How Much Does Indiana Being a Small Market Hurt Their Hype?

When talkinga bout the East the Heat are at the forefront and they are followed by the Celtics, and rightfully so. They are the two best teams in the East and I don't really think there is a whole lot of debate about that (excluding a Rose-less Bulls, of course).

However, after that you seem to hear the most about the Knicks, Nets or even the Sixers as potential darkhorse teams in the East. Yet you very rarely hear anybody talking about the Pacers despite the fact that they were one of the best teams in the East last season, didn't lose any major piece and have the potential growth of Paul George as well as a healthy David West to improve their team. I'd argue that they are deeper this year than they were last with the additions of Gerald Green, DJ Augustin and Ian Mahinmi

So why exactly is nobody talking about the Pacers? Is it the fact that they didn't make any major additions over the summer? Is it the lack of sexy names on the roster? Is it the fact that the Pacers are a small market?

Or are they just too much of a "known commodity" at this point? People know they are good, but don't think they truly have what it takes to be a darkhorse team in the East?

Another question I have for you all is what kind of reception or hype do you think this team would get if they switched cities with the Knicks or the Nets? If the Pacers were in New York and one of those teams were in Indiana how do you think each team would be viewed?

I fail to see any significant reason besides the market. If they were in a big city setting, it wouldn't really matter that they didn't make any major changes. The team would have no problem cooking up excitement after a pretty successful campaign in last year's playoffs. But it's hard to get recognized in Indiana when you have the team that's been formed in L.A., an improved Miami roster, and this Nets-Knicks rivalry intensifying.

Also, on a local level, one has to wonder whether this is still being felt (long-term effects of the incident are explained near the end of this article, if I remember correctly).

• Owner

Well, the market has a lot to do with it, but let me ask this: who sounds more interesting to watch (as a neutral NBA fan): Carmelo and Amare, or Granger and George? The Pacers could be the better team, but the Knicks have the star power + the fact that they are in New York, and people come to play in MSG.

Want proof? The Pacers were hot back when Reggie Miller was there, and they were legitimate rivals with the Knicks.

Today, neither of that exists. Granger doesn't have that star power, and while we did see a heated series against the Heat (no pun intended...or maybe so), it just wasn't what we saw with Reggie and Spike's Knicks.

I know a lot of older fans (even older than me) like to say that basketball wasn't what it used to be, that it's more about the superstars now than ever before...but that's not entirely true. The 80's Lakers were called Showtime for a reason. Jordan was a huge celebrity, and Barkley decided to tell everyone he was not a role model. That's how teams, and players, gained attention...and yes, they were also very good at the game of basketball, but it's really no different than it is today. The Miami Heat is a good team, and with three star players. Meanwhile, the Denver Nuggets can't provide you with any all-stars (yet), are in Denver, but they could win 50 games and possibly upset a team in the first round.

Stick this team in New York, and you'll see more articles written about them, and more fans responding to their play. Would it be a good thing? I don't know. Granger is no Melo, and ultimately, the New York crowd would wonder why he isn't out the door yet (you have to have more patience with a franchise player), but again...that makes the news, and that draws interest.

Reggie/Smits against Ewing and the Knicks in the playoffs is my first real memories of following basketball. Awesome stuff.

The Pacers aren't talked about because they aren't sexy in any way. No big names, no star power, and their play isn't exciting. They simply have a bunch of guys who fit well together.