So I've Been Thinking

Cobb

I'm going to code an affiliations page, also, so we can start those back up. Maybe we can gain members from that, and in the process, we may lose some guys that feel like there's a better site out there...but that probably works in our favor as much as it does any other place, essentially swapping disgruntled members.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't see anyone leaving this forum for another site either. Everyone for the most part loves it here.

Reid,

if you really think Slaven wasn't worth keeping around because in the last few years he brought nothing but racist attacks and baiting, then what the hell were you doing during his baiting spree in the Random thread, man? (No pun, and no offense intended. I just wanna know.) He was straight baiting and trolling, and you would stand right by his side, and spit at me posts like: 'only a bigoted loser would do this and that', and '> being a bigoted loser who (insert random text here)'.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Reid,

if you really think Slaven wasn't worth keeping around because in the last few years he brought nothing but racist attacks and baiting, then what the hell were you doing during his baiting spree in the Random thread, man? (No pun, and no offense intended. I just wanna know.) He was straight baiting and trolling, and you would stand right by his side, and spit at me posts like: 'only a bigoted loser would do this and that', and '> being a bigoted loser who (insert random text here)'.

He was correcting the manner in which you went about responding to him, if you respond to his baiting and trolling with ignorant statements, you are no better..

He was correcting the manner in which you went about responding to him, if you respond to his baiting and trolling with ignorant statements, you are no better..

Oh, so that's how he 'corrects the manner'? That's gotta be 'the best way ever'. Props!!

There was no need for him to 'correct' anyone's manner, especially mine. We had tried everything - yet Yugo wouldn't stop. What's worse -- it led to more participation, and we had 3-4 other guys liking classless remarks and even adding their own. It had gone outta control... So I was adviced to give Yugo a taste of his own poison:

The other half of the issue is simply people not liking what Shaliq is posting. Not my problem. (...)

A while back, I actually told Shaliq to roll with the punches, and give everyone a taste of their own medicine. Once I did, people started PM'ing me about it, or they were crying about it in the forums. How funny is that?

I know all of this was done because the staff was not cracking down on it (especially me). I know that for a fact. I also know that some of you realize it was not a good look for this site, but sadly, that didn't matter...and more of the same thing led to more participation, and now we have 2-3 other guys liking classless remarks and even adding their own. (...)

Discusshoops.com/forums/topic/30998

At least take that to PM or something guys.

Here's what happened when I took it to PM:

Just post in the thread, this all needs to be out in the open. And I wasn't talking about football btw

^ I don't care any more if you think it should be out... <_< No reason to be out there. SMH!

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

I think it's healthy for everything to be open to the members. You were told a billion times to ignore slaven. The rest of us didn't get all mad when he made fun of us. I told you to just stop, you make yourself look bad, but you decided to continue

I think it's healthy for everything to be open to the members. You were told a billion times to ignore slaven. The rest of us didn't get all mad when he made fun of us. I told you to just stop, you make yourself look bad, but you decided to continue

He barely ever made fun of anyone else but me...

Anyway, just leave it alone, man. Let it die. Why do you think I blocked you from PMing me... You're the one making himself look bad. Like I said - I didn't feel like posting in this thread any more. I took it to the PM system - You said how 'this all needs to be out in the open'. Thought you were right... I shouldn't have listened to you. <_<

Sorry this forum used to be a place where you could speak your mind, I'm just being honest on how I feel and giving input on why maybe we don't get new members, i don't get why we keep dismissing something that is an issue to the entire community, nvm I remember now, k i'll be quiet i forgot smh

No need to apologize. We're still http://i.imgur.com/XmTKf.png

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

There are still people out there that think this place is too strict, and they are [expletive]ing nuts if they believe that. I'm not sure what else they would want. I guess they are lucky they weren't around during our big boom, when we were super-strict, had a word filter, and had activity out the ass for years.

When exactly was this? I've been around since the summer of 2008, but don't remember anything like this. Then again, I wasn't nearly as active as I am now back then.

