Memphis: contender or pretender?

Abro

Contender, although I don't know if they can beat Miami, either of the LA teams, or SA in a 7 game series. Their defense, rebounding, top scorers and terrific homecourt can give them a chance against any team in the league in a series, but I question if they have the depth and scoring off the bench to be a serious contender. Losing OJ Mayo's scoring punch off the bench will hurt them in May when a series against those teams reaches Game 6 and 7.

Well if they hit threes non stop then they are unbeatable...freaking slapped us across the face with it all game. There are teams that can stop there post game and rebounding, I don't know if the Heat are ready stop that at this point of the season, since I am still a firm believer that they are eating shit on defense most of the time.

Edited by SRV

• Owner

Well if they hit threes non stop then they are unbeatable...freaking slapped us across the face with it all game.

You could say that about almost any three-point shooting team in the NBA over the years, but a lot of them end up hurting by it (live by the three, die by the three).

I can't say that Memphis is a three-point shooting team, though. They don't take that many...they just hit them at a high percentage, hit their free throws, and play pretty damn good defense.

They could be a top four team in the West, but that doesn't mean much to me. As Nitro pointed out, it's hard to see them knocking off the Lakers, Clippers and Spurs. I'd put the Thunder in there as well, even though it seems as if Westbrook is far too selfish this season (it will likely change).

I can't see a team, led by Rudy Gay, winning the conference.

They aren't led by Rudy Gay. That's the thing. If you insist on someone being the "lead" player on this team, I can't see it being anyone other than Gasol. I am honestly surprised you would call consider Gay to be leading this team. If anything, they are winning in spite of his so-so play offensively thus far.

What is their glaring weakness? They have good perimeter defense, hit the glass hard, 2 quick points who can both penetrate and find open shooters, I guess interior defense can be a question mark since Randolph is brutal in his own end, and Marc can be slow footed at times. Tony Allen and Conley are both plus defenders, especially Allen, and Gay is athletic and can cover ground.

Floor spacing and rim protection are my two biggest question marks. Gay still tends to stop the ball at times, but his efficiency continues to increase. When Bayless is your best shooter, that is a definite concern too.

I don't consider them the favourites, that title is still reserved for the Lakers. But I put them right there with the Clippers, if not ahead of them. Top 10 offensive and defensive deficiency = lots of wins.

• Owner

Gay is their go-to guy down the stretch, and without looking, I'm sure he's also attempting the most shots by a significant margin, so basically, he's the guy leading the team, even if he's not as efficient as Randolph or Gasol.

But, assuming they don't have a leader...well, that really tells me they aren't going anywhere, because it's very rare to see a team without a leader chase after a championship. You could point to the 2004 Pistons as the last team to get to the Finals without a clear-cut leader, but people will argue for Billups.

Memphis would shock the hell out of me if they went to the Finals.

But, assuming they don't have a leader...well, that really tells me they aren't going anywhere, because it's very rare to see a team without a leader chase after a championship. You could point to the 2004 Pistons as the last team to get to the Finals without a clear-cut leader, but people will argue for Billups.

That team was led by Big Ben IMO. This Memphis team is of a similar identity...their leaders aren't necessarily the guys doing the most chucking, but rather giving them the most in the areas they are strongest, which is defense and rebounding. Z-Bo and Gasol are the "leaders" of this team. I'd lean towards Z-Bo, since he was clearly their motor 2 years ago when they took out SA and brought OKC to 7.

Gay is their go-to guy down the stretch, and without looking, I'm sure he's also attempting the most shots by a significant margin, so basically, he's the guy leading the team, even if he's not as efficient as Randolph or Gasol.

Memphis would shock the hell out of me if they went to the Finals.

It would shock the hell out of me too. But to say they don't scare you, well I would probably think you were lying.