New York at Indiana

Real Deal

• 3 months later...
  • Owner

If the Pacers weren't one of the worst teams in the NBA scoring the ball, they would be one of the better "non-all star teams" we've seen in decades.

I'd love to see this team with Rajon Rondo playing PG for this team, though. I think they could contend with him on the roster.

• Owner

Charles Barkley is such a troll. No way are the Pacers, Bulls, and Nets bigger threats than the Knicks.

I didn't hear what he said...but is he talking about the Bulls with Rose? Without him, no.

Nets...no way.

BUT the Pacers? I don't know. They are so good defensively, you'd have to consider them a threat out East.

Take this in: among all teams in NBA history, according to opponent FG%, the Pacers are in the top ten. They not only have the best defense in the NBA this season, but one could argue they have the best defense we've seen since the 2004 Pistons.

I didn't hear what he said...but is he talking about the Bulls with Rose? Without him, no.

Nets...no way.

BUT the Pacers? I don't know. They are so good defensively, you'd have to consider them a threat out East.

Take this in: among all teams in NBA history, according to opponent FG%, the Pacers are in the top ten. They not only have the best defense in the NBA this season, but one could argue they have the best defense we've seen since the 2004 Pistons.

That little tid bit on the Pacers is pretty interesting. I didn't realize they were playing at a historic level. I don't know how much value your statement holds though. When I think of dominant defenses, I think of defensive anchors and team discipline. Ben Wallace was the anchor for the Pistons, but even Sheed and Prince were All-NBA Defense worthy and you could actually make a case for Chauncey as well.

I haven't watched a whole lot of Hibbert, but he doesn't seem like the anchor that people have made him out to be. He possesses unbelievable length but he's really slow laterally and not very athletic. Which is basically the complete opposite of Ben Wallace. They have strong perimeter defenders but we all saw that wasn't enough against Wade and Lebron in the postseason.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while Vogel has done an excellent job getting them to play team defense, they just don't have enough individual talent or an anchor like the Pistons did for me to give them a chance in the East. I cant look at their roster and point out a gamechanger.

One of the problems that Indiana ran into last year was their inability to get their bigs involved offensively and take advantage of their size. This season Hibbert has taken a step back, and David West is the same West we've seen the last couple seasons. Nothing special. I just don't see how they're going to make noise when they become so perimeter oriented. Knicks and Heat can get away with it because they shoot so well from the perimeter and they have superstars that can make compensate for that.

The way I see it there are only two contenders in the East, Miami and New York. I wouldn't give any other team a chance. I would put Indiana and Chicago in the second tier, and the Nets in the third.

Edited by Simba

• Owner

I was rooting for the Pacers, also.

The site was better without him? The post count didn't reflect that. We were less active when he was suspended.

If he was truly the problem, I'd think everyone would have picked up their activity, but that wasn't the case...at all.

How is the site better?

• Like 1

I was rooting for the Pacers, also.

The site was better without him? The post count didn't reflect that. We were less active when he was suspended.

If he was truly the problem, I'd think everyone would have picked up their activity, but that wasn't the case...at all.

How is the site better?

I don't like the Lakers, you don't see me going into Lakers threads and posting "Go [insert team name]" unnecessary baiting.

Post count, is that how we judge the quality of this site? Post count has been a problem for 2 years, not gonna change, we aren't random forums who thrive off post count, we are forum that thrives off the quality members who keep coming back despite the lack of activity.

How is the site better? I'm sorry I won't answer rhetorical questions, ask just about any member not a on foreign IP they'll give you a straight up answer.

Worst part is, I even like the guy, just don't like his conduct. n

• Like 1

Knicks didn't have Melo, but people need to realize that Indiana lost one of its key players in Danny Granger, and overcame a rough start to the season, to now be in the top tier of the East. Pretty damn impressive.

I think Melo means more to his team than Granger does, if we're comparing the two. Also without a starting PG.

• Owner

I don't like the Lakers, you don't see me going into Lakers threads and posting "Go [insert team name]" unnecessary baiting.

Why would I care? I know you don't like the Lakers. If you want to root for a particular team, that's fine.

Pretty sure you would've busted his ass, and shoved it in his face, if the Knicks had actually won tonight. I've been here longer than anyone, so I know everyone's tendencies.

Post count, is that how we judge the quality of this site? Post count has been a problem for 2 years, not gonna change, we aren't random forums who thrive off post count, we are forum that thrives off the quality members who keep coming back despite the lack of activity.

Post count is part of how we judge the site's overall success. We don't have any new members because nobody wants to come to a dead site. Is this correct? It is.

Most who I've talked to don't even know who Shaliq is. Instead, they want to stick around and post at another site, usually one that is much more active.

So post count doesn't matter? I beg to differ. I've ran the site for eight years, and I've seen 400+ activity logs. If anyone knows what's great, and what's wrong, it's me.

How is the site better? I'm sorry I won't answer rhetorical questions, ask just about any member not a on foreign IP they'll give you a straight up answer.

