What would you do about Hack-A-Shaq?

Real Deal

• Owner

Assuming you're the NBA commissioner, what would you do about the Hack-A-Shaq "technique" that coaches use today?

I've seen it applied to more players than just Dwight Howard this year (one being Reggie Evans), and to me, it's just cheap. Slows the game down, and while I understand it's a strategy that exploits a weakness, shouldn't there be more changes made to try and prevent this from happening?

Is the "under two minute" rule enough? What would you do, otherwise?

If a player is so bad at free-throws that teams feel confident enough that they can just send them to the line every position then I think the problem is with the player. Like you said, its a strategy. I don't think the league should do anything about it.

Personally I wouldn't do a thing. The under two minute rule has done enough. The way i see it is the opposing team is basically giving you two free points if your not good enough to collect then that's your fault. Also if your players are not good enough to hit them free throws take them of the game.

I would do the opposite of what you are suggesting and get rid of the Hack-a-Shaq rule. If you can't hit FTs in the final two min (or at any point), get off the court. Now do I want to see Dwight or Reggie Evans go to the line 50 times a game? No. But the truth is that if the player isn't hitting his free throws his team will be forced to sit him. And if he is making them the opposing team will stop fouling him.

Teams shouldn't be able to foul off ball under two minutes. If they do, then the team that they intentionally fouled should get to choose their free throw shooter. Outside of that the rule should stay as is, guys need to learn to make their free throws. I'm just opposed to a tight game being decided by free throws.

I totally agree with mostly everyone, it wouldn't be a problem if dudes could hit their free throws, hit your free throws..How is it ever a disadvantage for a team to get 2 free throws every trip down? lol

Edited by fish7718

Don't do a thing about it.

However, the alternative is what I saw in a late '80's video of MJ...give out technicals for intentional fouls. However, this leaves a lot of grey area and basically makes late-game strategies of fouling to extend the game impossible. IMO it ain't worth it to cater to millionaires who refuse to improvise on their current free throw techniques which ain't working.

• Owner

See, I really don't care (well, I do, but not to the extent to change it) when it relates to us winning OR losing games...because a lot of times, the Hack-A-Shaq (in our case, Howard) can hurt a team. For me, it just takes a lot out of a game.

However, the alternative is what I saw in a late '80's video of MJ...give out technicals for intentional fouls. However, this leaves a lot of grey area and basically makes late-game strategies of fouling to extend the game impossible.

I wouldn't say that, because you're still fouling the ball-handler. All you'd have to do is apply the intentional foul rule to non-ball handlers...just specify. When teams extend the game, they foul the first person that catches the inbound pass (or trap, and go after the second player that catches it).

Just apply the "two minute rule" for the entire game, and you're solving the problem. One free throw and the ball for intentionally fouling a player without the ball on offense.

Just apply the "two minute rule" for the entire game, and you're solving the problem. One free throw and the ball for intentionally fouling a player without the ball on offense.

Then you're gonna have plays throughout the game that look like intentional fouls on notoriously bad free throw shooters that are actually legit, and it will cause false technicals. It will also have guys being more creative in getting that guy to the line without looking intentional. And it still won't stop players from wrapping Dwight up every time he gets the ball.

Instead of making it that complicated...just learn how to shoot [expletive]ing free throws.

• Owner

Then you're gonna have plays throughout the game that look like intentional fouls on notoriously bad free throw shooters that are actually legit, and it will cause false technicals.

I don't think it would happen that often. Off-the-ball fouls are hard to call, anyways, and aren't pointed out that frequently to begin with.

It will also have guys being more creative in getting that guy to the line without looking intentional.

They could do that today, but they don't. They just wrap him up. If a player wanted to, at say 1:00 left in the game, they could "battle him down low" and get called for a foul before the ball is thrown into him...but that rarely happens.

And it still won't stop players from wrapping Dwight up every time he gets the ball.

Two technical fouls gets your player ejected, so it will do more damage than a round of six fouls.

Instead of making it that complicated...just learn how to shoot [expletive]ing free throws.

I agree with him (and others) needing to learn how to shoot, but hand size, finger length, and other things hurt players trying to accomplish that...and before anyone dives into the debate about hand size and problems shooting the ball (and they go point out a few good FT shooters that are big men), it's simply true. I had a guy back in school that practiced free throws more than all of us (as we ran our asses off, unfair to us, but whatever), and even had a legit shooting coach who used to work with KU players...and he still couldn't make half of them (we didn't keep percentages but I'd guess he was around 30-40%). Dwight's form isn't great, but the player I'm talking about had better form than I did, and it didn't matter.

Rajon Rondo is in the same boat.

It's just a cheap way to win a game, in my opinion...especially if you have the size to defend someone like Howard (like Popovich has had over the years, with Tim Duncan)...but most importantly, it just slows everything down to a crawl, sucks the excitement out of a game (for both sides, I'd imagine), and basically gives teams who DON'T want to play defense a huge advantage to catch up at the end of a game, which is what I hate the most.

I don't think it would happen that often. Off-the-ball fouls are hard to call, anyways, and aren't pointed out that frequently to begin with.

They could easily over-exert themselves while trying to box him out, deny post entry, etc...

They could do that today, but they don't. They just wrap him up. If a player wanted to, at say 1:00 left in the game, they could "battle him down low" and get called for a foul before the ball is thrown into him...but that rarely happens.

