Kobe Bryant passes 30,000 point mark

Real Deal

• Owner

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/Kobe_Points2012.png

He's 34 years old, averaging 28 PPG.

He should pass Wilt this season (if he stays at 28 PPG), Jordan early next season. Needs around 8,300+ to get Kareem (probably won't happen, he'd need four more seasons of 21+ PPG, and I doubt he'll be playing that much longer).

• Like 1

• Owner

If Kobe reaches Malone, which wouldn't exactly shock me if he's not going to stick to his word about retiring, he'll stick around long enough to beat out Kareem, unless his knees ruin him. Once he hits that mark Malone set, knowing Kobe, he'll go one more season of 15-20 PPG.

Again, Kareem is just four seasons of 21+ PPG away (assuming he stays at 28 PPG this season). It's not that big of a reach.

• Owner

Let's go a bit deeper into the math...

If he continues the pace (28 PPG) this season, he'll end up with around 31,780 points to end the season.

From there, he'll be 6,607 points behind Kareem.

That's just four seasons of 20.1 PPG...and Kobe would be around 38-39 years old when he reaches the mark (at that pace...I can't assume he'll average 20 PPG in the next 2-3 years, either...he's better than that).

It's in reach.

• Owner

Kobe 30,000 points 1,180 games - MJ 960 games (220 fewer) - Awesome accomplishment either way, but it really shows one how crazy of a scorer MJ was.

That's about 2.5 seasons extra of high-level scoring, which Kobe could have probably done earlier in his career + may have had without Shaq.

However, without Shaq, you could argue he would not have won those championships.

What if Kobe was paired with Duncan instead? That would have been interesting. He could have won those first three, or two of three, and averaged more PPG in the first and second run, maybe in the 2004 season (when he averaged 24 because of Malone and Payton)...so, yeah, a lot of factors there.

Jordan's teams were pretty good, very complete in regards to how they were constructed. For the most part, our championships were all Kobe and Shaq. We had Horry, Fisher, Harper, etc...but those guys weren't as good as the role players back in Chicago.

Kobe 30,000 points 1,180 games - MJ 960 games (220 fewer) - Awesome accomplishment either way, but it really shows one how crazy of a scorer MJ was.

And just think about what he could have done if he didn't lose about 5 total seasons due retirements/injury (his 2nd season he missed like 70 games I believe due to a broken ankle or something).

yeah i agree 220 games fewer but kobe became the youngest to reach 30k

And just think about what he could have done if he didn't lose about 5 total seasons due retirements/injury (his 2nd season he missed like 70 games I believe due to a broken ankle or something).

he faced 2 lockout seasons as well

• Owner

Yo imagine a guy out of HS started pouring in 2000 points a season since he was 18? Oh wait...

If you're talking about LeBron, he was 20 just a month into the first season he had 2,000+ points.

In NBA history, there is no player, at 18 or 19 years old (by February of that season), who has scored 2,000 points in a single season.

(..) It will take three more seasons of Bryant matching his career scoring average of about 25 ppg to catch the No. 2 man, Karl Malone (36,928), and into a fourth season to overtake the game’s all-time leading scorer, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387). (...) OK, so how about 40k? (...) Kobe’s pursuit of 40k could ultimately come down to his desire to keep going. If he finishes this season with 2,000 points (he’s on pace for more, but 2,000 is about his average over the last four seasons) he’ll have 31,484 points. That means he would need to score about 1,750 points (an average of 21.3 points over 82 games) in each of the next five seasons to surpass 40k.

(It’s a point total he has eclipsed in 11 of his previous 16 seasons, including last year’s 66-game lockout-adjusted schedule if extrapolated over 82 games. He could also get there with about 2,150 points in each of the next four seasons, but that’s probably too tall an order, even for Kobe.)

Kobe would turn 39 prior to that fifth season, which would be his 22nd, or the same age as Jason Kidd is this season, his 19th, or how old new teammate Steve Nash will turn in February of this, his 17th season. “This being 17 years for me, it’s pretty crazy to me. Sometimes I just don’t know what the hell I’m doing here,” Kobe said, grinning before last Friday’s game against Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder. “To be competing and still be at a high level, again, that’s fun.” (...)

IS 40K POSSIBLE FOR KOBE, LEBRON AND KD?

How many here think the talk of Kobe reaching 40K is realistic? I don't.

Edited by Sħãlïq

I wouldnt rule anything out. How many thought hed be averaging close to 30 this season? Shooting 48 % at that.

The only thing that worries me is his durability. He always says how he feels beat up after every game, and it is his 17th season in the league. Jordan was good at age 40, but he hadnt played as many seasons as Kobe. Could you imagine someone dropping 25+ per game in their 20th season? At some point hes going to regress. You could argue statistically hes having his best season since 06.