Board upgrade and possibly new skin

Real Deal

• Owner

I'm considering the board upgrade (to the newest version), and if I do that, I'll have to design a new skin.

The skin won't change TOO much, but even if it does, I want to keep the current banners.

Would you guys prefer a fixed width on the board, or fluid (one that stretches across the page)?

I may have to alter the banners a little, if we go with a fluid width...but I'm sure I can come up with something.

• Like 1

• Owner

Haha, were you serious about the fluid width, or cracking a joke and being different?

I actually like fluid width, also...both are fine to me. I would much rather design the website portion as fixed, though, but I'm willing to adjust according to what you guys prefer with the message board, since the forums are the most important.

Haha, were you serious about the fluid width, or cracking a joke and being different?

I actually like fluid width, also...both are fine to me. I would much rather design the website portion as fixed, though, but I'm willing to adjust according to what you guys prefer with the message board, since the forums are the most important.

The latter, lol.

Hard for me to picture what a fluid layout would look like. I have no issues with the current format, though.

• Owner

How does the board upgrade work? Would there be downtime needed for that?

Yeah, it's definitely considered a process.

I have to preserve the skins, member avatars, emoticons, and image folders (ex. the banners, topic markers)...and then overwrite all other folders that include the actual message board files. So, I have to turn the board offline.

It's thousands of files, so the uploading is what takes up most of the time. Once I get done with that, the upgrade process is usually a click-through routine up until skin files are re-cached.

• Owner

Refresh browser for a few header changes.

Not sure if I want to do the board update yet, because there are still thinks I don't like about the new version (such as the avatar changes), but we'll see.

Refresh browser for a few header changes.

Not sure if I want to do the board update yet, because there are still thinks I don't like about the new version (such as the avatar changes), but we'll see.

Is there a place we can go to see the new version and avatar changes you speak of?

• Owner

Is there a place we can go to see the new version and avatar changes you speak of?

http://realdealbneal.com/forums

Not much different, really. There's a thing with the avatar that is bothering the hell out of me, though. They took it away. Your avatar (in posts) is now your profile picture...and it has to be a perfect square (at least it seems that way).

There's a topic preview, but I don't care much for that...makes it easier for people to read topics, and they don't even have to enter each one (probably less posting).

The only feature I'd like to have is the ability to see more details about your reputation, but I'm not so sure the sacrifice is worth it.

http://realdealbneal.com/forums

Not much different, really. There's a thing with the avatar that is bothering the hell out of me, though. They took it away. Your avatar (in posts) is now your profile picture...and it has to be a perfect square (at least it seems that way).

There's a topic preview, but I don't care much for that...makes it easier for people to read topics, and they don't even have to enter each one (probably less posting).

The only feature I'd like to have is the ability to see more details about your reputation, but I'm not so sure the sacrifice is worth it.

More details? Like which posts got repped? Could you be more specific?

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

• Owner

More details? Like which posts got repped? Could you be more specific?

Yeah, I guess it gives you a list of your repped posts, and who repped them (maybe).

It would be nice to have a points system here, so we can place bets on games...but IPB doesn't have one, and I honestly have no idea how to code one for the board (sad to say, since I should be able to...but I'm more familiar with general programming than coding programs compatible for IPB -- much different).