Contract year players that will break out?

AboveLegit

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The poll shows the top players that are in the last year of their contract. Who will have the best season that leads to a new, larger deal?

I intentionally left out James Harden because he'd be the clear favorite and is a lock for a max contract (Houston and Dallas already went on record saying they'd offer it). I also left out Ty Lawson because there have been numerous reports saying he's working on an extension right now with the Nuggets.

Edited by AboveLegit

• Owner

From those above, I'm going to say Jrue Holiday, for a number of reasons:

1) He doesn't have a history of injuries, and his team won't be loaded with guys that are wanting the ball in their hands (Lee, Bogut, Barnes, Jefferson, Rush, Klay, Landry, Jack...there's a LOT going on there). I'm starting to think Curry is going to suffer through an ankle injury for the rest of his career, anyway...seems like it will never heal.

2) Evans and the Kings are going to get a divorce, and I don't think it will happen until mid-season (or he will leave via FA). That means, he'll be playing part of his season for a team he just doesn't want to play for, and the other half on a new team he'll need to adjust to. Josh Smith may apply here, also.

3) I don't think Mayo will get the ball enough in Dallas, and I have a feeling that team will be dysfunctional this upcoming season. Just a hunch.

For the others, I don't know...I just think Jrue may find it easier to score with a true post player (and the second best center) down low, and he may rack up more assists, without Iguodala facilitating most of the offense. He put up 14/5 on 43% FG last year, and you know his FG% may very well shoot up.

Will Nick Young screw that up? I don't know...you tell me, lol. I'd like to see a Nick Young that doesn't think he's Kobe.

• Like 1

I went with Curry. I can see him averaging 18-7 this year.

Evans was eliminated because he won't get the minutes with the Kings and I don't like how Mayo fits in with the Mavs. Holiday could have a big year with Williams gone so he's my number 2.

Smith should also be kept out. He averaged 19-10-4 last year, and this year with JJ gone will only get more touches and looks. I expect 22-11-6 from his this year.

But besides him it's going to be OJ Mayo. He's finally a starter and is actually needed to shoot and score for them to win. Mans gonna have a few monster game this year. Could easily see him averaging around 20-5-5 as long as he gets 32+minutes.

I went with Curry. I can see him averaging 18-7 this year.

Evans was eliminated because he won't get the minutes with the Kings and I don't like how Mayo fits in with the Mavs. Holiday could have a big year with Williams gone so he's my number 2.

With the squad that they have Curry could average 18-10 but his right ankle is always the issue. He really needs to stay healthy this year.