How Valuable is OKC's Raptors Pick?

Pretty simple really, how valuable is this pick for the Thunder?

Toronto is looking like they are going to fall short of preseason expectations where many believed they'd be fighting for a playoff spot, but ultimately finishing 9th-10th in the East. Instead, Toronto is currently sitting tied for the 2nd worst record in the league and are about to enter a hellish 2 weeks in their schedule (a 10 day, 5 game west coast trip and then returning home to play Brooklyn, Dallas and Houston n a 6 day, 3 game homestand) that could easily see them sitting around 6-20 or worse. Their schedule is very home heavy towards the 2nd half of the season and should likely result in them working their way out of the bottom 4 or so in the league, but at that point will too much damage have been done?

The pick is top 3 protected this season but I find it unlikely that Toronto will end up with a top 3 pick (unless they get lottery luck) but it is looking very likely that it will end up in the 4-8 range.

If you were Presti, what would you do with this pick? Say Toronto is sitting with the 5th/6th worst record in the league at the deadline, would you look to flip the pick for a low post scorer? Would you keep the pick to use for yourself? Would you hold onto it and then look to possibly make a move on draft night?

The fact that we are going to be trying to win in the last 20 games, where teams like Washington and Cleveland will be trying to lose on purpose, almost guarantees we won't be in the top 5.

Also, if I had to choose Lowry or this pick, I think I would still rather have Lowry, right this minute.

I am 99% certain that pick will be right around where it was last year, just by virtue of the fact (like last year) we won't be tanking down the stretch.

Picking in that 5-10 range is so hit or miss. I'm not sure what sort of value it holds, you have to think that it could definitely start a discussion for Anderson Varejao though.

Who says no to Perkins+Raps pick+Lamb for Varejao?

Edited by Check my Stats

• Owner

The fact that we are going to be trying to win in the last 20 games, where teams like Washington and Cleveland will be trying to lose on purpose, almost guarantees we won't be in the top 5.

LOL. That's hilarious. Probably true, also.

Cleveland.

Also, if I had to choose Lowry or this pick, I think I would still rather have Lowry, right this minute.

I am 99% certain that pick will be right around where it was last year, just by virtue of the fact (like last year) we won't be tanking down the stretch.

Picking in that 5-10 range is so hit or miss. I'm not sure what sort of value it holds, you have to think that it could definitely start a discussion for Anderson Varejao though.

That's an interesting deal. I hear Perkins, Lamb and Perry, but not with the pick instead of Perry. I'd go with that trade.

Like CMS said, the pick will probably be around 8 or 9 like it was last year. I think worst case scenario (Raptors wise) might be getting 3rd overall pick in a shitty draft class and then having to give up next years pick which supposedly looks much better.

On the topic of the thread, if I'm OKC i'd trade the pick for veteran help of some kind going into the playoffs. Something like Brooklyn's trade for Wallace last year, except they would be doing the trade for a different reason. Varejao is an interesting possibility. If I'm Cleveland I would be reluctant to trade him, but a package including Perkins, Jones/Lamb and the 1st would be hard to turn down for the future.

• Owner

Why would Cleveland want Perkins and his contract? I also don't understand the need for Jeremy Lamb, when you have Waiters and Irving eating up the minutes in the backcourt.

You're basically trading Varejao for a Raptors pick that is top three protected, a player with a bad contract and that has been overrated for a while now, and a rookie that has yet to prove anything AND won't get enough burn behind someone like Waiters (who Cleveland loves).

Here's my take...

OKC is a win-now team. They need to get rid of the pick, and the only teams that will give you win-now pieces for that pick are bottom-feeders that are rebuilding. Now, centers are the most valuable talent in the NBA because of their rarity, and a mid-lottery draft pick alone probably won't get you what you need there, especially if you are trying to package a Kendrick Perkins contract along with him.

Ok, so what is an OKC weakness that could be sorted out with this pick? 2 years ago, when Harden was still on the come-up but struggling to get minutes in tight situations, they lacked a 3rd playmaker. I feel they are back to that situation, which is why Durant is forcing the playmaking thing this year, especially with Maynor struggling. It has manifested itself in them leading the turnovers as well. Luckily, PG is one of the 2 most stacked positions in the league (next to PF).

So, that brings us to the league's bottom-feeders...the two that have legit PG's are Phoenix (Dragic), and ironically, Toronto. We know that Toronto will not give up Lowry, however Calderon's playmaking and shooting ability could be a HUGE asset for OKC. Much like how Kevin Martin has been put in that situation and is having a sensational yet as the 3rd wheel, I feel Calderon could shine as a key piece off that bench with all that talent surrounding him. As for the Phoenix thing, I feel Dragic would be an amazing 6th man on the Thunder, and is probably attainable.

Also, that pick and some kind of sweetener could land Marcin Gortat, who is a little lesser-known than Varejao, and might be easier to get.

Lastly, OKC could always go for another PF with that pick as trade bait. Like I said, it's probably the most stacked position in the NBA, and with Durant/Ibaka you don't need a traditional centers because they are very good rebounders and Ibaka is the kind of rim protector you expect out of a center. Perkins is not a very good rebounder, anyway, and not a threat offensively, so getting a PF who could give you even more of both would make OKC considerably more dangerous and explosive. Miami layed out the blueprint with that kind of lineup, and OKC is probably the only other team who is talented and versatile enough to succeed with it as well.

If they want to go all in for this year, trade it for a big but ultimately I think OKC is going to hang based on 1) Presti's draft history, 2) the fact that whoever they draft will be on the payroll for merely $3-$4 million for 4 years and 3) the Thunder are clearly not a big spending team or else they wouldn't have done the Harden deal.

IF that pick were to be dealt, it would have to be someone under contract for at least a few more years (if the Harden deal is any indication, its that OKC won't dig very deep into their pockets for an extension) and be signed to a moderate contract. Anderson Varejao isn't likely but if he were to become available...that would be interesting, he's earning just $8.4 million this year and locked up until 2015 (assuming his team option for 2014-2015 is picked up).