Lowry out 1-2 Weeks; Fields has surgery, out indefinitely

Forward-guard Landry Fields underwent ulnar nerve transposition surgery yesterday to address compression/entrapment in his right elbow. The surgery was performed by Dr. Andrew Weiland at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

There is no timetable for a return to basketball activity for Fields. He will be re-assessed in two weeks by Dr. Weiland.

Guard Kyle Lowry has a bruised cuboid bone in his right foot. He will be treated symptomatically with an estimated return time of 1-2 weeks.

I don't know about Fields. Part of me is optimistic that after the surgery he will just be bad rather than non-NBA caliber, but I just can't help but feel that the issues extend beyond this injury, especially considering his numbers last year.

Awesome about Lowry though, I was starting to worry it might be something serious, and hopefully it doesn't become serious. We need him badly right now. People are upset he isn't back for Saturday, but the fact they know what it is, and it is only a couple weeks, that is good news for my ears.

• Owner

Bruised bone in Lowry's foot? He may be back on the court in 1-2 weeks, but you're going to see issues for a while. Foot problems are the toughest to heal when you're an athlete, and of course, it's because you're always on your feet. Even as a PG, with less weight than, say, Yao Ming...you're still pushing off on your crossovers, still sidestepping on drives, cutting off your man back on defense...and you'll probably see him struggling to do those things for quite some time.

Fields...well, doesn't matter, honestly. Could be a blessing in disguise, even though you're now paying him to not play.

Despite his horrible offensive contributions thus far, he was providing a good defensive body while running the floor whenever given the chance. He'd be good to have back, just in a different role this time around.

Eh, can't really agree with that.

He was pretty mediocore defensively in the games he played in. He seemed to have a tendency to lose track of his man off the ball and gave up a lot of open looks from the perimeter. Maybe this can be attributed to him overhelping, I don't really know, but he hasn't done a particularly good job of guarding spot up shooters. Players are shooting 6-9 from three on the season against him. Small sample size, yeah, but still.

Overall his defensive assignments are shooting 13-28 (46.4%) with Fields guarding them. Opposing players are also scoring on 46% of their offensive possessions against Fields.

For a reference point, Jose Calderon, a notoriously poor defender, isn't getting scored on that much. His scored on % is only 37%. His 46% is even higher than Bargnani's 45%.

I believe the only player on the roster who's defensive assignments score on them more frequently than Fields is Valanciunas.

At this point in time the only thing the Raptors can do is hope that this surgery fixes his broken jumper because otherwise he is a complete dud out there. Even his running the floor, which I do agree with in that he does it well, isn't really providing much considering his abysmal finishing (shooting just 14.7% in transition).

Eh, can't really agree with that.

He was pretty mediocore defensively in the games he played in. He seemed to have a tendency to lose track of his man off the ball and gave up a lot of open looks from the perimeter. Maybe this can be attributed to him overhelping, I don't really know, but he hasn't done a particularly good job of guarding spot up shooters. Players are shooting 6-9 from three on the season against him. Small sample size, yeah, but still.

Overall his defensive assignments are shooting 13-28 (46.4%) with Fields guarding them. Opposing players are also scoring on 46% of their offensive possessions against Fields.

For a reference point, Jose Calderon, a notoriously poor defender, isn't getting scored on that much. His scored on % is only 37%. His 46% is even higher than Bargnani's 45%.

I believe the only player on the roster who's defensive assignments score on them more frequently than Fields is Valanciunas.

At this point in time the only thing the Raptors can do is hope that this surgery fixes his broken jumper because otherwise he is a complete dud out there. Even his running the floor, which I do agree with in that he does it well, isn't really providing much considering his abysmal finishing (shooting just 14.7% in transition).

All good points but at this point, if we're desperate enough to consistently be starting Dominic McGuire, I'd have Fields back asap to start a deeper SF rotation. Honestly, the play of the Raptors this season is disappointing and is very much similar to what we were doing last year. One would think that this entire new philosophy of Casey and the new players coming in would make a difference but I can't seem to spot one.

Back to the concern of Fields and the 3 spot, we really don't have a starting caliber 3. The best bet would honestly be to unload players and snag a bigger name SF or pick up someone smaller like a Pietrus (who we were rumoured to be interested in)

Edited by RaptorsHQ

Yeah, I can agree with that. The small forward spot is a grand canyon sized hole for this team.

If it were up to me I'd probably start Kleiza simply because he can space the floor to allow DeRozan more room to post up. With Fields or McGuire out there teams are sending 2nd defenders at DeRozan as they have no concern about getting beat from deep by Fields or McGuire. Kleiza can be a chucker at times, but at least he can knock down shots.

People may mention the defense but, really, it's not like Fields was doing much on that end of the floor (like I posted above) and McGuire is a good man defender, but his off ball defense is a train wreck. So are the Raps really losing anything on that end of the floor by starting Kleiza?

Agreed. The way Kleiza has been playing should getting him a few starting nods. I love his role as the energizer on this team however and I think he provides a perfect punch off the bench so I hope that effect doesn't disappear if we begin to start him. McGuire is the best option as our defensive SF and it's a shame that Anderson is also injured because a McGuire/Kleiza/Anderson rotation could of worked well.