Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ce/Royal_Rumble_2013_Poster.jpg/200px-Royal_Rumble_2013_Poster.jpg

Matches so far

30 Man Royal Rumble

[Announced Participants]

John Cena

Sheamus

Randy Orton

Dolph Ziggler

Heath Slater

Jinder Mahal

Drew McIntyre

Antonio Cesaro

Wade Barrett

WWE Championship

CM Punk © vs. The Rock

World Heavyweight Championship

Alberto Del Rio © vs. The Big Show

WWE Tag Team Championship

Team Hell No © vs. Team Rhodes Scholars

--------------------------------

Now, CM Punk will defend his title against Ryback before the show, but he's likely to retain it and wrestle The Rock. I really have no clue what other matches could be added since they seem to be taking a break story wise until the new year begins.

Who do you guys think will win the Rumble? I'm going with Ryback.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

• Owner

Rocky wins the title from Punk (not sure how he doesn't, unless Brock Lesnar returns and ruins it, setting up Rock/Brock at WM...suppose this is likely).

But, I don't see Ryback winning the Rumble, because it gives him a title shot at WM.

IF he does, I'm fully expecting Undertaker to fight Cena or Punk at WM, while Cena or Punk (whoever has the belt at the time) will fight Ryback.

Think it's a given that Ryback will win the rumble and challenge Big Show(or Ziggler if he cashes in) for the WHC.

Other two big matches will probably be Cena/Rock II for the WWE Title and Brock/Taker.

Maybe when Punk and Rock can get a promo in together to help build the feud I'll change my mind, but right now I'm honestly no where near as hype for this match as I was back in Raw 1000. I love Punk and he's actually pulling off his character well but I hate his current chickenshit character, he should have stayed face or turned into a more edgy heel ala Nexus Punk heading into his feud with Rock but not this.

Rock returns January 7th to Raw, thats 3 weeks AFTER the TLC and 3 weeks of ZERO build up to the Punk-Rock match. Factor in Punk's injury and his rematch with Ryback and I'm just not seeing how this feud gets the proper build up it deserves. Shame because this feud deserves so much more.

Rocky wins the title from Punk (not sure how he doesn't, unless Brock Lesnar returns and ruins it, setting up Rock/Brock at WM...suppose this is likely).

The predictable ending but I'm all for it. Punk's had his super long reign and no better way to end it (except at WrestleMania) in one of the 3 major ppvs (not counting Survivor Series, I feel like its dropped off big time). Brock hasn't appeared since Summerslam so Royal Rumble wouldn't be a bad time for him to make one of his few appearances this year. I can't see Rock/Brock at WM though, both would be gone after the event so it makes little sense.

I'll be a happy camper with either result. Rock is my favorite wrestler of all time and Punk is the only reason to even watch the show at this point, so not opposed to him keeping the title at all.

But, I don't see Ryback winning the Rumble, because it gives him a title shot at WM.

Remember the brand split is pretty much over. My memory might be a bit hazy but I think after Sheamus won last year he was able to pick between facing Punk or Bryan for the title so Ryback would be eligible to challenge for the WHC.

My guess is that Ziggler will finally cash in on Royal Rumble and there is NO way he fails to capture the title if he does considering he just went over John Cena in TLC's main event. After that you only need Ziggler to attack Ryback at the ppv or in the following show and that pulls Ryback away from challenging Punk or Rock.

IF he does, I'm fully expecting Undertaker to fight Cena or Punk at WM, while Cena or Punk (whoever has the belt at the time) will fight Ryback.

Other two big matches will probably be Cena/Rock II for the WWE Title and Brock/Taker.

Rock/Cena II is a given although I'd rather have Rock/Punk again with Punk being a more entertaining wrestler (rewatching Rock/Cena was dreadful, I was so pumped because it was Rock but now the ending is far more predictable with Rock entering as the champion and already getting his win last year. Take away the crowd and it was a slow and boring match, rather that not main event again) and I feel like it sort of takes away from last year's match because it was dubbed "once in a lifetime". Not saying this because I'm a Punk fan but he's literally the only other wrestler in the company that makes sense as a opponent for Rock besides Cena because the only other options would make it a part time wrestler vs part time wrestler, and thats just bad business.