When exactly was this? I've been around since the summer of 2008, but don't remember anything like this. Then again, I wasn't nearly as active as I am now back then.

Mostly in 2007 - 'twas a pretty successful year for us. Pretty much from the beginning of the '06-'07 season till the 2009 disaster.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

He barely ever made fun of anyone else but me...

Anyway, just leave it alone, man. Let it die. Why do you think I blocked you from PMing me... You're the one making himself look bad. Like I said - I didn't feel like posting in this thread any more. I took it to the PM system - You said how 'this all needs to be out in the open'. Thought you were right... I shouldn't have listened to you. <_<

No need to apologize. We're still http://i.imgur.com/XmTKf.png

Lol so you PM me multiple times when I'm at school, have no chance to respond, and you block me? This and your post is just another example of you acting childish and it is annoying

i somewhat feel like we can't openly criticize or critique certain members. for example, if I call out fish for making what I see as an awful post, nothing bad happens, but if I call someone else out, it feels like it leads to warnings and suspensions. i feel that the community can't grow if we can't criticize each other.

as for threads like random thoughts or the us soccer thread, i'm fine with those since it is news and random shit being posted in there and not having a million threads that it seems not many people care about. there are quite a few guys that have posted in soccer threads in the past though when active.

activity for the sake of activity is never good. i don't have the bft-level knowledge of the game, so I tend not to respond to his posts a lot, mainly because i feel like i'll look like an idiot. however when posting an article, it is probably good to leave your thoughts in there too if you have any, rather than just posting random stories for the hell of it. if it is big news, like say lebron out for season with injury, then yeah, you really don't need to add much to it because everyone knows what that would mean. if it is something like backup PG out for a month, then post what you feel will happen to the team in that span. if you are making a thread to poll a community on a topic, don't do something very obscure without providing much insight, unless you are asking a general question, and then why include a poll or ask a very vague question in the first place?

furthermore, i don't see the point in responding to a post saying agreed, +1, etc. if you have nothing to add, why post? the rep button is there, hit that. this especially becomes frustrating when someone like bft will post a 5 page essay on a topic, someone will quote it, and say "yep, i agree with that, took the words from my mouth". ok, first of all, you were never going to write, and are probably not capable of writing prose like BFT. second, what does that add? if you agree with him and have nothing else to add, rep him, or quote him and expand or question some of his ideas. but if he says something that is common knowledge or backups up his reasoning, don't ask a dumb question, because then that becomes frustrating for the person that posted it in the first place.

finally, everyone needs to stop the goddamn bickering. just be open to criticism. we all can obviously get along, and have been doing so for years. i see no reason to constantly bring up stupid shit ecn has said in the past in every thread. there is a time and place for some of it, but keep it out of every damn thread.

random notes:

we don't need two fantasy basketball leagues when we can't fill up one as it is

the fantasy football debacle was stupid, and both sides need to quit being assholes

why join a pickem league or fantasy league for a sport you know nothing about, it just ruins it for the rest of the competitors

don't go into a board/thread about a sport you don't understand and start making posts, unless you seriously want to understand. i see no reason for brandon to go into the maple leafs general thread and start talking about how player xy is going to make a huge impact when he doesn't know what icing is.

there are also certain members i'd like to publicly call out for having the balls to put up with shit:

flash

srv

any other heat fan

you guys put up with more shit posting than any other fanbase at the moment, and you don't hold grudges.

+1

• Like 4

First off I obviously don't have much say in what happens on this site, I'm only here to post in the Magic forum because I've seen this place slowly go on the decline, I don't wanna see this place go so many other forums have stemmed from this original the whole basketball world isn't gonna be the same. I figured this is the least I can do. Plus for most part I enjoy posting about the Magic, so it's cool.

One thing I've found that sticks constant with forums is when there's threads people will post, more threads means more posts. Sounds obvious but it always works.

Recruiting is something that rarely ever works. Built Ford Tough can vouch this, recruiting off youtube and other social networks are hard now because of Twitter. Which is a shame, only new members that come now are either from google and networking between friends.