Nobody is qualified to answer the question, aside from me...let's be real. I'm simply asking for your opinion. The FACT is, the issue with OTR lies in this community not being willing to welcome in new members (this used to be a problem with new Lakers fans, still may be), and because this place has "cliques" that basically only want to talk sports with each other...it isolates others looking in, and nobody new wants that.

Worst part is, I even like the guy, just don't like his conduct.

There are a LOT of members here who need to work on their conduct. For almost all of you, I'm just throwing my hands up and looking away, because the majority of those who like to stir up trouble every week are never going to change, and quite frankly, banning 2-3 members would be like shutting down the NFL forum these days.

If things are much better when he's gone, why wasn't it proven? There was absolutely NOTHING changed, at all...well, aside from less posts, me having to go post CBS articles in almost every game topic before I move them (and I still do), me never having to approve new registered members (who you guys assume are him, but aren't....and I'm pretty sure I'd know), etc.

It's all talk. That's it. He posts a picture of something in off-topic, and it gets made fun of...when it doesn't offend a SINGLE PERSON on this site. He posts a drawing, and a 2-3 page conversation is created over something that doesn't matter...at all...to anyone here aside from him.

When we had that female Orlando Magic fan posting here, posting in every Gameday topic who she was rooting for (in team colors), were you guys calling her a troll? Nope. You just thought she was acting like a bandwagoner, and a female in general.

Cobb came into one of the topics about the Lakers or Clippers, and said he hopes the Clippers get their ass beat in the first round. Was he trolling? I don't think so.

http://www.discusshoops.com/forums/topic/33692-how-many-games-will-the-lakers-win/page__view__findpost__p__373146

Why didn't you go in there and call him a troll?

• Like 1

One of the first times I've seen pacers defense In action. Im pretty jealous. Knicks had to work for every shot. Jr was able to make some pretty tough shots with Paul George on him though. I'm also impressed by how easily pacers are able to dictate the pace.

@Fish I love you, fish sticks... but you need to be less biased, man. Have a glance at what I bolded and think about it:

(...) Most who I've talked to don't even know who Shaliq is. Instead, they want to stick around and post at another site, usually one that is much more active.

Nobody is qualified to answer the question, aside from me...let's be real. I'm simply asking for your opinion. The FACT is, the issue with OTR lies in this community not being willing to welcome in new members (this used to be a problem with new Lakers fans, still may be), and because this place has "cliques" that basically only want to talk sports with each other...it isolates others looking in, and nobody new wants that.

There are a LOT of members here who need to work on their conduct. For almost all of you, I'm just throwing my hands up and looking away, because the majority of those who like to stir up trouble every week are never going to change, and quite frankly, banning 2-3 members would be like shutting down the NFL forum these days.

If things are much better when he's gone, why wasn't it proven? There was absolutely NOTHING changed, at all...well, aside from less posts, me having to go post CBS articles in almost every game topic before I move them (and I still do), me never having to approve new registered members (who you guys assume are him, but aren't....and I'm pretty sure I'd know), etc.

It's all talk. That's it. He posts a picture of something in off-topic, and it gets made fun of...when it doesn't offend a SINGLE PERSON on this site. He posts a drawing, and a 2-3 page conversation is created over something that doesn't matter...at all...to anyone here aside from him.

When we had that female Orlando Magic fan posting here, posting in every Gameday topic who she was rooting for (in team colors), were you guys calling her a troll? Nope. You just thought she was acting like a bandwagoner, and a female in general.

Cobb came into one of the topics about the Lakers or Clippers, and said he hopes the Clippers get their ass beat in the first round. Was he trolling? I don't think so.

http://www.discusshoops.com/forums/topic/33692-how-many-games-will-the-lakers-win/

Why didn't you go in there and call him a troll?

Oh, and one more thing -- I'm not the one trolling here, bro. I just root for whoever I want to.

On a side note -- the Pacers' D gave me a joygasm last night!! Great overall effort by Paul George, posting 24 points, 11 rebounds, six steals and five assists! :rock:

Edited by Sħãlïq

with the knicks losing Camby for most likely at least a few weeks, they really have no choice but to sign kenyon martin. amar'e stoudemire is awful at this point, let's just be honest. the guy just no longer has it. kurt thomas playing extended minutes is a joke. the team is terrible to watch without carmelo anthony and raymond felton, i can't want until felton is back, it's killing me lol

they should just cut james white with shumpert on his way back. they don't even give the guy a chance anyway. he should've played last night.

@Fish I love you, fish sticks... but you need to be less biased, man. Have a glance at what I bolded and think about it:

Oh, and one more thing -- I'm not the one trolling here, bro. I just root for whoever I want to.

On a side note -- the Pacers' D gave me a joygasm last night!! Great overall effort by Paul George, posting 24 points, 11 rebounds, six steals and five assists! :rock:

On my holy shit just stop

Didn't get around to viewing this thread till now..but I will say one thing.