My rambling aside, what I think will likely happen regardless of how I feel about it is this: Rock/Cena II, Triple H/Brock, Ryback/Ziggler and Punk's opponent is a toss up between Undertaker and Stone Cold. If Punk gets Stone Cold, which has been hinted this year, then Brock gets Taker with Triple H playing some sort of role on the sidelines. However, I don't see the #2 all-time superstar in Stone Cold coming back to take a backseat to anyone including Rock so either he concedes to playing a backup role (he could always miraculously main event) or Punk/Stone Cold will be saved for next year with the seeds already sown.

Crazy ppv in terms of star power but feels way too predictable for me. No way Cena loses again, Ryback will obviously be WHC if he gets the match, Brock isn't going over HHH a 2nd time and no chance he ends the streak, and Punk probably loses his match as well.

I see Ryback or Miz winning the rumble but someone like Orton or Barrett is always a dark horse for it, any random smackdown superstar really...

Miz needs to get his babyface character over with the crowd first before thinking of winning the Rumble and Barrett is done, so much potential with Nexus but the guy is in no man's land. Orton is a strong possibility with Ryback being the heavy favorite.

• Owner

1) Hoping for no Cena/Rock II. That means Rocky is losing, simple as that.

2) If they go Ryback/Dolph (with Ryback winning the Rumble), I think they will have problems. Dolph is supposed to be a heel, but the crowd won't boo him against Ryback...and right now, Ryback is a fan favorite. There's going to have to be two legitimate turns in there, and I don't see why the WWE would do that right now.

3) Whoever fights Taker probably has the best shot at ending the streak. Sounds like a bad idea, but it's a HUGE way to put someone over...and Taker (out of character) has stated that he would be interested in doing such a thing. I don't want to see ANYONE end the streak. Quite frankly, Punk has had his title long enough to be placed among the better half of the top 50 of all-time, and he doesn't need THAT rub. Brock doesn't seem to give a shit about wrestling, so there's no point in giving him the green light to do it. Therefore, I'm thinking that Cena will be considered, either this year or the next, because he has been losing like crazy over the last year...and what ONE guy could pull something like that off? It also gives Cena a reason to turn heel...it's been resting in the back of the minds of fans for a year now, and beating Taker in a heelish way would do the trick.

Fortunately, there are many possibilities. Unfortunately, the writers aren't going to dip their hands that deep into the pool of ideas.

SCSA/Punk would be nice, and yeah, they keep pounding it into our brains, but I'll believe it when I see it. That would require a title-less Punk, anyway...and if that's in the books, you'll have Rock/Cena for the WWE championship. Will Rocky beat Punk at RR, and Cena win the Rumble?

I'd have it easier if I knew where this Shield group was headed. They kind of screw things up for me when it comes to Ryback.

For WrestleMania, I've been hearing that it will be Cena vs. Rock for the title this time, with Rock winning it from Punk at the Rumble. For the other title, Ryback wins the Rumble to challenge Big Show. Then Triple H will face Lesnar for revenge, and The Undertaker will extend his streak, probably against CM Punk?

It gets tricky though, because it would make sense to have Punk beat Rock, retain his title, and keep his year-plus title rain going to build up for a streak vs. streak match against Taker. But then, Rock/Cena II would not have a title on the line, which would make the match less attractive since it's essentially a rematch from last year.

So it's safe to say Rock/Cena will be on the card, but I have no clue how we get there, and I have no idea of the other matches.

For those who watched Raw last week, Cena announced his entry into the Rumble. So he may get to The Rock by winning it.

My Rumble pick is a 50/50 split between Cena or Ryback.

• Owner

Punk/Taker wouldn't make sense to me IF Punk still has the title. Taker shouldn't win it (because he only wrestles once a year), and Punk shouldn't end the streak (probably the greatest push anyone has had in forever, ending Taker's streak, beating Cena multiple times, beating the Rock, and having the belt for almost two years???).

I agree, I'm just thinking of what WWE would like to promote in terms of streak vs. streak.

