Indiana at Washington

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img21063217.jpg

WASHINGTON -- After his Washington Wizards, the only winless team in the NBA, dropped to a franchise-worst 0-9, coach Randy Wittman sat down for his postgame news conference, sighed loudly, took a sip of water and glanced at the stat sheet.

Wittman chose various ways to try to explain the Wizards' problems Monday night during a 96-89 loss to the Indiana Pacers, then tried to stand up -- somewhat -- for his players.

"I believe these guys can win," Wittman said. "I don't have any doubts. ... I come in here every day, thinking this is the night. I feel good."

Then he chuckled a bit, paused, and delivered the punch line: "I might be dumb."

There were boos from an announced crowd of 14,426 early as Washington fell behind 26-7, and again at the end, when the Pacers took what had become a one-point game and closed with a 10-4 run.

David West scored 13 of his season-high 30 points in the fourth quarter, while Roy Hibbert broke out of a slump with 20 points and 12 rebounds after getting a phone call at 11:30 p.m. the night before from Pacers coach Frank Vogel.

"He's always been supportive, and I appreciated the call," said Hibbert, whose mother yelled encouragement from her seat near the court. "He just expressed his support and care for me."

Hibbert, who played college home games for Georgetown at the Wizards' arena, scored in single digits in seven of the season's first 11 games, including only six points on 3-of-10 shooting in Indiana's 88-76 loss at the New York Knicks on Sunday.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121119_IND@WAS