They could do that today, but they don't because of the rules.

And as far as the 2nd point in your post, that's because the previous few minutes basically freeze out Dwight, so then he becomes basically a non-factor to getting the ball in the last 2min. And if you change the rules, trust me they'll try and get around it.

I agree with him (and others) needing to learn how to shoot, but hand size, finger length, and other things hurt players trying to accomplish that...and before anyone dives into the debate about hand size and problems shooting the ball (and they go point out a few good FT shooters that are big men), it's simply true. I had a guy back in school that practiced free throws more than all of us (as we ran our asses off, unfair to us, but whatever), and even had a legit shooting coach who used to work with KU players...and he still couldn't make half of them (we didn't keep percentages but I'd guess he was around 30-40%). Dwight's form isn't great, but the player I'm talking about had better form than I did, and it didn't matter.

Rajon Rondo is in the same boat.

That's bullshit. MJ had freakishly sized hands and was an excellent FT shooter. Yao was 7'6'' and was money at the FT line. Karl Malone had big hands and was built like crazy and was able to get good there.

You can get around certain physical disadvantages by using, and mastering various different techniques. If Howard had a great form, then you could start saying it's hopeless. But his technique is awful.

It's just a cheap way to win a game, in my opinion...especially if you have the size to defend someone like Howard (like Popovich has had over the years, with Tim Duncan)...but most importantly, it just slows everything down to a crawl, sucks the excitement out of a game (for both sides, I'd imagine), and basically gives teams who DON'T want to play defense a huge advantage to catch up at the end of a game, which is what I hate the most.

I agree it slows the game down, but it's within the rules, and shows to be a perfect defense when Howard is missing them. It's only a problem for like 2-3 teams in the entire NBA...it's getting a lot of publicity now because Howard is on LA and they are losing. But were you this angered by it between the Shaq-Dwight years? No. And was it getting this kind of media attention? No. And how many games out of the entire NBA schedule is this even a factor? Like 1%.

• Owner

Like I said, there will be exceptions to the rule, but most big men can't shoot a ball for a reason.

And no, I don't really care how it changes things in our win column...thought I'd be clear about that in my first post, but you can assume what you want. We won three consecutive championships with the second-greatest duo in NBA history, as Shaq struggled from the line...and in those three seasons, we were usually a bottom three team shooting FT's to begin with.

Did I care post-Shaq, pre-Dwight? Yep. I thought it was pretty dumb last season, when Golden State put Dwight Howard at the line so many times, he broke Wilt's FTA record. Most ignorant game I've seen in years.

We aren't losing games because of our free throws. If we had Nash back, had chemistry together, and worked an offense that didn't cause us to throw so many turnovers and show up late on transition, we'd be major contenders...with or without the Hack-A-Howard.

• Owner

You guys say that he should just learn how to make his free throws.

Well, shouldn't the other team just learn how to play defense? At least make an ATTEMPT.

Really isn't much of a difference there.

It almost reminds me of the NFL, when they moved kickoffs up and, basically, disabled most run-backs. Those that have special teams issues would be happiest about this, correct? Well, maybe they should learn how to play defense? And I understand the reasoning behind it, except it didn't do anything to help prevent Cutler, Vick and Smith, all starting QB's, going down with concussions on the same weekend.

In addition to that, how many of you wouldn't mind seeing NFL teams have the option, without a penalty, to kick the ball directly out of bounds on a kickoff? Would that be okay?

I have an idea: give the coach a technical foul for each off-ball intentional foul. The team gets to choose one player on the floor to shoot the technical, and then the fouled player shoots his two shots. Two techs, and the coach is gone.

You guys say that he should just learn how to make his free throws.

Well, shouldn't the other team just learn how to play defense? At least make an ATTEMPT.

Really isn't much of a difference there.

It almost reminds me of the NFL, when they moved kickoffs up and, basically, disabled most run-backs. Those that have special teams issues would be happiest about this, correct? Well, maybe they should learn how to play defense? And I understand the reasoning behind it, except it didn't do anything to help prevent Cutler, Vick and Smith, all starting QB's, going down with concussions on the same weekend.

In addition to that, how many of you wouldn't mind seeing NFL teams have the option, without a penalty, to kick the ball directly out of bounds on a kickoff? Would that be okay?

I have an idea: give the coach a technical foul for each off-ball intentional foul. The team gets to choose one player on the floor to shoot the technical, and then the fouled player shoots his two shots. Two techs, and the coach is gone.

Why should the other team play defense though if they know you can't shoot free throws?

Its like leaving a player who can't shoot threes open at the arc. Why guard him close and risk the chance of being blown by for a basket.

The goal is to take advantage of the opposing teams weakness's, whether that is one players free throw shooting or another teams lack or size. I agree it should have light restrictions (like the two minute rule) but in no way should it be restricted to the point where it's a complete disadvantage to one side.

• Owner

Why should the other team play defense though if they know you can't shoot free throws?

Its like leaving a player who can't shoot threes open at the arc. Why guard him close and risk the chance of being blown by for a basket.

That's a defensive strategy. You're still playing defense on Rajon Rondo when he's at the three-point line...by backing away and not giving him room to get to the rim.

You don't see players turning their backs and walking away from him.

Fouling a player without the ball, and intentionally, is just cheap. There's no defensive strategy to that...just avoiding playing defense altogether.