Denver at Memphis

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img21065127.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Danilo Gallinari had suffered through an inconsistent shooting touch early this season, but he got untracked to help Denver end the Memphis Grizzlies' eight-game winning streak.

Gallinari scored a season-high 26 points, including a 3-pointer with 13 seconds left, and the Nuggets handed the Grizzlies only their second loss of the season with a 97-92 victory Monday night.

Gallinari entered the game shooting 34 percent from the field and 21 percent from outside the arc. He finished the night 7 of 15 from the field and 2 of 6 from long range. Gallinari's late 3-pointer came as Memphis had surrendered a lead in the final minutes. The shot from the wing, set up by a pass from point guard Ty Lawson, put the Nuggets up 96-92.

"I was just trying to be aggressive," Gallinari said. "That's what coach [George Karl] wants me to do in order to get to the free throw line. I was just trying to do that."

As for the 3-poiner that put the Grizzlies away, Gallinari said they ran a high pick-and-roll with him and Lawson, knowing the Grizzlies would have to pick one of them to guard. He was left open for the shot.

"I wasn't thinking about the shot before I got the ball," Gallinari said. "I was just reading the defense. The defense was not there. I was open, and when you are aggressive mentally, you don't think too much, you just follow your instinct. That was my thought."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121119_DEN@MEM