Also if users have problems with others just use the ignore list cannot stress it enough, half the users on my own site didn't even know we had one before I told them. It's slowed down the flaming and consistent bashing between members.

I really feel like the quality of posting has gone downhill recently. Alot of times new topics are put up or preexisting threads are just filled with unnecessary material. Lkr already hinted at a couple things that are holding this place back. For one, if you have nothing constructive to add to a thread then stay out of it it's as simple as that. I'm not going to signal out certain members, but they know who they are. Don't just spam topics just for the sake of activity.

Secondly, quoting members just to say I agree is just pointless. There's a reason why the rep system has been put up. Utilize it and reduce unnecessary spamming. I really don't think anyone here cares about their post count, so this isn't something that should trouble anyone.

Also just avoid posting topics that you know will generate no activity. For example, posting a topic about the "most overrated Serbian player ever" will obviously get no replies because let's be honest no one cares. I would much rather just stick to posting topics that are more relevant today, or more mainstream to that particular sport.

And for the record I don't hate anyone. It's a internet forum for gods sake. I just get annoyed by certain members and they know who they are. As long as they can change their habits I'll have no problem getting along with them.

First off I obviously don't have much say in what happens on this site, I'm only here to post in the Magic forum because I've seen this place slowly go on the decline, I don't wanna see this place go so many other forums have stemmed from this original the whole basketball world isn't gonna be the same. I figured this is the least I can do. Plus for most part I enjoy posting about the Magic, so it's cool.

One thing I've found that sticks constant with forums is when there's threads people will post, more threads means more posts. Sounds obvious but it always works.

Recruiting is something that rarely ever works. Built Ford Tough can vouch this, recruiting off youtube and other social networks are hard now because of Twitter. Which is a shame, only new members that come now are either from google and networking between friends.

Also if users have problems with others just use the ignore list cannot stress it enough, half the users on my own site didn't even know we had one before I told them. It's slowed down the flaming and consistent bashing between members.

You do have a say though, and that is the point of this thread. Seriously, if you have any issues with the board, post them in this thread so we can all address it. If I really piss someone off when I do something, you have to let me know, otherwise I don't know. Same goes for other members pissing you off

You do have a say though, and that is the point of this thread. Seriously, if you have any issues with the board, post them in this thread so we can all address it. If I really piss someone off when I do something, you have to let me know, otherwise I don't know. Same goes for other members pissing you off

I'm not on this board frequently enough to have a problem with guys, from what I've seen in the Magic forum things are fine. But there's always tension within the memberbase of all forums.

The constant nut-hugging and dick riding is just as bad as the trolling racism to me...

This.....X100

It's actually a bigger issue than most think. Members need to stop encouraging others when they know they're wrong. Everybody knows who they are so I don't think I need to call them out.

I agree with the useless topic thing. I read all the recent topics on the right hand side and when I feel like I have nothing to contribute, I don't click it. This is where some problems arise as well. People will click those useless topics and start a debate for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. You won't ever stop people from arguing because everyone has a different opinion and personality, but everyone here knows other members limits by now. Like I am the kind of guy that avoids arguments because I have never in my life been good at comebacks and I generally don't like getting into them. There are people here than get into arguments and don't know when to end it.

As far as recruiting goes, I'm going to pitch AboveLegit's idea from a couple of weeks ago because I honestly think that it could help somewhat. Instead of using the Twitter account to just post news that is typically a bit late compared to several sites, why not have a top poster (or Real Deal himself) take over and tweet opinions and shit? Honestly think the account could be a whole lot more successful if it wasn't run by a bot and did more than tweet outdated information.

Posting with you guys is all fine and dandy but imo we badly need to get some new blood in here. Also would help if new members would actually...well, feel welcomed here.

• Owner

As far as Twitter goes, I've been pretty active on it all day long, but we only had 250 followers this morning. I'm up to nearly 300, but that's just from following about 200-300 people and hoping they follow back. Asked a question, made some statements, replied to some people...we'll see how it goes, I guess.