Kings unlikely to give Tyreke Evans an extension

Real Deal

• Owner
Evans has shown flashes in his first three seasons, but not enough to pique Sacramento's interest to give him a deal. The Kings will "probably not" be offering an extension, a source says. NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/2...2009/index.html

CMS brought him up, and minutes later, I find this article, haha.

I'm not surprised, honestly. Evans will want more money than Sactown is willing to give, anyway...but I doubt they want him as it stands, unless he takes a VERY cheap extension.

Some team out there will over pay him. I'm kind of surprised its not the Kings.

Shouldn't be much of a surprise considering how broke the Kings are.

Also, the days of players signing extentions and forgoing free agency off of their rookie contracts seem to be coming to an end.

How many members of the class of 08 signed extensions prior to free agency? Off the top of my head the only players I can think of are Rose, Westbrook, Love, Gallinari and Hill. The class of 07 only had 5 (Durant, Horford, Noah, Conley and Dudley).

It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a lot of these young players to sign extensions. Obviously some guys are no brainers, such as Durant, Love, Rose, Griffin, Westbrook etc... since they are getting a max deal no matter what. You are better off just letting yourself become an RFA and see what the market is like unless you are offered a very nice extension, which was the case for Gallinari, Hill and Conley.

From a team standpoint, you are also probably just as well off to let them become an RFA. Sure you run the risk of somebody throwing a stupid offer at the player but if you already know that you are going to match anything (like the Pacers with Hibbert) why not let him become an RFA and have the chance of getting him for cheaper than what an extension would cost?

Unless you are already a bonafide star, I think the days of seeing players sign extensions off of their rookie contracts are coming to a close.