There are many options for Taker. I've even heard an idea such as Taker help Ryback take on The Shield just to add a spin to the usual Taker mania match. It'd be nice for a change and could get more upcoming wrestlers involved as opposed to the long feuds with other veterans like Triple H and HBK that Taker has had the past four years.

Punk still hasn't gotten his big Wrestlemania win as a superstar. Yes, he already has had his super long title reign but that played second fiddle to John Cena for a good portion of it and who hasn't beaten Chris Jericho? Streak vs streak sounds interesting but obviously predictable with Punk holding the title. Honestly I don't know what they should do with Punk once he loses the title, feuding with Rock makes the most sense for him but they just HAVE to have Rock vs Cena part 2. Where does Cena even go with the title after he wins it?

Rock/Cena rematch only makes sense for me if Cena turns heel but that will NEVER happen. Face Cena is going to get KILLED by the crowd though if he wins, I can't imagine WWE wanting that but they usually spin the Cena heat anyways. At least it won't be as bad as it would be if he won in Miami.

Neither Punk nor Cena should end the streak. Cena is in the twilight of his career where he's losing matches and actually putting people over, there is no need for him to put an end to the streak. It should be a future face of the company.

I say Ziggler/Ryback because I don't see any other time Ziggler can cash besides the Rumble. IF Ziggler waits till 'Mania then that will likely be after Ryback big win and I don't see them ending Ryback's first reign so quickly.

Punk/Taker wouldn't make sense to me IF Punk still has the title. Taker shouldn't win it (because he only wrestles once a year), and Punk shouldn't end the streak (probably the greatest push anyone has had in forever, ending Taker's streak, beating Cena multiple times, beating the Rock, and having the belt for almost two years???).

Don't see Punk ending the streak but who else is there to give this kind of push? No point in overpushing Cena again and everyone else is either clearly not a superstar or not ready for a major push. So this only leaves Punk. This is what happens when you're the WWE and you force feed Cena for YEARS instead of developing younger stars (they've been doing a better job at it lately with The Shield).

Edited by Dash

• Owner

If the WWE ends the streak, it should be for Cena...but only to turn him heel. Have him cheat to win...and then demolish Taker at the end of the match.

Otherwise, no...nobody deserves to go over clean against him at WM.

Eh considering that it would have to happen WM30 at the earliest, no real point turning Cena that late into his career unless he's on board for 2-3 more years after.

Anyways did anyone catch Raw tonight? Great segment between Punk and Rock, already a better promo than Cena/Rock ever put together. I didn't like the cookie puss bit from Rock but apart from that he was solid and Punk brought his A game, the boxing with God line from him was pure gold.

Anyways did anyone catch Raw tonight? Great segment between Punk and Rock, already a better promo than Cena/Rock ever put together. I didn't like the cookie puss bit from Rock but apart from that he was solid and Punk brought his A game, the boxing with God line from him was pure gold.

Yeah, that promo was awesome. Punk was on for most of the final hour. It's impressive that after the TLC match he was able to deliver such a good ending to Raw. The Rock/Punk interaction last night makes me really interested for their match at RR. I kind of want Punk to win.

Also, I updated the list of the RR participants so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping with the Rumble being tomorrow. My predictions: 

30 Man Royal Rumble
[Announced Participants]
John Cena
Sheamus
Randy Orton
Dolph Ziggler
Heath Slater
Jinder Mahal
Drew McIntyre
Antonio Cesaro
Wade Barrett

Ryback

WWE Championship
CM Punk © vs. The Rock

World Heavyweight Championship
Alberto Del Rio © vs. The Big Show (Ziggler cashes in)

WWE Tag Team Championship
Team Hell No © vs. Team Rhodes Scholars

watching wrestling for the first time in almost a year. literally, i stopped watching almost immediately after wm last year. anything in particular i need to know?

Not much beyond Ryback is being built up as a top guy and Punk's heel turn.

Cena wins...ugh.

Yeah this guarantees Rock wins. I was holding out hope (albeit huge longshot) we might get Rock/Punk at Mania. Don't want Cena/Rock again, so stupid but whatever.