Broussard mentions Howard to the Clippers

This is what he wrote. From ESPN Insider:

The Los Angeles Lakers have plenty of issues to worry about right now, their lack of offensive execution and their lack of transition defense foremost among them. But there's another pressing issue the Lakers might soon have to consider if their season continues along this negative path -- their lack of Dwight Howard's signature on a contract. Since Howard was traded to the Lakers in the offseason, it has been virtually a foregone conclusion that he would re-sign with the club after this season. The Lakers seemed to have everything Howard wanted -- a great pass-first point guard, a legitimate chance to win championships, a bustling metropolis with tons of endorsement opportunities and, of course, Hollywood.

To be sure, I believe the Lakers are the likely long-term landing spot for Howard. But if this season continues to worsen, the probability of his departure will only grow.

But with the way things are currently going for the 9-13 Lakers, one has to wonder if Howard might consider leaving. Howard told a Los Angeles Times reporter this week that he already knows where he's going to sign, then he spoke glowingly about Los Angeles and his ability to play with Kobe Bryant. It sounded as if he's still planning on a future with the Lakers, but Howard has been known to change his mind. Make no mistake, the Lakers are still the front-runners in the Dwight Howard Sweepstakes. After all, Howard enjoys the city, and the Lakers can offer him a five-year contract worth $117.9 million while other clubs can pay him only $87.6 million over four years. But if a poor season sours him on Los Angeles, there are some intriguing opportunities elsewhere. Let's take a look at them:

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lac.gif

I have been pushing a Clippers trade for Howard for a year now. I thought the Clippers should have offered Blake Griffin to the Orlando Magic for Howard. I'm sure Orlando would have taken a package built around Griffin, and I'm sure Howard would sign on long term to play with Chris Paul. But the Clippers didn't want to risk losing Griffin, whom they signed to a long-term deal, for what might have amounted to a one-year rental of Howard.

Well, if it goes so badly with the Lakers that Howard decides he will leave after the season, the Clippers should finally make a run at him. My intitial offer would be DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe for Howard in a sign-and-trade. I doubt the Lakers would accept that, especially since they'd be sending Howard down the hall to the in-town rival. OK, so then I'd offer Blake and Bledsoe.

I know the Lakers won't want to trade Howard to the Clippers, but if they're going to lose him anyway, tey couldn't do much better than getting Griffin and Bledsoe in return. Bledsoe, who looks as if he could become a very good starting point guard, would go a long way toward solving the Lakers' perimeter defensive problems and Blake would give them one of the game's most exciting players and biggest draws. To be sure, I believe the Lakers are the likely long-term landing spot for Howard. But if this season continues to worsen, the probability of his departure will only grow.

At this point, I'm not sure I want Dwight aboard the Clippership... :unsure:

Explain please.

I don't even think it's worth the risk. I'm really happy with DeAndre Jordan. Sure, DeAndre's numbers aren't near Howard's but I look at team chemistry and right now that matters more to me. DeAndre brings a contagious chemistry that rubs off on the whole team: you see it with Barnes, Crawford, CP3, Chauncey.. everyone.

This team is close in many ways. Just a random example: DJ was Barnes' best man in his wedding this off-season...

Edited by Sħãlïq

I mentioned it in the summer too. It probably won't happen, but its still interesting.

Who says no to DeAndre+Bledsoe+2 firsts for Dwight if Dwight decides he wants to walk away this summer? I don't think he will, but that's a pretty nice haul for the Lakers instead of losing him for nothing to Dallas or Atlanta. It doesn't matter though since Dwight ain't going nowhere unless CP3 decides he wants to play in Atlanta or Dallas with Dwight, CP3 would be a retard to leave that Clippers team though even though their owner is the worst in sports.

Always wanted to see the Paul/Dwight duo...they'd be disgusting together. Especially since the rest of the team is filled with explosive shooters and speed. If a package around Jordan/Bledsoe got that deal done, they'd be the title favorite IMO. I don't care about Jordan's chemistry with the team, he's nowhere near the threat that Dwight is.

Always wanted to see the Paul/Dwight duo...they'd be disgusting together. Especially since the rest of the team is filled with explosive shooters and speed. If a package around Jordan/Bledsoe got that deal done, they'd be the title favorite IMO. I don't care about Jordan's chemistry with the team, he's nowhere near the threat that Dwight is.

I see where you're coming from but think about the future... While Howard has pretty much realized his potential, DeAndre is not a finished product. And what is the Lakers record with Dwight..? Howard has clearly been underperfoming. He could easily flee to Atlanta, Dallas or Houston next year. His missed FTs are driving Kobe berserk. Also, I'm not feeling how Howard doesn't live and die with the result of every basketball game. From what I heard, Kobe has went "You don't know sh!t about winning 'ships!" on Dwight — during a scrimmage last week, when the second unit beat the starters partly 'cause DH12 checked out (wasn't getting the ball too much), followed by Kobe blistering him. I saw an interesting thought on some other forum that made me wonder if a championship team can really be built around Howard. It seems the only way it can be done is by doing what the Magic did: plopping him in the middle and surrounding him with four 3-pt shooters. That's it! If you surround him with any other type of team -- it won't work.

Plus, putting Bledsoe in that trade is a no brainer to me. Bled is your future starting PG. Imagine if CP3 gets a season-ending injury -- this team would be lost without E-Bled as its backup.

Edited by Sħãlïq

I see where you're coming from but think about the future... While Howard has pretty much realized his potential, DeAndre is not a finished product. And what is the Lakers record with Dwight..? Howard has clearly been underperfoming. He could easily flee to Atlanta, Dallas or Houston next year. His missed FTs are driving Kobe berserk. Also, I'm not feeling how Howard doesn't live and die with the result of every basketball game. From what I heard, Kobe has went "You don't know sh!t about winning 'ships!" on Dwight — during a scrimmage last week, when the second unit beat the starters partly 'cause DH12 checked out (wasn't getting the ball too much), followed by Kobe blistering him. I saw an interesting thought on some other forum that made me wonder if a championship team can really be built around Howard. It seems the only way it can be done is by doing what the Magic did: plopping him in the middle and surrounding him with four 3-pt shooters. That's it! If you surround him with any other type of team -- it won't work.

Plus, putting Bledsoe in that trade is a no brainer to me. Bled is your future starting PG. Imagine if CP3 gets a season-ending injury -- this team would be lost without E-Bled as its backup.

Howard has realized his potential, but in his time he led a team to the Finals as the undisputed #1 guy. He led another to the ECF. He has been the best center in the league for years now.

You can use the Lakers record against Kobe as well. Do you use the 10-14 start this season over his 5 championships, including 2 as the #1 guy. No. If you get the opportunity to get Dwight, without giving up Paul or a combo of Griffin/Jordan, you do it. DeAndre is a very nice young player with a lot of potential, and I don't feel he gets near enough credit, but h simply isn't Dwight.

And Bledsoe is a great young PG, but the Clippers are in win-now mode, and you are going to win a championship with Paul leading the way, not Bledsoe. In the post-season Paul will be approaching 40MPG, with Billups backing him up for spot-minutes there, and the SG locked down with guys like Billups, Crawford, Barnes, etc... It'd be great if they could keep Bledsoe in this kind of deal, but if it means getting Dwight, you take your chances. It's a lot easier to find a more long-term replacement at PG than to make a move with the roster they currently have to be a true title contender, which Dwight would make them.