Josh Thole

PTBNL

for

D'Arnoud

Noah Syndergaard

John Buck

PTBNL

If this is true, awesome :)

Yeah, I think the Mets got a fantastic deal. The potential of their rotation is through the roof with guys like Niese, Wheeler, Harvey, Syndergaard etc..

Part of me is kind of hoping that Dickey and the Jays don't get an extension done (Rosenthal is saying they have until Tuesday at 2PM EST to get one done) because I'm not too thrilled on giving up both D'Arnaud and Syndergaard. I realize Dickey is one of the elite pitchers in the game and is a knuckleballer so his age shouldn't be as big of an issue as more traditional pitchers, but still, I don't know.

I'm sure I'll be able to talk myself into it when/if it becomes official since they do still have Sanchez, Osuna, Smoarl and Stroman in the pipeline, but I just hate to see D'Arnaud be dealt. Obviously I've never seen him play before, but he sounds like he is going to be an absolute stud and I'm not much of an Arencibia fan.

At the end of the day, if this deal makes the Jays a world series contender, I'll be ok with it even if D'Arnaud becomes the next Buster Posey or something.

I guess we're really going all out for the series this year. :)

I don't know much about D'arnaud except that hes a catcher and that i've been hearing hes one of the best prospects in baseball for a few years now. I figured he'd be stepping into the lineup soon, so it sucks to see him go. Especially considering JP Arencibia kind of sucks tbh. Still, having the Cy young award winner in our lineup is worth it considering pitching was our downfall last year. Its time to go get that world series!

Yeah, I think the Mets got a fantastic deal. The potential of their rotation is through the roof with guys like Niese, Wheeler, Harvey, Syndergaard etc..

Part of me is kind of hoping that Dickey and the Jays don't get an extension done (Rosenthal is saying they have until Tuesday at 2PM EST to get one done) because I'm not too thrilled on giving up both D'Arnaud and Syndergaard. I realize Dickey is one of the elite pitchers in the game and is a knuckleballer so his age shouldn't be as big of an issue as more traditional pitchers, but still, I don't know.

I'm sure I'll be able to talk myself into it when/if it becomes official since they do still have Sanchez, Osuna, Smoarl and Stroman in the pipeline, but I just hate to see D'Arnaud be dealt. Obviously I've never seen him play before, but he sounds like he is going to be an absolute stud and I'm not much of an Arencibia fan.

At the end of the day, if this deal makes the Jays a world series contender, I'll be ok with it even if D'Arnaud becomes the next Buster Posey or something.

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs wrote a good post last night about why this is a much more defensible trade than the Rays/Royals trade last week, which was basically the same structure. Perhaps it will help you feel better. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/how-to-go-for-broke-blue-jays-style/

As a Phillies fan, I am disappointed that D'Arnaud winds up back in the NL East just as Halladay's arm becomes completely fried :(.

Edited by Phightins

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs wrote a good post last night about why this is a much more defensible trade than the Rays/Royals trade last week, which was basically the same structure. Perhaps it will help you feel better. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/how-to-go-for-broke-blue-jays-style/

I haven't read that post yet, but I do understand the logic behind the deal.

Bautista and Encarnacion are signed until 2016. Dickey will likely get an extension that runs until 2016. The Yankees are looking very vulnerable with their age and also losing some players this summer. The Red Sox don't appear to be a huge player for the next season or two. If there is ever a time to go "all in" it is now with Bautista and EE in their primes and the two major powers in the AL East on the potential downswing.

The Jays have the pieces in place after their earlier moves this offseason. Dickey makes them a legitimate contender (on paper, at least) and you will be hard pressed to find a better time to make your move than now.

I'm just going to hate to see D'Arnaud mash in another uniform.

• 1 month later...

#braves trying hard for justin upton. they offered "strong'' package. dbacks also talking kubel w/ o's.

– Jon Heyman ‏(@JonHeymanCBS) January 23, 2013

#Braves deep in young arms that could form basis of potential Upton trade. #Diamondbacks also like Gattis' power. SS Ahmed another option.

– Ken Rosenthal ‏(@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2013

Starting to get excited about baseball again after seeing these tweets about Justin Upton being dealt to Atlanta. Love how Wren is going hard after him.

Can't even imagine being a D-Backs fan right now. The offer Seattle made (which Upton shot down with his no trade clause) would have been an incredible haul for them. Now they have to settle for....this.

Pretty rough.