D-Will: Cuban wasn't around to answer my questions

Sħãlïq™

D-Will: Mark Cuban wasn't around to answer my questions

The Nets were never contestants on “Shark Tank,” but they came out the big winners of Mark Cuban’s game show. Deron Williams revealed Monday that Cuban’s absence from his free-agent meeting in July helped clinch his decision to reject the Mavericks and re-sign with the Nets. Cuban, who cut payroll and gutted a championship team to chase Williams in free agency, was reportedly in California at the time taping an episode of “Shark Tank.”

“Of course (Cuban’s absence had an effect),” Williams said. “My top four when I was coming out of high school was Illinois, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Maryland. “Maryland told me they wanted me to come on a visit but Gary Williams wouldn’t be there. So I told them, ‘It’s okay. I’d rather not go.’ So that was that. It’s similar.”

Williams still met in New York with Mavs coach Rick Carlisle and GM Donnie Nelson, but said Monday that a lot of his questions went unanswered. The Nets, meanwhile, were updating Williams on their plans and goals for 1 ½ years, before reaching a deal for Joe Johnson and revealing the news to Williams hours after he met with Dallas. About a month earlier, Williams flew to Turkey and Russia for a vacation and spoke with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.

“I think (Cuban) would have been able to answer a lot of the questions me and my agent have for him that really didn’t get answered that day pertaining to the future,” Williams said. “And I think if he was there he would have been able to answer those questions a little bit better. It maybe would have helped me.

Read More