Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph: Can They Co-Exist?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a lot of rumblings about whether the Grizzlies are better when one of these players are out of the lineup and if the two of them can co-exist on the floor together.

So far there really hasn't been a large sample size of the two playing together since Gay was injured for a lot of the season 2 years ago and Z-Bo missed a large majority of the season last year (and even when he did play, he was still not himself due to the knee). Despite that, they haven't exactly set the world on fire even when both were healthy and playing together.

In the playoffs last year the Grizzlies seemed like a team who was confused about their identity. Should they bang down low with Gasol and Randolph? Or should they look to get Gay going on the perimeter? Not to take anything away from the Clippers, but I believe the Grizzlies beat themselves more than anything in that series last year.

I haven't watched any of Memphis' preseason games this year, but looking at the stats, it seems to back up the fact that Gay and Randolph struggle playing together. Gay is shooting just 35% from the field and averaging 13 points a night. In the one game that he played in where Randolph didn't play, he scored 20 points and got to the line 12 times (although he shot 3-12). In the 5 games that Randolph has played in, Gay has got to the line only 15 times.

So yeah, just looking at it from a box score standpoint, it suggests that the two of them aren't exactly being able to thrive together. Granted, it is preseason only so I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on numbers, it is a bit troublesome since the two haven't shown before that they have great chemistry together.

With all of this said, do you believe Gay and Randolph can co-exist? If not, who do you look to trade, either at the deadline or next summer?

If you choose to deal Gay, what kind of player should Memphis target? Ditto for Randolph.

I think they can coexist, but the ceiling isn't high.

Both are volume scorers who don't do much else. Randolph is a great rebounder, but he makes minimal defensive impact and is an average-at-best passer (and not a willing one). Gay does nothing at a high level besides score. Neither guys are particularly efficient at scoring, and Gay isn't an elite 3pt shooter, so the variety in scoring isn't great.

They can certainly figure out how to balance attempts and figure out different sweet spots to where the other player won't be effecting the quality of shots they get. But, where does that ultimately get you? Not far. Randolph, when healthy, is the better overall player, and proved 2 seasons ago that he can be a decent 1st option. Instead of giving 15 shot attempts to Gay alongside him, it'd be more productive to give him a more elite 3pt shooter who has some versatility, and balance the shots between that player and other guys on the team who deserve more exposure (Gasol, Conley specifically). This would lead to a more balanced team that would maximize its talents, as opposed to the current team which can't overcome its issues of redundant talent like Miami did.

• Owner

When I look at the Grizzlies, I see a team like the Pacers. You have guys (Gay, Randolph) who are better as second and third options, exactly like you have in Indiana (Granger, West), and while you can be a decent playoff team with the right kind of balance, you aren't going to contend that way. The worst place to be is in the middle, and it feels like Memphis is stuck there...low playoff seed, or just outside of the playoffs, with a mid-first draft pick, and a small market team.

I think Rudy and Zach would do fine together if they had a primary option to play behind, maybe an elite two-guard that can facilitate an offense (or a three that can do it, and Rudy slides down to the two-guard slot, but you won't find many of those available...there's only one).

Otherwise, you have two guys who need the ball to be effective, who both can get you 20 a night, and are reluctant passers. As Nitro noted, besides scoring, neither do anything else well (other than Zach's rebounding).

Sadly, both Rudy and Zach are getting big money for the next three years. Randolph has a PO after those two seasons ($16.5 million), and Gay will be making $19 million during the 2014-15 season. Gasol is also going to cash in, and Conley has the longest contract of their top four players, so the Grizzlies really are stuck. Nobody will want Randolph until he becomes an expiring, Gay is making almost as much money as LeBron, Durant, and D-Will, and Gasol is up there with Iguodala and around $2.5 million from Rose.