk up or would it be better if he were to stay around 245-250 pounds and focus more on getting leaner and quicker?

I guess at the end of the day all that really matters is if he can play like he did at the start of the year last year but is bulking up going to make that more likely or would focusing on being quicker and leaner make it more likely?

Casey and others have mentioned that Bargnani added 15 pounds over the summer. Normally you like to see big men bulking up, especially ones who struggle with some of the more physical aspects of the game like Bargnani does.

However, is this necessarily a good thing for Bargnani? I think we can all agree that Bargs will never be a good rebounder. Nor is he ever going to be a bruiser down low.

So is it really better for him to continue to bulk up or would it be better if he were to stay around 245-250 pounds and focus more on getting leaner and quicker?

I guess at the end of the day all that really matters is if he can play like he did at the start of the year last year but is bulking up going to make that more likely or would focusing on being quicker and leaner make it more likely?

Just wondering on a 7 foot frame is 15 pounds really that much ? Bargs has a thick body frame ( unlike Bosh ) and will never be asked to pose for Men's Health .

I think we;ll have to wait and see if this pays off. Hopefully it doesn't take away from his endurance. We're going to need him to be able to take the clutch shots in crunch time and if he gets tired easier then thats not good. Although like raptorgaetano said, 15 pounds probably will make a pretty minimal difference, especially on a guy who's 7 feet tall.

Just wondering on a 7 foot frame is 15 pounds really that much ? Bargs has a thick body frame ( unlike Bosh ) and will never be asked to pose for Men's Health .

It may not seem like a lot, and he will probably lose a fair amount of it throughout the course of the season, but now that he isn't expected to play center I'd like to see him trim down and have a frame more like his rookie and sophomore seasons.

Like I said before, Bargs will never be a banger and I truly think that he would be at his best if he were to focus on his quickness, especially since he spends so much time on the perimeter.

I remember watching him during the summer league after he was drafted and was blown away by his fluidity and quickness for a guy his size. Since he was asked to play center and get bigger, he doesn't have that same bounce. He still does have that advantage over most bigs in the league, but I think he should really look to maximize that because it is such a unique attribute for a player his size.

It'll be a good change to see, he will lose some speed however, that's the inevitable. However, this can allow him to use that high post more effectively.

Couldn't you argue that working on his quickness and fluidity be more advantagerous considering his playstyle and skill set?

After all, he usually likes to turn and face his man, utilize a pump fake and then take a few hard dribbles for a pull up jumper. I'd say quickness is more effective in that type of move than strength is.

After watching him in game action . I ask myself did he come into came bulked up 15 pounds or 15 pounds overweight ? He looked so rusty and had no jump in his legs .

Couldn't you argue that working on his quickness and fluidity be more advantagerous considering his playstyle and skill set?

After all, he usually likes to turn and face his man, utilize a pump fake and then take a few hard dribbles for a pull up jumper. I'd say quickness is more effective in that type of move than strength is.

That's true but you have to take into account now that he's been in the league for some time now and his offensive game is proven. The extra weight can only help on his primary focuses at this point in his career: defence and rebounding

That's true but you have to take into account now that he's been in the league for some time now and his offensive game is proven. The extra weight can only help on his primary focuses at this point in his career: defence and rebounding

Sure it is proven, but that doesn't mean that getting too big can't have a negative impact on him offensively.

His biggest advantage is his quickness and fluidity for a big man which enables him to take opposing bigs outside the paint and exploit them. If he his quickness advantage isn't as significant as it used to be, that is going to make it harder for him to get by his man and create seperation to get off his jumper.

Keep in mind that with Valanciunas on the team now, he isn't likely going to be guarded by opposing centers anymore. He will have power forwards guarding him much more frequently than he has in years past so that alone will nulify some of his athletic advantages and if the extra weight slows him down even more, it will hurt him.

As far as defense and rebounding go, Bargnani is what he is at this point. It doesn't matter if he bulks up to 300 pounds or slims down to 210 pounds. He is always going to be an attrocious help defender, adequate man defender and historically awful rebounder. That will never change so at this point I'd rather see him look to continue to build upon his strengths than sacrifice them for defense and rebounding. Defense and rebounding will simply never be something he is good at.

Aandrea Bargnani well rested and 15 pounds bulked up was the headline .. My question is ?

Is that a nice way of saying didn't train much and gained 15 pounds cause Andrea looked slow with no jump last night