Do the Raptors Have an Allstar?

Raptors at Allstar Weekend  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious to see who you guys think from the Raptors will make the allstar game, if any.

If I was being realistic I'd probably say no one. Although I do remember at one point last year Barg was playing well enough that he could have possibly made the allstar game before his injury. Derozan would really have to make a HUGE leap but he's still a possibility. Lowry is probably our best overall player, but he's got the competition of Rondo, Irving, DWill, Wall, etc. so that most likely won't happen.

You can also post if you think anyone on the team will be selected for the 3 point shootout, dunk contest, skills comp, etc.

Not yet, but that doesn't mean they can't be good. Teams like Utah, Houston and Milwaukee, and more have been competitive and in the 8 seed race the past couple years without having a guaranteed annual all-star.

I think DeRozan and Lowry still have time to develop into all-stars. The three rookies obviously have a chance but I haven't seen enough of them.

I said Jonas will make the Rook/Soph game but Ross should make it too.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

I would have have to agree and say no one.

Do the Raptors have player that can be all stars statically? Yes I think both Lowry and Bargs will have the numbers to be an allstar but as well all have seen in the past (monte, DWill, ect) only numbers don't make it happen. For anyone on the Raptors squad to become an allstar would require to team as a whole to be killing record wise, and I mean well over .500 and that I don't see happening.

And when it comes to Derozan, I don't think he will ever be an allstar. Yes he's young and shows potential but his play just doesn't seem to be evolving. IMO I think he will never be more than a third option on a good team.

Lowry could be in that mix (wouldn't bet on it). I really don't see Bargs there, and unless Wade and Joe Johnson both tear their ACL's and Demar scores 20+ a night on efficient numbers, he won't even be close.

In terms of rookies, I think they could both be in the mix. I would honestly probably bet right now on neither of them, just because there are other rookies who are going to get a lot more minutes (probably) than them... they will probably both be around 20 minutes or less, and you probably aren't going to get the necessary numbers to make the team. Think Demar in his rookie year when he didn't make the team.

Nobody has a realistic shot.

Lowry is the best player on the team, but he simply has way too much competition. I think he will be very good for Toronto, but he is not going to beat out the likes of Rondo, Williams, Wade, Johnson and Irving. Maybe if Irving has a sophomore slump and Lowry puts up something like 18/6/8 he will make it, but I don't see either of those things happening.

Bargnani doesn't have as much competition, especially if he is considered a center, but I don't think he can get back to that 13 game form we saw at the start of the season, and even if he can, I don't think he can sustain it over 50 games. I'd say that he is the most likely Raptor simply because Bynum may be injured and his competition (again, assuming he is considered a center on the ballot) would be Lopez and Hibbert. Both would likely get the nod over him, but it isn't that unrealistic to think he could beat out one of them.

DeRozan has no chance unless he takes a quantam leap forward in his all-around game. Even if he averages 20 a game on good percentages, like Lowry, there is just too much competition for guards in the East. He would need to average 20 and also chip in with around 5 boards and 3 assists but that is very, very unlikely.

The only real chance the Raptors have at having somebody in the All-Star game is if they surprise everybody out of the gate and are sitting in 5th or 6th in the East. Then they may get that "best player on a surprise team" All-Star selection.

As for the rookie game, I doubt Ross makes it but Valanciunas has a chance depending on the minutes he gets. If the preseason is any indication, I'd say that Valanciunas will defintely be in the rookie game, but I'd be fairly surprised if he goes 11/8 for the season. If I had to pick one player who is the most likely to represent the Raptors during All-Star Weekend, it would be Valanciunas, though.