Quite a few of y'all need to hop off Shaliq's cock already. Its really annoying to read and it makes me not want to visit the site as much anymore. Seriously, freaking let it go.

He's not breaking the rules or offending anybody.

• Like 1

Didn't get around to viewing this thread till now..but I will say one thing.

Quite a few of y'all need to hop off Shaliq's cock already. Its really annoying to read and it makes me not want to visit the site as much anymore. Seriously, freaking let it go.

He's not breaking the rules or offending anybody.

I'm sure numerous amounts of people can attest to that when it comes to some of his posts.

• Like 2

• Owner

There are a handful of members who have already left because I've been very kind to a few of our jackasses over the years...since we're all being honest. Straight-up jackasses that don't deserve an account here, that spend more time mocking others than actually contributing.

Some of those members were more dedicated than almost anyone here. One was an admin. Some were writers and graphics guys. None of them left because of Shaliq...and none of them had problems with Shaliq.

THAT is when the community started to fall apart, and this entire staff (who are staff members for the way they conduct themselves, and they have been here for quite some time now) knows exactly what I'm talking about.

In fact, in eight years...there has not been a single staff dispute on this website. Eight. Ask any staff member. When it comes to the way things are handled here, any decisions that are made, any rules, the way a member is treated, this staff has never had a dispute. Why? Because the staff members here are selected for how they present themselves, how they respect others, how they avoid issues.

More truth: the Lakers site I run, the one I put up in June or July of 2008...it had a similar problem. I wiped out about 10 dedicated members who became too "buddy buddy" with each other, who thought they could run around and say what they wanted (and get away with it) because they were all from LA and friends with the owners of the website. They were racking up a ton of posts per day. Tossed aside. What happened? They were replaced, and quickly, and now, we are pretty damn active.

Here, I played the game differently. I made far, far too many attempts to keep people here, and it was by far the most ignorant thing I've ever done for this site. It led to where we are today, and that's all on me for making such a detrimental mistake. For these people who I should have booted, I...

1) dropped the word filter, which allowed them to run their big ass mouths even more

2) ignored the small jabs they were getting away with saying to other members, because those other members didn't find time to come and complain

3) erased IP and member bans, all of them, one day...and allowed anyone to return

4) changed "baiting" to "excessive baiting" in regards to what isn't allowed...and eventually got rid of the entire guideline, just so we could have more trash-talking

5) stopped using the warning system and decided to give out verbals, not keep track of anything, and let major offenses be the reason for suspension

MISTAKE. Huge mistake.

I'm strongly considering shutting the board down for an extended amount of time, keeping in contact with everyone who I want as a returning member (personally), and then opening it all back up with a major upgrade (software upgrade, which was going to be done last month) and a brand new skin...work that I will only do when I feel this place will be appreciated again. We just lost another shot at 20-25 members moving here for a sim league, and I don't have to guess why this happened.

As of yesterday, the Referral System is done. The Video System is done. Nobody gave a damn about them, so there's no point. I've removed the donations section, because I'm done accepting them. The small text ad that only guests could see, that was helping pay for the hosting...is gone.

Also, the betting system I had in place, once the board was upgraded, is deleted.

Same with the new Member Team modification, since it would lead to nothing but trouble.

Ah, and the suggestion that I heard about...that I'm being out-worked by another site owner and it's the biggest reason we're in the gutter...I skinned this site from scratch, with 30 team banners and 30 color-coded team forums, new team rep icons, all in less than 24 hours during a day I worked for 10 before sitting down to do all of it. Also, the day I decided to put this site back up, after the hack...I installed the board, skinned it from scratch, designed banners, team avatars, found a new host, AND designed a simple home page in a little over 24 hours. I'm lazy? Nah, I'm tired of doing it for nothing.

I don't think I've ever been this disappointed with this place, and I know for a fact that the staff feels the same...and the absolute last thing that will happen is me losing staff members over this bullshit, real talk. I'm sure they are tired of babysitting without me paying any of them, and I'm sure sick and tired of eight years of work being sucked down the drain.

We used to take pride in being the site up for eight long years, being able to name many sites who have went up and ran into a brick wall as we stood pat. Now, we can call ourselves one of those sites. Thanks.

• Like 1

(...) Ah, and the suggestion that I heard about...that I'm being out-worked by another site owner and it's the biggest reason we're in the gutter...I skinned this site from scratch, with 30 team banners and 30 color-coded team forums, new team rep icons, all in less than 24 hours during a day I worked for 10 before sitting down to do all of it. Also, the day I decided to put this site back up, after the hack...I installed the board, skinned it from scratch, designed banners, team avatars, found a new host, AND designed a simple home page in a little over 24 hours. I'm lazy? Nah, I'm tired of doing it for nothing. (...)

^ Everything you said left me speechless and sad but that one paragraph kinda shocked me the most. Who the hell would say something that ignorant?!! Who'd call you 'lazy'?! :huh: SMHFML.... <_<